Join Today

Thread: Smoking at idle

This user has no status
    Thanks

Smoking at idle

The missus informed me that the ovlov was smoking more then normal on her way home tonight. It only happens when it's left idling for a few minutes when she's stuck in traffic. I would suspect valve stem oil seals or worn turbo seals if the smoke was blue but it ain't it's white. It also seems to smell more as if it's running rich when this happens but it was okay on emmissions at last MOT a few weeks ago. As soon as your moving it clears and there is no sign of it under hard acceleration etc. Any ideas guys ?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Moisture getting into the system! Mine has been doing this recently because it sits still for most of the week and builds up condensation in the exhaust, on start up , clouds of white smoke, then once onto the main road and and hoof it, full boost kicks in, HUGE plume of white smoke,, then everything is clear after that.

You could also check the induction pipe from the airbox to the turbo, there is a grommet plug down at the bottom, just before the turbo which can come out and let moist air in, also increases turbo lag hugely. Just found this today on mine, got some photos and will post when can get them off the camera.
    Swordy21

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time.
    Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
    E. B. White (1899 - 1985)
    My Location
    Done: (To date)

1998 V70 T5 CD.
    Stage 0,
    RICA ECU 310,
    ITG Pro filter,
    Volvo Strut Brace,
    J3 Stealth Boost Gauge
    Zimmerman Front (warped), Brembo Rear Rotors
    PAGID Fast Road Pads
    New Engine Top Mount Bush,
    New CV joints,
    Wobbly ABS Repair,
    PCV hose running repair

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Will have to check that. It doesn't do it from cold though only when it's hot . When you get stuck for longer than a few minutes in traffic for instance. I wonder, I like the moisture build up idea (it means there is nothing really wrong !) could condensation build up in the intercooler when the air flowing through it is only minimal then clear when you boot it ?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I dunno..

Rule of thumb,

Blue smoke - Oil
    Brown - unburnt fuel
    White - water

Worth doing some basic checks - ie plugs out, look at the coolant, oil filler cap etc etc just to see if there are any other indicators, but if nothing and emissions are OK, and it still pulls well with no other missfires or problems should be nothing to worry about.

You also need to bear in mind that the air at the moment is much more moist, so your theory about condensation inthe intercooler could be the cause.....

Cheers

Jon
    Swordy21

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time.
    Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
    E. B. White (1899 - 1985)
    My Location
    Done: (To date)

1998 V70 T5 CD.
    Stage 0,
    RICA ECU 310,
    ITG Pro filter,
    Volvo Strut Brace,
    J3 Stealth Boost Gauge
    Zimmerman Front (warped), Brembo Rear Rotors
    PAGID Fast Road Pads
    New Engine Top Mount Bush,