Join Today

Thread: Driving tips...

This user has no status
    Thanks

Driving tips...

Hi all, now i know this is mainly down to personal preference and is so changeable from person to person, but my c70 T5 is the first Turbo car i've ever owned/driven.

I've read about not putting your foot down from cold, leaving the engine for a bit when you come to a standstill and just have a few questions...

How long should you leave it before your first start of the car before putting your foot down, is it safe to do it when the temp gauge hits it's "normal" level ?

How long should you leave the engine running when you come to a standstill if you have been whizzing about ?

What sort of rev-range does the turbo kick in at ? Does chipping the car alter this range ?

Are there any other tips you guys could pass on for driving a T5 ?

Thanks in advance...

Azza

This user has no status
    Thanks
    In my 855, I put the heaters on their hottest setting first thing. Just after the thermostat reads normal, the heat really kicks in when before it was just warming. Takes about 5-7 minutes of jentle cruising for me. Then it's "take no prisoners"!

I always try to calm the last part of a journey down by around two minutes at least. If I race the last few minutes, I'd just need to sit around cooling the turbo anyway. It's pretty easy to get the turbo to glow, so at night if you pop the bonnet you can see why leaving it to cool down is wise! 5 minutes tops.

Turbo usually kicks in between 2500 and 3000 for standard T5s. Chipping won't alter this range, but playing with the wastegate (search the forums) will. Chipping basically allows the computer to allow for more boost before limiting it.

Hope that helps.
    Martin

2 strokes, 10 horse power and 8,000 miles. Read my story.
    Mongol by Minsk 2007: www.mongolbyminsk.com

Casual poster 15 years on!
    Thanks
    The only car i have ever had a oil temperature gauge in was my E30 M3. It took approximatly 7 miles of gentle driving to reach opperating temperature. So it does take a lot longer than you think.

The cool down process is equally important and you should take it easy the last couple of miles of your journey.

Chipping the car adjusts the turbo boost and fueling pattern. you can customise the delivery depending on what you want out of the car, but a generic map is usually sufficient - the result is the car usually drives the same but with about 25% more of what it already has and about 200% more smiles from you

Andy
    My TWITTER username

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks guys that's all pretty useful info. So it sounds like i've been pretty good as i've adhered to those kind of standards before i've attempted to put my foot down/

Had a quick read about the wastegate, seems like you need to know what you're doing otherwise you could get yourself (or your engine) into a bit of trouble. And as i wouldn't have a clue about what i was doing i think i'll steer well clear of that option

Thanks for the info.

Azza

Casual poster 15 years on!
    Thanks
    People have their own opinions about how to mod a T5. To give you one opinion [mine ] i would simply go for a generic remap and panel filter. When i ran my 855 T5 CD auto i ran a RICA generic remap and ITG panel filter. This was ample in all departments. Other people take it a stage further with adjusting the wastegate, changine the turbo, reversing the I/C pipes etc - i personally have no experience of that, but i was more than happy with my basic set up.

Good luck

Andy
    My TWITTER username

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Exactly! I don't really get to drive my car as often as i would like, so when i do drive it i want it to deliver the maximum possible without spending a small fortune on doing so...

I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing, the Stage 1 RICA ECU remap and a new filter, you didn't get those through volvotuning perchance ?!

As far as i'm concerned i'm sure, like you, that that will provide me with all i need. The great thing is, as i understand it, that if i want to take it a bit further in the future, then the RICA ECU can be altered accordingly...

Thanks for supporting my thoughts (without conciously doing so )

Azza

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I agree with what's been said here. RICA & ITG Filter, for performance - strut brace for handling, upgraded brakes for stopping, and just make sure the basiscs are covered off, plugs, leads, dizzy cap on non ME7 cars, change oil regularly, and make sure all air/vac/turbo hoses are present and correct with no splits and you can't go much wrong. Beyond this you are getting into mega bucks for not much percentage return. A lot of the other mods are cosmetics, which is fine.

Mine at 147K will still keep up with most other cars on the road, and will certainly be over twice as naughty as the law allows, albeit on a private roadway
    Swordy21

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time.
    Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
    E. B. White (1899 - 1985)
    My Location
    Done: (To date)

1998 V70 T5 CD.
    Stage 0,
    RICA ECU 310,
    ITG Pro filter,
    Volvo Strut Brace,
    J3 Stealth Boost Gauge
    Zimmerman Front (warped), Brembo Rear Rotors
    PAGID Fast Road Pads
    New Engine Top Mount Bush,
    New CV joints,
    Wobbly ABS Repair,
    PCV hose running repair

I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Here Here! RICA & panal filter!
    I drive mine no more than 3000 rpm when cold and try and keep her in the 1500 -2750 rpm till shes warm trying my hardest to keep the boost below what a stock T5 does. After a few miles Im quite happy to use the full Rica 1.2++ bar of boost and rev range to full effect, till I have to slow down for some crap reason!
    2004 V50 T5 SE

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks guys, really appreciate the tips and performance boosting advice, keep it coming

Azza

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    I am with Murphy on this.

You should always let your T5 warm up and cool down - so my top tip is dont go above 3K on rpms until the temp is fully warm and leave the car to run down before you park up and possibly let the car run on for 30secs or so such that fresh cooler oil can be pumped around the turbo bearing.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Thread Information