Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

recommend good tyres please

I need to change my tyres on my v70 t5 ,standard wheels. I would like to put on 215/55/16 and thought of toyo proxes T1r. From what people have used any suggestions. I will at some time have a remap.
    850 T5 glt Estate Auto

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Haven't tried the Toyo Proxes myself but a friend of mine runs them on his Impreza and says they're excellent - and a good price too.

Currently running Kumho Ecsta Sports on my S70 - these come in the size you're after and I reckon they're a great tyre - lots of grip and feel, great price as well.

Don't understand people who Insist on paying Top Whack for a branded tyre (Mentioning No Names here) when more often than not they're not actually THAT good.

Read Independent tests on the tyres you're considering and make your own mind up - couple of sites here that compare tyres -

Click Me

Click Me Too

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Click me too

I'm just about to order a set of Hankook K104's from mytyres.co.uk
    Wish I had a Volvo!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    You're going to get lots of personal opinions. Me, I don't hang around, and the Dunlop SP1 at each corner will last me just over 20k. I've only ever once got them to squeal (I've done 1/4miles), and that was round a corner about 40mph too fast. I'm getting them next time, they're fab. Plus 4 for 3 at quikfit
    Martin

2 strokes, 10 horse power and 8,000 miles. Read my story.
    Mongol by Minsk 2007: www.mongolbyminsk.com

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Goodyear Eagle F1 GT3 from Event mobile tyres. Recommended by heavy footed and heavilly laden me

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Continental Sport Contact 2's for me and they are excellent, still plenty of meat after 5k miles worth of abuse.

I've had Toyo proxes T1 S on a Passat 1.8T and they were very good but had a high wear rate as they were quite soft, the R might be harder.
    Its an old avatar that I can't be @rsed changing...

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJC
    Continental Sport Contact 2's for me and they are excellent, still plenty of meat after 5k miles worth of abuse.

Agreed (mine have done over 10k)

x

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I've used Continental Sport Contact 2's on mine and they are pretty good and at a pretty good price but I reckon the Hankook K104's are even better - more grip and yes more miles too and at a very slightly cheaper price too.

Not many local tyre companys seem to supply Hankooks though so you may need to order them online if you go for them.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Goodyear Eagle F1's. Just fitted them to my 2.4T, better grip than the Kumho Ecstas they replaced but the biggest surprise is how quiet they are.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i used to run toyo proxies t1-s tyres exelent grip but as mentioned a high wear rate for those with a heavy right foot, running Goodyear eagle F1 GSD 3's at the mo on my T4 seem to have a good level of grip wet and dry, and not to bad a wear rate, but i think its all down to your own budget and personall preferance and experience of tyres youve used in the past
    S40 T4 1.9 Turbo

Mods Done
    VT brake upgrade (Brembo disks & Ferodo DS2500 pads)
    ITG Pro Filter (from VT)
    BSR Cat-back exhaust (from VT)
    Volvo Strut Brace (from VT)
    Auto Gauge boost gauge & pillar pod
    Black light Bezels and Indicators
    Chrome Mesh Grille with T4 Badge

To do
    Smoked Marker lights
    BSR Down pipe & 200 cell sports cat
    VT suspention upgrage
    Forge Atmos DV conversion
    RICA

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phuturephantasy

Not many local tyre companys seem to supply Hankooks though so you may need to order them online if you go for them.
    Thats what i found too - particularly for 225/45/17's.
    Thankfuly 'mytyres' came to the rescue -
    should be here in the next couple of days!
    Wish I had a Volvo!

This user has no status

Thanks

Tyres

Quote Originally Posted by pyrotechnictigger
    Goodyear Eagle F1 GT3 from Event mobile tyres. Recommended by heavy footed and heavilly laden me
    Agreed. Use Good Year F1s myself and swear by them. Fronts are on 14000 miles, with about 3 mm left. Rears are same milage, and I reckon will last about 40000+. Excellent in the wet, and good in the dry. Not that expensive either. 440 quid for all 4 corners...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Running Vredestein Ultracs front, P6000 rear.

Loads left on the Pirellis after 14K.

Fronts are fine in the centres after 12.5K but the shoulders are scrubbed so looking to change soon. Tracking is fine but wonder if the top mounts which need replacing are the cause. No fault found when MOTd in December with any of the front suspension.

Will replace with same from SelectaTyre. Contacted them this week and price guaranteed the same as I paid last year as I am a repeat customer (offender?).

Can only say good things about the tyres and the suppliers. First rate on both counts.
    Martin

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"

280 RICA
    ITG Panel filter
    Volvo strut brace

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mat562be
    Not that expensive either. 440 quid for all 4 corners...
    To some people thats very expensive, including myself. especially if you had to replace all 4 at the same time.

With my limited experience with tyre makes, I had Avons ZV1's on a previous car which were excellent, lasted for well over 25k miles on the front and just kept going on on the rear. I finally replaced the fronts with Falken FK-451, and they were just awful in the slightly wet/wet conditions.

The Pirelli P6000 fitted as standard on most Perfos just kept lighting up the front wheels on mine, wether it was wet or dry. Wether thats to do with them being 16" i dont know.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by heyes
    I need to change my tyres on my v70 t5 ,standard wheels. I would like to put on 215/55/16 and thought of toyo proxes T1r. From what people have used any suggestions. I will at some time have a remap.
    Vresdestein Sportrac2's £80 each fitted from Watling Tyres in Southeast.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeast
    To some people thats very expensive, including myself. especially if you had to replace all 4 at the same time.

Hmmmmm so let me get this right.....You will pay large sums of money for a big brake conversion BUT wont pay the going rate for good quality branded tyres and instead would rather wear cheapo boots? Is there some logic in there somewhere?

Not having a go just interested.

x

This user has no status

Thanks
    Firstly, its not like im paying £1400 for the brakes, its less than half that, plus im getting the parts over time. Pads will cost me around £30 for the new set-up. Larger brakes are a must imo on most cars bar supercars of course.

Tyres wise, until there's an independant test regarding the tyre sizes we are interested in showing absolute proof that its worth spending more, then I will remain buying cheapo tyres that im happy with. Remember, most of the cheapo tyres are made by the expensive brands

I remember a test done on the common tyre size, 185/55/14 i think it was, and it showed in some cases that the cheapo tyres were just as good as the expensive ones, just hell of a lot less strain on the wallet.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Fair enough. Its probably just me then - I dont get this whole "big brakes" thing I've never had a problem stopping on standard brakes and definately not with the DS2500, I'm guessing its something along the same vein as dump valves! What I get even less is why someone (not necessarily you) would pay hundred/maybe thousands on "big brakes" and then wont shell out on decent tyres - surely big brakes wont do ££££e if your tyres let go!?

Once again I am not having a go at anyone just airing my confusion lol

x

This user has no status

Thanks
    Oh and just to lighten the mood http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PAIR-OF-Ling-L...QQcmdZViewItem Now they are CHEAP tyres LOL!

x

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrsmopp
    Oh and just to lighten the mood http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PAIR-OF-Ling-L...QQcmdZViewItem Now they are CHEAP tyres LOL!

x
    FECKING LING LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information