Join Today

Thread: Steering noise

This user has no status

Thanks

Steering noise

My S60 is making a funny noise on RIGHT hand turns when the steering wheel is on full lock. The noise can be described as a "knock" or mild "thump" about once every second or so whilst the car is moving. It has been known to do it when not quite on full lock either, but usually has to be full or very near full lock.

It seems to happen when cold more so than when hot, although this may just be a figment of my imagination!

Diagnosis?
    #

arbee
    This user has no status
    Try the anti roll-bar, might be loose or ball joint snapped etc, had this on an old car and was a similar noise where it was knocking around

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arbee
    Try the anti roll-bar, might be loose or ball joint snapped etc, had this on an old car and was a similar noise where it was knocking around
    Sounds expensive!
    #

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Suspects:-

Worn shock top mounts
    Drop links worn
    Anti roll bar ball joint
    CV joint

Cheers

Jon
    Swordy21

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time.
    Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
    E. B. White (1899 - 1985)
    My Location
    Done: (To date)

1998 V70 T5 CD.
    Stage 0,
    RICA ECU 310,
    ITG Pro filter,
    Volvo Strut Brace,
    J3 Stealth Boost Gauge
    Zimmerman Front (warped), Brembo Rear Rotors
    PAGID Fast Road Pads
    New Engine Top Mount Bush,
    New CV joints,
    Wobbly ABS Repair,
    PCV hose running repair

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by swordy21
    Suspects:-

Worn shock top mounts
    Drop links worn
    Anti roll bar ball joint
    CV joint

Cheers

Jon
    Are these the sort of things I need to get looked at ASAP? I've got a 2000 mile trip coming up in 3 weeks time y'see!
    #

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by S60D5
    My S60 is making a funny noise on RIGHT hand turns when the steering wheel is on full lock. The noise can be described as a "knock" or mild "thump" about once every second or so whilst the car is moving. It has been known to do it when not quite on full lock either, but usually has to be full or very near full lock.

It seems to happen when cold more so than when hot, although this may just be a figment of my imagination!

Diagnosis?
    Knocking noise on full lock when car is moving is usually cv joint, check if there is any sign of grease around cv boots as often caused by boot being split and joint loosing its grease

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The suspension side, basically ain't gonna fall apart, just the noise will get worse over time. When I bought my V70 the suspension top mounts were completely kyboshed as were the drop links. Did about 7K in it before having the whole lot replaced. VT did this for me, about 2 hrs labour + parts + VAT.

CV joints I would check out as obvioulsy this is what carries the power to the wheels and if they let go could be a bit of a disaster. Ive had them go before on other cars and whilst the wheel stays on, gets very loud going round corners.

Mind you if you are changing suspension components may as well have a look at/change the CV joints at the same time as it all has to come apart to get the struts out.

Hope it works out

Cheers

Jon
    Swordy21

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time.
    Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
    E. B. White (1899 - 1985)
    My Location
    Done: (To date)

1998 V70 T5 CD.
    Stage 0,
    RICA ECU 310,
    ITG Pro filter,
    Volvo Strut Brace,
    J3 Stealth Boost Gauge
    Zimmerman Front (warped), Brembo Rear Rotors
    PAGID Fast Road Pads
    New Engine Top Mount Bush,
    New CV joints,
    Wobbly ABS Repair,
    PCV hose running repair

This user has no status
    Thanks

Cool

Check your lock stops as these can knock on full lock if not lubricated.

This user has no status

Thanks
    this is freaky........ i have the same problem and was just about to post a thread asking for ideas........ with my T5 it happens with steering on full right lock and i ohly get one knock when i back off drive and then turn the wheels as i go over a very small (1 inch) drop down. if i back out with full left lock it doesnt do it but then it does when i put it on full right lock and pull forward...... sounds like something setting into place as it only does a single knock then no more........ just a little worring as like the first guy i too have a long drive comming up and want to know it will be ok, guess i better get down to pilling volvo.........

This user has no status
    Thanks
    suspension top mount.
    now : 850 2.5 auto

Ex : T4 with NOS on board

This user has no status

Thanks
    dont worry mine does it and it passed its test yesterday and its done it since ive had it
    think its something to due with the tyre skipping on full lock due to the angle off both tyres on the road mines on 17 teethys and only does it going out of my drive on full lock(or near as damn it) (seems to skip on road like trackings out by 90%)
    wheels rub on inner arch as well on full lock thats why volvo put a metal plate over the ££££ shields/arch liner to prevent it rubbing through the arch liner
    im not worried my t4 did it but not as bad
    must admit though the lock to lock is terrible it turns into a 3 point turn to get into parking spaces etc.
    PHASE 2 S40 T4
    S60 D5 :
    2002 S60 2.4T
    OCTAVIA VRS
    2006 S40 SPORT SE

arbee
    This user has no status
    On a kind of related note, my 850 has creaky rear suspension, any ideas?

This user has no status

Thanks
    ok, see if you can work this one out.......................... i jacked up the front, took the wheel off and had a good old shake of all that i could see, was expecting to find something working loose or not looking its best...... as i only got the car on monday i did expect to see new parts after some kind of accident in its past life and that i had inherited an old problem............ but found nothing to explain the noise......... i put the wheel back on, lowered the car down and when to the shops......... as i backed down the drive, not a sound, not a knock nor a bump.....so i drove back on and reversed again... nothing............. seems to have gone again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GATHY
    dont worry mine does it and it passed its test yesterday and its done it since ive had it
    think its something to due with the tyre skipping on full lock due to the angle off both tyres on the road mines on 17 teethys and only does it going out of my drive on full lock(or near as damn it) (seems to skip on road like trackings out by 90%)
    wheels rub on inner arch as well on full lock thats why volvo put a metal plate over the ££££ shields/arch liner to prevent it rubbing through the arch liner
    im not worried my t4 did it but not as bad
    must admit though the lock to lock is terrible it turns into a 3 point turn to get into parking spaces etc.
    This is what I was secretly hoping!

I have the 17" Tethys wheels too - I'll put some 16's on it over the weekend and see if that stops it, if its still making the noise with the 16" (205/55) wheels on then I guess it rules out the wheels! If not, it's ££££ time for me I guess!
    #

This user has no status

Thanks
    well if it time to part with some cash,,,tell me cause i must have to as well
    lol
    PHASE 2 S40 T4
    S60 D5 :
    2002 S60 2.4T
    OCTAVIA VRS
    2006 S40 SPORT SE

This user has no status

Thanks
    well if it time to part with some cash,,,tell me cause i must have to as well
    lol
    I'll let you know
    #

This user has no status

Thanks
    record it on your mobile and then post it on here so we can all have a listen ??
    would this work ???
    PHASE 2 S40 T4
    S60 D5 :
    2002 S60 2.4T
    OCTAVIA VRS
    2006 S40 SPORT SE

This user has no status

Thanks
    record it on your mobile and then post it on here so we can all have a listen ??
    would this work ???
    Might do, I'll put the 16" wheels on the front tonight and see if there is any difference. If its making a noise with the 16" wheels I guess I can rule out skipping or rubbing.
    #

This user has no status

Thanks
    Ok, 16" wheels on and it doesn't make a noise at all on full lock, dancing round in circles this way and that in an empty carpark - not a peep.

So it was the 17" wheels rubbing! Kind of put me off 18" wheels now if even 17's rub!
    #

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pdwb
    this is freaky........ i have the same problem and was just about to post a thread asking for ideas........ with my T5 it happens with steering on full right lock and i ohly get one knock when i back off drive and then turn the wheels as i go over a very small (1 inch) drop down. if i back out with full left lock it doesnt do it but then it does when i put it on full right lock and pull forward...... sounds like something setting into place as it only does a single knock then no more........ just a little worring as like the first guy i too have a long drive comming up and want to know it will be ok, guess i better get down to pilling volvo.........
    yep, mine does the same thing. Going to get them to check it when it's in for the end of warranty check
    2003 S60 T5 SE Geartronic Sport & Winter Packs in Titanium Grey Pearl.
    as featured in Taggart!

Thread Information