Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Niles
    consider myself well & truly told off!!! wont bother again.
    Hey Niles, don't take it to heart mate ... if everyone who'd tried to help and been shot down in flames by 'more knowledgable folk' took that route there'd only be about three people offering advice here .... it's all a learning curve and I ain't confident enough in 35 years of playing with/building cars to offer my pearls of wisdom in case they go wrong, so you're ahead of me Keep trying to help and sod the rest of 'em

Maybe see you at one of the meets mate, where you based?
    Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something - Plato

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5
    You said it m8, YES you are wrong - to clarify:

Blue smoke = burning oil
    black smoke = excess fuel.

If your car is running rich the plugs maybe black and there will be black ££££ at the end of your exhaust. If you have an MBC fitted then this will naturally occur i garantee it will.

Although most ppl offer good advice in this forum i would definately not have replaced a turbo based on somebody guessing it was at fault so hate to say it Tomcat, but you only got yourself to blame m8, shoulda got it checked properly at a garage with the coorect equipment!!!! (lesson learnt i guess ).

.....i mean, come on, when you get comments like Niles (no offense but your diagnosis sucks) saying 'fuel pressure regulator blocked' and 'MAF is squiffy'??? is that all about?

Tomcat take my advise m8, go take your car to a decent garage and get them to properly diagnose and rectify your problem - save yourself a load of money and wasted time. Ive been in the trade for 16 years now and i grips my ££££ when ppl with no qualifications in motor mechanics whatsoever think they can help ppl out with ridiculous comments like the above....
    If you dont know then please do not comment!!!
    I think ppl will agree with me on that, after all howmuch money have you just spent and you are none the wiser....... i rest my case.
    Enough said.

Hope you get it sorted soon.
    BTW ref your post - Yes it does sound turbo related but valve stem oil seals can produce the same symptoms....if the car has been layed up a while then chances are the seals have gone bone dry and cracked!!!! you cant rule it out m8. For the record, if you want to rule out headgasket then get your coolant system pressure tested and sniffer tested. Only a garage can do this unless you want to buy the equipment (it can be expensive). Good luck.
    Lee may I remind you that the forum has rules about shooting people down in flames - or more to the point DONT DO IT!! Your attitude at times is very aggressive and it has been noted, please choose your words carefully in future and have a little respect for others on the forum. If you disagree with something someone says there are ways in which you can say that you disagree without offending people in the process

x

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5
    You said it m8, YES you are wrong - to clarify:

Blue smoke = burning oil
    black smoke = excess fuel.

If your car is running rich the plugs maybe black and there will be black ££££ at the end of your exhaust. If you have an MBC fitted then this will naturally occur i garantee it will.

Although most ppl offer good advice in this forum i would definately not have replaced a turbo based on somebody guessing it was at fault so hate to say it Tomcat, but you only got yourself to blame m8, shoulda got it checked properly at a garage with the coorect equipment!!!! (lesson learnt i guess ).

.....i mean, come on, when you get comments like Niles (no offense but your diagnosis sucks) saying 'fuel pressure regulator blocked' and 'MAF is squiffy'??? is that all about?

Tomcat take my advise m8, go take your car to a decent garage and get them to properly diagnose and rectify your problem - save yourself a load of money and wasted time. Ive been in the trade for 16 years now and i grips my ££££ when ppl with no qualifications in motor mechanics whatsoever think they can help ppl out with ridiculous comments like the above....
    If you dont know then please do not comment!!!
    I think ppl will agree with me on that, after all howmuch money have you just spent and you are none the wiser....... i rest my case.
    Enough said.

Hope you get it sorted soon.
    BTW ref your post - Yes it does sound turbo related but valve stem oil seals can produce the same symptoms....if the car has been layed up a while then chances are the seals have gone bone dry and cracked!!!! you cant rule it out m8. For the record, if you want to rule out headgasket then get your coolant system pressure tested and sniffer tested. Only a garage can do this unless you want to buy the equipment (it can be expensive). Good luck.
    When you say black smoke is too much fuel , is that the same as a browny tinge to it?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    You can transport a car legally on the road without tax mot insurance etc:

Insurance: Get somebody to drive it who can drive other cars on their insurance.

MOT: Book the car in for an MOT, its legal to drive to and from a pre booked MOT inspection.

Tax: You cannot tax without the above 2. As long as you are in the process of getting the car road worthy, your AOK.... BUT this is from a friend who is a policeman, NOT CAST IN STONE!!!!!!!

Good luck with the repairs

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsmopp
    Lee may I remind you that the forum has rules about shooting people down in flames - or more to the point DONT DO IT!! Your attitude at times is very aggressive and it has been noted, please choose your words carefully in future and have a little respect for others on the forum. If you disagree with something someone says there are ways in which you can say that you disagree without offending people in the process

x

Look, I'm sorry if you think i was being 'aggressive' ( ) but i think my rant was justified. Tomcat spent all that money because of someones third hand guess. OK maybe tomcat could of thought before sticking head in oven (so to speak) but if your gonna give advise than surely it's best if you have some clue about what it is your talking about!!? I know some ppl here agree with me and some dont, but at least i can back up what i say with hard facts and not complete guesses and so rest assured anyone taking my advise will be assured its come from experience or learnt knowledge.

Therefore i would just like to opologise to Niles and sincerely hope he didnt take it personally.

If i dont know the answer to a question then i wont respond, never have done.

Anyway nuff said i think.......
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

...here we go again...
    Thanks

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Babybadger
    When you say black smoke is too much fuel , is that the same as a browny tinge to it?
    What do you mean, are you talking about what comes out exhaust when you boot it??

You must have seen some old banger mark1 fiesta spewing loads of blue smoke out the exhaust b4....if so, well thats burning oil. IE valve stem oil seals, cos the oil leaks past and gets burnt in the cylinders. If its black smoke then the plugs will probably be sooted up cos the car is running rich. There are other factors of course...
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Niles
    consider myself well & truly told off!!! wont bother again.
    Oh come on Niles (picked up dummy), i did say, and i quote "no offense, but your diagnosis......"
    See...it wasn't personal! Was just some constructive critisism that held a valid point. Dont take it to heart. I wasnt trying to shoot you down in flames.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i had a very similar/the same thing- something told me not to replace the turbo until i could get the engine looked at and bits and bobs replaced first.... i didnt manage to get that far before i lost a cylinder. Apparently it was sucking oil past the rings or something....
    I looked into replacing the engine but at the cheapest was going to cost me £700+, that's with my brother doing all that labour just for a crate of Stella.!!! I hadnt got to making any mods on the car so decided to buy a new T5 instead. It's got half the mileage of my old one and i'm now busy scratting for mod-cash for this more worthy brick.

Hope all goes well but sounds like you need to splash some cash to me...
    : - (

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    I plucked up the courage today and sneeked out in it, I only went around the block but it was enough to realise that its still smoking its ar*e off!!. To add insult to injury just as I pulled up next to my garage I saw steam come up the side of the bonnet, upon looking I found one of the heater pipes had blown off!, this was probably down to me forgetting that it hadn't clicked back into its fitting properly last time I re fitted it.

I'm now fresh out of ideas, so now its in a driveable state(all bar without tax), I'm gonna run it up to my local independent tomorrow and see if they can tell me whats wrong with the damn thing. I can'r afford to keep throwing money at it and I need to re tax one of my cars at the end of the month.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Good luck mate ! Incidently, used to have a Cavalier, ran perfectly, used no oil, took it off road for 8 months to do bodywork, put it back on road, smoked like a chimney ! Stripped the engine but could find nothing wrong. Changed piston rings to be on safe side and afterwards it was perfect ! My only explaination could be that the rings had stuck in the grooves after being laid up for so long. Sound familiar ?...anyway hope you get it sorted and it's not too painfull on the wallet !

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Rang them up this morning to book it in and although they're open, none of the mechanics are in now until tuesday, so yet again I'm just going to have to wait it out.

Ever get the feeling that something just wasn't meant to be?, this thing has fought me all the way. If it's not sorted in the next week or two then it'll have to stay garaged and I'll have to re tax and insure my white one..

This user has no status

Thanks
    Careful with the driving with no insurance! A disqulification could mean you'll have time to save up for the repairs!

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    I have insurance, just no tax. I agree with what your saying but I need to get it sorted asap so I know which car I'm taxing at the end of the month.

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    The car has been into the local independants today, after checking the codes they've diagnosed a knackered engine temp sensor. I'm hoping this was in some way contributing to the smoke problem, I'm gonna pick it up in the morning and see what its like.......

Fingers crossed...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    hope she's sorted soon Craig ... you've done a lovely job on her with the colour coordination ... she looks a treat
    Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something - Plato

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Heres hoping mate. Could be temp sensor reading low telling the ecu that the engines permanently cold and chucking in too much fuel. Trouble is you can always make A=B if you hope hard enough !

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    As long as it was contributing something to the smoking I'll be happy, suppose I'll find out tomorrow when I pick it up.

Oh do you think that £89 for an engine temp sensor and a litre of anti freeze is a good price?

Thread Information