Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dump Valve

This user has no status

Thanks

Dump Valve

Is there any benefit to fitting a Bailey Dump Valve to my 850 T5? I have heard that they can damage the turbo, is this true?

This user has no status

Thanks
    There is no performance benefit as our cars already have a recirc DV unless you want the noise, it wont break your turbo but could mess with your MAF

x

This user has no status
    Thanks
    had a dump valve on my rover 620ti for 3 years with no probs, had to blank off recirculating one though.
    tttttiiiiissssshhhhhh , awesome sound
    1998 V70R Saffron

Black sports grill with heico +r badge
    Relocated horns
    Powerflex top mount
    V70r 3rd brake light decal
    Genuine volvo strut brace
    Boost guage, in A pillar mount
    Tinted windows
    Miltek cat back exhaust
    more soon

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi mate,
    Im certainly no expert on the subject but I think Im right when I say this...by fitting a dumpvalve you should certainly expect NO performance gains (ie power or torque gains) from your unit! However, by fitting a dv you could in fact potentially help prelong the life of your turbo. This would be largely due to the fact that the built up charged air is released somewhat faster to atmosphere with the dv, hence the cool tissshh! Other than with an internal recircularitory system that would release those same unspent charged gases slower and may therefore be causing the turbo to experience more stress on its bearings etc as the gases place undue pressure on it!

I hope that made sense mate. I spose the best way to answer your question more definately would be to say that I have NEVER heard of any type of dv causing damage to a turbo but potentially helping as explained above.

Ok

Mark.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thats cool, i understand what you are saying. Just know that a friend of mine changed the DV on his RX-7 and about 600 miles later the turbo blew which was only 18 months old and fitted in Japan before it was bought over!!

So should i go for it or not? All replies would be appreciated

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i would, as mark says it prolongs the life of the turbo. and lets face it a dump valve is cheaper than a new turbo.
    think your friends was just a coincidence.

paul
    1998 V70R Saffron

Black sports grill with heico +r badge
    Relocated horns
    Powerflex top mount
    V70r 3rd brake light decal
    Genuine volvo strut brace
    Boost guage, in A pillar mount
    Tinted windows
    Miltek cat back exhaust
    more soon

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ok mate thats fine, I hear what ur saying. Bear in mind tho, your friend was dealing with an RX-7...that was his FIRST mistake...bought from Japan,so the dreaded import game now takes effect,remember those Jap nutcases play with their motas untold amounts,they wont bat an eyelid at stoopid 1000bhp figures using various crazy combos of parts and witch-craft, so take your chances I say!

As for the purchase and fitment of ur dv, of course you should buy and fit it, they look cool, sound cool and dont cost much to buy!

Im sorry to say but I have been known 2 own a number of fast Fords inc Cossie's and all have run dv's (mostly Bailey) with zero side effects Nor have I ever heard of such a problem, I'd be inclined to stick my neck out here and say ur m8's X's turbo was just a case of bad timing...except not for the sly monkey that sold it to him

L8rs...

My other car is an ovloV
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MARKELLUL
    This would be largely due to the fact that the built up charged air is released somewhat faster to atmosphere with the dv, hence the cool tissshh! Other than with an internal recircularitory system that would release those same unspent charged gases slower and may therefore be causing the turbo to experience more stress on its bearings etc as the gases place undue pressure on it!
    Why would a recirculating DV release pressure slower than an atmospheric DV?

I understood the difference only to be that one dumps to atmosphere (and hisses) and the other doesn't. What determines which one you choose is which way the ECU meters the air. Some engine management systems do not meter the air correctly if you release air outside of a closed system (ie: you dump to atmosphere)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Like I said speedswede I aint no expert and what you say is very true of the metering.

I am pretty sure tho the realease to atmosphere is fractionally faster than the internal system (bear in mind we're talkin nano seconds!) and can therefore potentially help the turbo, as it's kept under pressure for fractionally less time! I cant remember where it was I heard the fact that fitting a dv could help prelong the life of your turbo (probably a Bailey promo leaflet years ago?) by the means I have explained here but it could make sense that the absolutely instantaneous release of built up charged air to atmosphere would be quicker as the release is in no way hindered??? Anyone out there a turbo expert?

At the end of the day a dv certainly wont hurt a turbo, as I think was the most important point T5-Nutter wanted clarifying As it happens I am now starting to consider fitting a dv to my new T5, tho somehow it seemed ok on a fast Ford but maybe outta place on a Volvo?

This user has no status

Thanks
    If your fitting an atmos dump valve, you will need a twin piston version, if you go for a single piston then the car will stall all the time.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Personally speaking why fit a "performance" part if it wont help the performance? The ONLY reason for fitting one to a T5 IMO is for the noise, which is all well and good if your 15 or you like going round with a big banner over your head saying "LOOK AT ME"

x

Lawnmower Boy
    Now known as WAPAHO!!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,162 Posts
    LOOK AT ME....!!!

Just thought I'd add my two pence worth..

The volvo Recirculating DV is a diaphragm type DV which is basically a piece of rubber which over time could tear. I haven't seen this in Volvo DV's (What do I know, I've only seen two), but early aftermarket diaphragm type DV's for RS turbos etc would only last 2-3months before breaking. Nearly all of the after market ones these days are either Single or twin piston DV which are supposed to last longer.

You can even buy a recirculating Piston DV if you don't want the noise..

It's all down to personal preference....

Current Garage:
    1997 960 3.0L 24v - Polestar...(Honest guv..!!)
    1997 855 T5 S - stripped to 1300kgs gross weight - 14.2sec qtr(rank 17*)
    2001 V40 T4 SE - 14.199@100.15MPH - Hybrid Turbo/VXR injectors and DeCat(Rank 15*)
    *Data Sept 2013
    Any Stuff For Sale - check out my Ebay link

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MARKELLUL
    Like I said speedswede I aint no expert and what you say is very true of the metering.

I am pretty sure tho the realease to atmosphere is fractionally faster than the internal system (bear in mind we're talkin nano seconds!) and can therefore potentially help the turbo, as it's kept under pressure for fractionally less time! I cant remember where it was I heard the fact that fitting a dv could help prelong the life of your turbo (probably a Bailey promo leaflet years ago?) by the means I have explained here but it could make sense that the absolutely instantaneous release of built up charged air to atmosphere would be quicker as the release is in no way hindered??? Anyone out there a turbo expert?

At the end of the day a dv certainly wont hurt a turbo, as I think was the most important point T5-Nutter wanted clarifying As it happens I am now starting to consider fitting a dv to my new T5, tho somehow it seemed ok on a fast Ford but maybe outta place on a Volvo?

im no expert but heres a thought.
    all the saab 9000 turbo's ive owned (autos) have a recirc dv taking air from high pressure side and returning to low pressure side, between air filter and the turbo impeller.
    this is dumped with a pleasing but not show off type psssttt every time my foot taken off the gas after giving it load.
    iwill definatelly be trying to graft this item accrss to my t5.
    so i think its down to the car manafaturer as to the rate at which air is reciculated rather than the difference being due to atmostpheric or in system dv's.
    96 black 854 T5 cd auto. (running great)
    irrid plugs, FSE fuel press reg, K+N panel,
    MBC @13psi, strut brace, clear side repeaters,
    black grille, de-badged other than T5,
    well hung pilot :-)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I Have One On My 850 T5 Just Make Sure You Get The Right One Because Of The Soundproofing On The T5 You Will Have To Put The Window Down To Hear The Pppppppssssss Noise Sounds Good Outside The Car So Go For It!!!!

This user has no status

Thanks
    "Personally speaking why fit a "performance" part if it wont help the performance? The ONLY reason for fitting one to a T5 IMO is for the noise, which is all well and good if your 15 or you like going round with a big banner over your head saying "LOOK AT ME"""

lol, thats the bit i love, mine has a dump valve, cone filter and big arse exhaust, they were all fitted by the previous owner, the fun part is when people look round, they dont notice the volvo, everybody looks straight past it, most people dont know volvo make fast cars believe it or not, had mine for six months now, turbos still ok , think mine is a bailey motorsports ?
    and im 37 years old

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedSanity
    "Personally speaking why fit a "performance" part if it wont help the performance? The ONLY reason for fitting one to a T5 IMO is for the noise, which is all well and good if your 15 or you like going round with a big banner over your head saying "LOOK AT ME"""

lol, thats the bit i love, mine has a dump valve, cone filter and big arse exhaust, they were all fitted by the previous owner, the fun part is when people look round, they dont notice the volvo, everybody looks straight past it, most people dont know volvo make fast cars believe it or not, had mine for six months now, turbos still ok , think mine is a bailey motorsports ?
    and im 37 years old
    Hot air induction? surely that cant help?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrsmopp
    There is no performance benefit as our cars already have a recirc DV unless you want the noise, it wont break your turbo but could mess with your MAF

x

Mrs M ....you have to admit ( although a tad chavvy !!) it is a fantastic noise...!!n C'mon admit it ! It wont hurt!!!

This user has no status

Thanks
    The cone air filter sounds amazing but i do think it causes a drop in performance, from cruising at speed to sitting in traffick there is a noticable change in performance-but i dont have a standard air filter box to put back on for comparison

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Banana
    Mrs M ....you have to admit ( although a tad chavvy !!) it is a fantastic noise...!!n C'mon admit it ! It wont hurt!!!
    A tad???? Sorry guys but I just cant see the appeal? Explain why the noise means so much to you all? Why is it so fantastic? I dont get it?

x

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    IMHO fitting an airleak to a closed metered system can't help? Can it?

FB, If you want the noise - why not just "pisssshtt" yourself on each gear change? or have a MP3 of it on a button on the gear lever? Once the novelty has worn off then it is a bit cringeful? (IMHO)
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Thread Information