Join Today
    Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks

right switch your brains on coz this is a tricky one!!

right now listen up coz this is gonna take a while!!!

854 t5 manual wont start

work done

new fuel pump (255 walbro) new leads plugs dizzy cap rotor coil rotor arm all the usual boring stuff including fuel and injector relays

now my issues are,fuel pump comes on for a second then stops,radiator fans on constantly i even took the injector relay of (the grey one) to bridge it and see if that works and when i unplug the relay the fans stop??!!?? surely that cant be right

i also went old skool took a plug out to see if had a spark and it does...........whithout cranking and ignition turned on,but the spark gets weaker when i crank it??

its an 1995 model so i got some codes off the reader thing by the drivers headlight,dont k now if i done it right but the codes are as follows 3-1-2 1-4-1 1-4-2
    if anyone knows what they are?? coz when i looked i found every other code except those,so maybe i messed up somewhere i just dont know.

im very close to kicking ten tonnes of ££££ out the car and throwing it away but i havent got the money to start again

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese help before i do the unthinkable.............again

full respray..plenty of body mods..comets..ray cat back noise pipe..decat and wrapped downpipe..me7 exhaust manifold..3" throttle body with ported inlet manifold..blue injectors..adjustable fuel reg..reverse intercooler pipework..19t..open cone air filter..255 fuel pump..m-r-p short shift..boost gauge..unknown remap..adjustable suspension..lightweight crank pulley..n/a cams..stripped out interior..and a heavy right foot

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Have you changed or messed with the ecu recently?

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    The codes refer to:

3-1-2 Knock/Fuel enrichment signal missing
    1-4-1 Not a code I can find
    1-4-2
    ECU faulty

Taken from here http://www.scandcar.nl/volvo-850-foutcodes_en.html

The 1-4-2 code is abit worrying

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Volvostorm For This Useful Post:

theflyingbrick (Sunday 15th July 2012)

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    U had wirering probs to yr ecu at north weld also cam or crank senso could be a problem.Try the sensor first if not check yr ecu wirering mate.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingsford G For This Useful Post:

VPCUK reigning car of the year
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bomb192uk View Post
    Have you changed or messed with the ecu recently?
    When my 855 went mad, the fan ran continually, it was found to be faulty ECU...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nealevo For This Useful Post:

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    I had the same thing with mine when I changed the eprom in my ecu, fans and other stuff running continuous. Turned out to be the eprom socket wasn't connecting to the chip pins properly.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    He had troble with it and once the ecu out and back in was ok for a while.

Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks
    cheers guys i thought i was ecu like kinsgford said when it cut out at north weald i pulled the ecu out then back again and it was ok for a bit but now it wont start at all,its a hlm 304 from my previous car and i dont have the priganal ecu so im gonna try a different one (from my dads car) and see what happens.

also would the faulty ecu throw the fuel knock signal failure??

full respray..plenty of body mods..comets..ray cat back noise pipe..decat and wrapped downpipe..me7 exhaust manifold..3" throttle body with ported inlet manifold..blue injectors..adjustable fuel reg..reverse intercooler pipework..19t..open cone air filter..255 fuel pump..m-r-p short shift..boost gauge..unknown remap..adjustable suspension..lightweight crank pulley..n/a cams..stripped out interior..and a heavy right foot

I might act crazy but i don't
    smoke crack

Thanks
    I can bring your standard one up to you if you need it mate

Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks
    right, well dave did bring my original ecu back,so a big thanks to him and all seemed well for a while,especially when we found the blown fuse for the fuel pump anyway dave left all good and well then guess what.............................................. ............................yep the car cut out and now wont start again,read the codes and it flash me a 1-1-1 which i beleive is no fault found,now im really stuck what else would cause the cutting out and not starting??

Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks
    little update,i done some digging and found that 1-4-2 could also be a control module fault with the cause being..ezk ignition control module faulty,now would this be my ignition barrel problem?? if so ive just got rid of a perfectly good hlm 304 ecu also the 3-1-2 code fault is a wiring break between ezk terminal 4 and f1 #28.............i have not got the slightest idea to what that means any ideas??

I might act crazy but i don't
    smoke crack

Thanks
    Sorry to hear that mate. id have a look at the wiring diagram in the back of the haynes manual then try and chase any breaks in the loom. while your there you might aswell change the ignition barrel just to rule it out

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave86 For This Useful Post:

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theflyingbrick View Post
    cheers guys i thought i was ecu like kinsgford said when it cut out at north weald i pulled the ecu out then back again and it was ok for a bit but now it wont start at all,its a hlm 304 from my previous car and i dont have the priganal ecu so im gonna try a different one (from my dads car) and see what happens.

also would the faulty ecu throw the fuel knock signal failure??
    Not 100% sure but it is poss in case of mulfunctionof ecu or week connection(wirering to the ecu)Stick a diff ecu if no change check the wirering especiallywhere it bends.U can try fiddling the loom while someone cranking it.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingsford G For This Useful Post:

Thread Information