Join Today

Thread: Ipod Interface

This user has no status
    Thanks

Ipod Interface

Hi Folks

Since buying a new 60GB Ipod I have decided to change the head unit and go for one that is Ipod compatible. There are loads now with the add on interface box and am spoiled for choice.

Does anybody have this set-up?and can help me with a couple of queries:-

1. Can it plays all the songs held on the ipod through the head unit.?
    2. Can you hide the ipod away and control from the head unit.?
    3. What make and model do you have.?

I have been speaking to a couple of shops and there is a few to choose but one shop (vtech in cumbernauld) advised that there is only one head unit out at the moment, an Alpine CDA-9854ir that can play all songs as it has a full speed interface built in and therefore no need for a second box. He also advised that a lot of the ones with the seperate interface box can only play 256 songs at a time and not the whole libary on the ipod. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a couple of thousand songs on the ipod if the head unit can't play or browse them all.

Anybody with any experience of this please let me know.

cheers

Bob

arbee
    This user has no status
    Hey Bob, I have the Kenwood set-up
    Answers-
    1. Yes
    2. yes, little control box (pack of cig size) has 2 fly leads around 0.5-1m each. One end goes to the ipod, one to the head unit. Mine is hidden in the arm rest cubby, I did consider the glovebox and ash tray. Ash tray was too small/wrong shape, and i went against the glovebox as I didnt want to put undue use on the succeptable mechanism!
    3. I have the Kenwood 7031 and ipod interface as below. Mangaed to get both for £150 from a Tottenham Court Road shop
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/prod...f709266de858d5
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-850-T5-2...QQcmdZViewItem

Kenny set up is ok, a bit slow to use but apparently it is one of the faster types of all brands. I'm almost certain I have used more than 256 tracks, mine is only a 2gb Nano so wouldnt have much more than 500 anyway but sure its been ok with that jkind of number before. The headunit can toggle between skipping through playlists, artists, albums, or genre. unfortunately tho my headunit only has a one line display so it does not display the track name! (only the artist or album or playlist name etc) Therefore, if you go for kenwood i'd try to get a headunit that has a two line display if they exist!

Sound quality is great!, especially through some old skool phoenix gold amps has a fairly clean signal and doesnt clip toooo early

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi Bob, I've got a Blaupunkt Bronx MP75: Clicky

Its a quality sound but connects via a lead which I don't mind but ruins the looks a bit. It can be set up in lots of ways but don't be fooled by the website, it offers nowhere near the control that the Alpine does. It was £180 ish delivered though.
    Its an old avatar that I can't be @rsed changing...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    ALPINE EBAY

^^^^^

Alpine have always sounded the best to me and at this price you can't argue!!

Fully controlable from the head unit too..............
    I've come over all German..................................

arbee
    This user has no status
    Quote Originally Posted by RPM
    ALPINE EBAY

^^^^^

Blind alpline buying isnt always the best deal or best sound, this one still needs the alpine interface added...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/...roducts_id=649
    Try that and its cheaper on ebay!

This user has no status

Thanks
    I am looking at changing too. I don't have an ipod (....yet....) but for me at the moment it will be a Nakamichi CD-500 as the sound is so nice from these http://www.nakamichi.com/home.html. Then use the AUX in.

May look at this to go with it eventually.

http://www.cooltopia.com/section.php...8c02947597a111

You don't say what ICE you have now?

The alpine model you talk about doesn't look like the right model they are selling you.

http://www.hendoncarstereo.co.uk/cgi...ed/6/index.htm

This looks more like you are looking for.

http://www.hendoncarstereo.co.uk/cgi...ed/6/index.htm
    Last edited by Babybadger; Wednesday 15th March 2006 at 22:36.

This user has no status

Enjoying some downhill technicals somewhere...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingt5
    £95 from HERE

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Why is this unit so cheap with such good features..having a USB port does that mean i could simply plug in a memory stick with MP3 files saved and it will play em!!!!

Scottish bloke
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Alpine CDA1004 a think, Its got full screen details, Track number, Track name, Album name, Artist name and counter all on the screen at the same time

You can also search by Artist, Track name or Album name all controlled by the head unit

Only way to go in my opinion, saves trying to squint to see a small screen with 1 bit of detail at a time.

Doesnt need to be Alpine but a would recommend a TV, add on DVD and Sat Nav at a later date

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RPM
    ALPINE EBAY

^^^^^

thats the one i've got, plays all songs on your ipod, even the wife can control it, so not too technical!

you do need the interface box with it though, but still works out good value

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cheers Folks

Lots of links and even more to choose from..think I will be busy for the next wee while.

Thread Information