Join Today
    Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks

Question Engine Service required keeps showing on DIMS

Hi folks

well my engine STILL isnt happy. I kept getting the dreaded 'Engine Service Needed' which usually precludes being left beside the road with a dead car or trying to get home in 'wimp mode'

2004 V70 D5 automatic btw.

I have three codes on the OBD2
    P0401 EGR 'A' flow insufficient detected
    P0244 Generic Turbocharger/ supercharger wastegate actuator 'A' range/ performance
    P0571 Generic Brake 'A' circuit

Now the first one CANT be correct as I have removed the EGR and it was indeed like the bottom of a Yorkshire colliery blocked pretty much solid so I have adressed that and cleaned it out thoroughly and performance improved (for a while)

Ive not actually HAD limp mode yet but she is lacking performance and accleration when you need it (as in trying to pull out before a foreign trucker tries to flatten you)

The Brake switch I know will not affect performance my dealings with this switch on past cars - it prevents CRUISE from engaging and cruis is FINE so thats clearly another spurious fault

My main suspicion is the 'wastegate actuator'.

Currently I am mainly reuilding the turbo I have had to remove from my other T5 (a VW TRANSPORTER!) which had a seized VNT nozzle ring again due to carbon concretion! The fault looks strangely like this but the V70 has a 'proper' wastegate not these awful VNT things (which jam frequently on diesels)

Ive replaced the turbo on a previous V70 but that was clearly a blown turbo ( the turbine had seized).

So over to you knowlegdable experts please what am i looking at replacing to stop this 'Engine blah blah' every 10 seconds annoying me driving to work and keeping my car running as she used to like a Swiss watch? I truly adore this car and it cost me a lot more than my past ones so I want to look after her. She was a 'low mileage' (120k running in milegage for a V70) one disabled lady owner before and she FEELS new apart from this - the car NOT the lady!!

So can i pick your brains please and HOW can I clear the 2 faults from the CAN that I pretty much KNOW are errors and pure 'ghost faults'?

Many Thanks

PS what does this 'A' mean against a fault???

could it need the DPF celaning out with that chemical? Just seen a guy on here do it and his fault cleared?
    Last edited by Tee5alive; Monday 20th June 2022 at 18:42.
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11614&dateline=143983  7674

2004 - V70 D5 -'Black Bess' - The new addition
    2002 - C70 T5 'Ragetty Anne' - awaiting rebuild long term storage

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi
    I’ve never had the A range faults. But that may be because you are using a generic OBD2 fault code reader and not Vida. Vida is more specific.
    You could remove the turbo heat shield by undoing the 5x 12mm bolts and then manually lever the actuator arm forward and back to ensure that the VNT is not seized.
    If that’s ok you could remove the turbo governor and disassemble it and clean/lubricate it. There are videos on how to do this on YouTube. The SiRobb ones are easy to follow.
    Whilst you have removed the turbo governor attach the line that goes to THR actuator to a mitivac and check it holds vacuum and check that the actuator rod moves as well.
    If all is good then T into any vacuum line and check the car is making about-26psi at idle.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to uqj83l For This Useful Post:

Tee5alive (Tuesday 21st June 2022)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Also, if your car is a 2004 D5 surely it will be a Euro 3. That means it won’t have a dpf. Just a TWC- three way catalytic converter.
    You can unbolt the downpipe and wash it through with degreaser and water after taking it out. It isn’t too tricky to remove. It doesn’t have any O2 sensors in it. The trickiest bit is removing the steering rack crash bracket.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to uqj83l For This Useful Post:

Tee5alive (Tuesday 21st June 2022)

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    Nice one buddy I'll get to it thanks.
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11614&dateline=143983  7674

2004 - V70 D5 -'Black Bess' - The new addition
    2002 - C70 T5 'Ragetty Anne' - awaiting rebuild long term storage

Thread Information