Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

My own little spark plug thread

I know what your thinking, oh no not another spark plug thread, but we havent had one for ages and my 110k mile service will be due very soon and im going to replace the plugs as ive no idea when they were last changed.

I know people recommend the NGK platinums and iridiums and they last for ages, but what about good old coppers and changing them every 10k service?

Only person im aware of doing this in the UK is Siamblue and he was also using my RICA ecu. The performance lot in the US swear by the coppers, and they are like £10 max for a set of 5 compared to £40 for the platinums and £55 for the iridiums.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeast
    The performance lot in the US swear by the coppers
    I think the performance lot over here would spend more time swearing AT Coppers...?

Sorry, I'll get me coat.
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

This user has no status
    Thanks
    They're not even the right plug for the standard car!

Adam.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Al115
    I think the performance lot over here would spend more time swearing AT Coppers...?

Sorry, I'll get me coat.
    Now that really made me laugh sorry blackbeast!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvotuning

Adam.

best to stick with the original volvo ones then ??

or do you have a better suggestion ???

am about to do mine soon ...... what a bout gapping
    1995 854 t5
    40mm lowered
    bilstien shocks
    strut brace [ome] wow what a difference
    poly top mount
    new turbo
    drop links and rod ends
    bonnet wadding removed

RICA power

turob to i/c pipe hose
    bcs hoses
    silicone vac lines (part done)
    new oe wishbones
    k&n panel filter

to do
    paint up v70 r calipers calipers
    R bumper

my vBGarage

This user has no status
    Thanks
    should be pre gapped. ngk bkr7evx if i am correct.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Al115

Sorry, I'll get me coat.
    LOL when i wrote that, i thought someone would say something

This user has no status

Thanks

Adam.
    But thats because Volvo have to put in a safety margin for people that dont service their car as often as they should. Platinums can last 30k miles or so.

If the copper ones were gapped correctly and you can get them for the T5 in the correct heat range and they were replaced regularly (every 10k), there shouldnt be a problem, right?

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    NGK BKR7EVX or IRIDIUMS

About £25 to 30 for the set x5 I think?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeast
    But thats because Volvo have to put in a safety margin for people that dont service their car as often as they should. Platinums can last 30k miles or so.

If the copper ones were gapped correctly and you can get them for the T5 in the correct heat range and they were replaced regularly (every 10k), there shouldnt be a problem, right?
    I had Volvo's special expensive plugs in mine last year then changed to Iridiums, total cost around £70 i have since had Coppers in since last year and 5k miles later not a problem at all, Euro car parts list them as to fit the T5's at £8.50 a set. and gapped them to 26 thou.
    You guys can keep on wasting your dosh on expensive fancy plugs and oil

Gary.
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi,

The fact that the Platinum or Iridium Plug will last 30k and a copper plug will not suggests to me that the copper plugs are clearly inferior.
    Gary's statement that people are wasting their money using a quality oil is quite frankly ridiculous !
    My best advice, especially for a performance car, is fit the best. That applies to Spark Plugs, Oil, Tyres, Petrol, Brakes etc etc.
    And in the case of Spark Plugs for a T5 Standard or Tuned a good plug is the NGK Platinum or Iridium. (circa. £8). If you really do want the Best we stock a NGK Competition plug (circa. £18).
    Fitting a mundane copper plug to a T5 engine, and then driving it anything other than carefully is just asking for trouble !

Regards,
    Hamish.

P.S. We stock all the NGK plugs for the modern Volvos, (even the copper core for the N.A. Cars) so if you need the correct plugs for your car give me a call at Chip Tuning. (01527 577710)

This user has no status

Thanks
    I run the copper champion RC7YCC and have done for ages,pick up seems better than with the NGK's but that purley subjective they are certinaly alot better than the volvo ones up top. I went for the 7 rating,but as you are not that tuned you may find yours goes better with the RC9YCC,i had these in befor the 7's when i was'nt running quite so much boost and the throttle response and midrange felt good.As mentioned the only downside is they dont last as long but they cost naff all.I do spend alot on shell helix oil though!

This user has no status
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by hamish
    Hi,

The fact that the Platinum or Iridium Plug will last 30k and a copper plug will not suggests to me that the copper plugs are clearly inferior.
    Gary's statement that people are wasting their money using a quality oil is quite frankly ridiculous !
    My best advice, especially for a performance car, is fit the best. That applies to Spark Plugs, Oil, Tyres, Petrol, Brakes etc etc.
    And in the case of Spark Plugs for a T5 Standard or Tuned a good plug is the NGK Platinum or Iridium. (circa. £8). If you really do want the Best we stock a NGK Competition plug (circa. £18).
    Fitting a mundane copper plug to a T5 engine, and then driving it anything other than carefully is just asking for trouble !

Regards,
    Hamish.

P.S. We stock all the NGK plugs for the modern Volvos, (even the copper core for the N.A. Cars) so if you need the correct plugs for your car give me a call at Chip Tuning. (01527 577710)
    Steady mate, no need to throw your rattle out the pram. ever thought of doing a customer relations course lol.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer
    Steady mate, no need to throw your rattle out the pram. ever thought of doing a customer relations course lol.
    LOL.
    #

This user has no status

Thanks
    Elliot,

That Champion Plug is not correct for the Volvos. It is a 'DIN' plug and not an 'ISO' plug. Your plug leads are not seating correctly ! That is a Saab Plug ! If you must use Champion the correct number is RC8PYP which is also a platinum plug so comparable in price and functionality to the correct NGK plug.

Regards,
    Hamish.

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    hamish,

if you're going to do indignation please at least have the correct information to argue..... it's champion rc7gyc

and if you're going to have a poke about siamblue's ridiculous argument to which i also subscribe, the very least you can do is offer some kind of argument and evidence to support your case. please go on..... ;-)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Ok, to bring this thread back on track here's a little something for you to muller over, this was posted by a VS member:-

Just finished reading Dr Jacobs book on ignition systems. (Jacobs Electronics) He has some interesting information on the differences between copper and platinum spark plugs.

Some inherent features of Platinum plugs are that, because platinum is a poorer conductor than copper, platinum plugs require a lower initial voltage for the spark to jump the gap (compared to copper plugs) and the harder platinum electrode lasts significantly longer than the softer copper electrode. It is the lower initial voltage requirement that makes them work so well in most cars, and that messes things up for us.

Since copper is juch a great conductor (the electrons want to stay inside the copper) with a copper plug it is more difficult for the electrons to leave the copper electrode to initiate the jump across the gap. The electrons have to build up on the tip of the plug until enough voltage pressure is built up to force the electrons to leave the copper and jump across the gap thereby creating the spark. Since it takes more voltage pressure to initiate the spark jump, you get a hotter stronger spark jumping the gap.

On a platinum plug, since it is easier for the electrons to leave the platinum electrode and jump the gap. Fewer electrons build up at the tip, and the voltage pressure required to force the electrons off the electrode is lower when the spark jumps the gap. So the spark is not as strong or hot since not as much energy was required to initiate the spark.

This "feature" of platinum plugs is why weak (older) ignition systems benefit so much from the installation of platinum plugs, and why they works so well in non-turbo cars. With our turbos and the higer compression from the added boost, we benefit from the hotter stronger spark of the copper plugs since the higher pressure (compression) tends to blow out the weaker sparks of platinum plugs.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by weasel
    hamish,

if you're going to do indignation please at least have the correct information to argue..... it's champion rc7gyc

and if you're going to have a poke about siamblue's ridiculous argument to which i also subscribe, the very least you can do is offer some kind of argument and evidence to support your case. please go on..... ;-)
    Easy on guys! Its' so easy to misread people's tone in posts cos half that time we don't use emoticons.

Anyway, just want to add that I think using a good quality oil is probably common sense. The word "quality" being the operative word here. There are many quality oils out there, of which Shell Helix is one such example.

Adam.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hamish
    Elliot,

That Champion Plug is not correct for the Volvos. It is a 'DIN' plug and not an 'ISO' plug. Your plug leads are not seating correctly ! That is a Saab Plug ! If you must use Champion the correct number is RC8PYP which is also a platinum plug so comparable in price and functionality to the correct NGK plug.

Regards,
    Hamish.

Have just gone out and compared an old champion with a std volvo plug and there is a a minute difference in the contact shape,my manegore leads also locate well onto them with no signs of arching and i have'nt had any running problems and the car runs very fast for the spec so i am going to continue using them.cheers for the heads up

This user has no status
    Thanks

Cool

Easy on guys! Its' so easy to misread people's tone in posts cos half that time we don't use emoticons.

Anyway, just want to add that I think using a good quality oil is probably common sense. The word "quality" being the operative word here. There are many quality oils out there, of which Shell Helix is one such example.

Adam.
    Good point Adam happens to me all the time, so here's my simple man's sparkplug indicator.......................lol

A simple test to see if your plugs are the right one’s is to remove a plug from your engine, if you have just dropped it then it was to hot, if not look at the plug end (dot in the middle) and move your head in and out, if it starts revolving (see example below) then it’s to cold. A correctly chosen plug will remain in your engine for thousands of miles, so long in fact that you will forget they are there lol.
    Last edited by Engineer; Sunday 13th August 2006 at 09:07.

Thread Information