Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

VPC Annual Meet?

I notice on the suggestions thread there has been a fair bit of talk about having an annual VPC meet so I think this needs to be discussed further.

You tell me what you want and I'll put the wheels in motion.

Bear in mind the venue needs to be accessable to a wide area, it needs to be a weekend thing and there is no point doing it if only 10 people are going to turn up.

The floor is yours!

x

Andrew
    This user has no status
    Obviously somewhere central.

Different events on Sat & Sun. Saturday gathering around mid-day, maybe some competitions, show stands, dealers, discount parts, Volvo showing off their latest and greatest - perhaps even a co-ordinated freedom day or test drives of their range (get em to get plenty of Rs etc and a bit of entertainment. A meal, dance/disco/beer in the evening. Maybe a run on the sunday morning (for those sober enough) - finish around mid-day with some lunch and then people can head off home.

Varying accomodation from camping to a deal in local hotel ?

I think it should be a paid for ticketed event - that way funds can be used to book a location, or book entertainment or something and it shows a level of commitment. Perhaps so much for the car and main driver and then a discounted rate for any passengers.

EDIT: I also think this would be a good launch platform for any things you would like to announce - regional chapters & co-ordinators, new benefits to the site etc.
    Last edited by Andrew; Tuesday 31st January 2006 at 09:36.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I think Andrew has it spot on there!

Need to sell the car swimbo
    says so
    Thanks
    Yep i`d agree with andrew as well on this one

Although not sure about "regional chapters & co-ordinators" are you perchance a union man andrew

Cheers

stuart
    Stuart

P2 V70 T5 in explod white running 17 " orpheus alloys , full leather interior , HU 803 with prologic amp

Andrew
    This user has no status
    Quote Originally Posted by t5owner
    Yep i`d agree with andrew as well on this one

Although not sure about "regional chapters & co-ordinators" are you perchance a union man andrew

Cheers

stuart
    LOL no - I just see a major problem for meets is location. Notingham meet for example is a 2 hour drive each way for me. Where as if all regions had a regular meet date - first sunday of the month we would probably get a lot more turning up. Local co-ordinators could help moppy and justin and the others drive the growth of the site and organise the meetings.

The reason most people come onto the forums is for help. Keeping people on the forums is because communities are formed (look at craigs list as an example) which means banter, chat and admiration of cars of the Volvo persuation on and off line.

It's just a thought - I'm quite happy to have it shot down if it's not the direction Justin wants to go. Just my 2p worth.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    One possible central location would be Kingsbury Water Park.http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/web/c...b?OpenDocument
    The Volvo 480 Club meet there from time to time & now we're not only for T5's Perhaps some of the 480 Turbo's would come.http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk/forum/
    I know there's camping facilities.
    Just an idea.
    Cheers, Chris.

2 Kings 9.20

arbee
    This user has no status
    I personally think there is opportunity for both a 'club' meet in its own sense, and also for the club to attend to various events throughout the year.

For a club day/weekend, Billing in Northants is an ideal venue. Its basically a camp site but is very large, has a lot of facilities on-site (including a fair!) and is used to accomodating lots and lots of owner club type get togethers! - They will often allocated a club a particular area for the weekend etc so as to keep them self contained!

On the flipside, events such as TRAX are an excellent day out for a club and have a massively diverse array of attending clubs from Ford Ka to the obligitory skylines!. I thoink VPCUK would sit very well in such events.

Days out at events such as BTCC meetings are also good and are scattered all over the country!

I would support Andrews suggestions about regional co-ords tho maybe regular bi-monthly meetings might make more sence in order to get some decent attendence levels. Neighbouring regions could work on alternative months so that if people want to go to monthly meets then they dont have to far to go

Andrew
    This user has no status
    http://www.billingaquadrome.com/home.php you mean ?

Of specific interest - Click on Rallies and Events - so looks like they know what they are doing.

arbee
    This user has no status
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    http://www.billingaquadrome.com/home.php you mean ?

Of specific interest - Click on Rallies and Events - so looks like they know what they are doing.
    Yep, them's the people

Scottish bloke
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    A think between Manchester and Brum would be good, it would help us north of the border who would have an 8 hour drive each way to other places, If we are prepared to drive between 4 and 6 hours why cant you???

Its never going to please everyone but remember that midlands is middle of England not the UK and we have members all over including Elgin/Inverness, Cornwall, Norwich and Ireland

Annual meets should be in the middle, easily accessable for ALL members

Suspended
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    For those of us who have tried to organise meets from time to time you will no doubt know that it's a thankless task, usually attended by the same 10 to 15 members. I think Andrew's ideas while well meaning are Ambitious to say the least, and the thoughts, running before walking spring to mind!

Personally i think a better idea of venue is around a track day / major car show event, where we could safely have a mini volvo club day but combined with other attractions on whatever the day might be, such as the recent Tuner GP for example. It would be mildly embaressing to be too ambitious and have a turnout of 50 cars even, which would be double the cars that i've seen at a T5 event so far.

Anyway thats my thoughts.

arbee
    This user has no status
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoDeltaSierra3
    For those of us who have tried to organise meets from time to time you will no doubt know that it's a thankless task, usually attended by the same 10 to 15 members. I think Andrew's ideas while well meaning are Ambitious to say the least, and the thoughts, running before walking spring to mind!

Personally i think a better idea of venue is around a track day / major car show event, where we could safely have a mini volvo club day but combined with other attractions on whatever the day might be, such as the recent Tuner GP for example. It would be mildly embaressing to be too ambitious and have a turnout of 50 cars even, which would be double the cars that i've seen at a T5 event so far.

Anyway thats my thoughts.
    I agree with some of your sentiments. To be honest I think 50 would be ambitious in itself, however it could well be realistic. I have attended shows with a mk4 astra forum and, although a more ubquitious (sp!) car, we managed to get over 100 people together at some of the shows. However, i think that is the point (I agree TDS) - people were attracted to be there, not just because of the club side, but also for the attractions of the show.

Fraz - I completely appreciate your point mate, but there is another issue, if it was in the centre of the UK, fair enough the maximum anyone would have to travel would be the same whether in john o groats or lands end, howver the fact that the vast majority of the potential attendees live south of carlisle, surely must be a factor Personally I think midlands/northants kind of direction is a fair balence of both geographic and demographic factors!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fraz13
    A think between Manchester and Brum would be good,
    Stretton Fox?

2 Kings 9.20

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chriskay
    Stretton Fox?
    LSMO!!

x

Scottish bloke
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arbee
    Fraz - I completely appreciate your point mate, but there is another issue, if it was in the centre of the UK, fair enough the maximum anyone would have to travel would be the same whether in john o groats or lands end, howver the fact that the vast majority of the potential attendees live south of carlisle, surely must be a factor Personally I think midlands/northants kind of direction is a fair balence of both geographic and demographic factors!
    Na thats not the attitude, were all equal members and if it was more accessable for ALL then we would get more ppl to these meets, If its kept to the south we couldnt be expected to turn up, Fairs fair ppl

Scottish bloke
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chriskay
    Stretton Fox?
    Thats a good idea Chris...... NOT!!!!! lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    So perhaps 2 annual meets are required then - one south of Manchester and one north of Manchester?

x

This user has no status

Thanks
    Na thats not the attitude, were all equal members and if it was more accessable for ALL then we would get more ppl to these meets, If its kept to the south we couldnt be expected to turn up, Fairs fair ppl
    I dissagree. But it depends where you call south. Anything above London is "north" for me!

If everyone lived north of Newcastle, but I lived in Brighton, I wouldn't expect the meet to be equidistant between the two just because of me.

I see your point, but if the majority of the members here are from the midlands or just north of the midlands, I think the meet should be there. It's still a 4 hour journey from where I am, too!
    #

Scottish bloke
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Na yer not seeing my point.....

We (North of the border) would gladly travel to the Midlands i.e between Manchster and Brum, I have before and will again

We should all make the effort as its only once a year

People living close win a watch

For us that live further its a day out one a year

If its south of Brum thats a bit unfair for us Northerners i'e Scotland, Newcastle etc...

As i said before were all equal members, try and see it from everyones side and not your own selfishness

This user has no status

Thanks

We should all make the effort as its only once a year
    It would be lovely if everyone took that same attitude Frazer.

x

Thread Information