Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Switching back from coilovers - parts needed?

What parts would I need to switch from coilovers back to standard shocks and springs, i.e. what would have been taken off when the coilovers were fitted? I'm buying a kit from PFS which includes some parts but they're not sure if anything else will be needed, and I want to make sure I have everything when I hand it over to my mechanic.

Other options for the kit are Eibach springs, which I'll probably go for, and Koni Special Active (formerly FSD) shocks, however the FSDs put the kit close to a grand. Anyone gone with this setup on an 855R? Here's a copy and paste about the car that I sent to PFS:

- I have strut braces front and rear (in the boot, not underneath).
    - An iPD anti-roll bar is installed in the rear, and I have one for installation in the front.
    - The car is on 18s with 5mm spacers front and 20mm rear. I don't think (hope!) this should be a concern with a 30mm drop.
    - The roadholding is great with the current setup, but the ride is pretty bad, mostly because of the aging coilovers.
    - I'd like a good balance of ride and roadholding, with a slight bias to ride.

Switching because the car failed on a suspension imbalance, one of the shocks is forked. The rears have sagged a lot too. I was hoping to put this car on air at some point, but a) I can't afford it, and b) there's no-one available to fit it here.

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    Don't bother - just get a set of BC coilovers to replace whatever you have on there at the moment- will get a better ride, fully adjustable, and at £700 cheaper than new standard suspension after you've factored in top mounts, bump stops and the various other odds an sods plus labour to build it all back up, best part of a grand by my reckoning- more if nivomats are involved!

Spec. the springs at 7/7 instead of the standard 4/5 , you'll be glad of the extra spring resistance under load.

Have fun. Cheers

This user has no status

Thanks
    That's what I'm switching from. Was happy with them for a year or two, then the rears sank, the coils rusted to bejesus, they got very rough, and now one of the shocks has gone.

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Ok not a great review for someone that would really like to buy some BC's, as i thought other that KC's these were the dogs nuts of 850 suspenion, thinking to save my money and go for KW's.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    I've got two cars sat on BCs and cannot fault them even after a couple of years.

I'd be getting in touch with BC via the distributor where you bought them - clearly there's a problem with your original set up - they may well try to sort it out for you.

KWs are another good choice, but at twice the price point I'm not sure you'll notice the difference enough to warrant the extra spend. But each to their own.

Fresh standard suspension is nice, but in my opinion was always a bit soft for a T5, allowing for excessive wheel spin and less than flat cornering under spirited driving conditions. Just depends on what your after really. Changing back won't be cheap, but may me just what your after, and therefore worth the investment.

This user has no status

Thanks
    The distributor was a dick, I won't deal with him again. And I found BC less than responsive. I won't be buying BC again. I considered KW but I can't afford them right now.

I was very clear about what I was looking for in the title of the thread, never mind the body. I've no idea why you're recommending coilovers.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    Ok not a great review for someone that would really like to buy some BC's, as i thought other that KC's these were the dogs nuts of 850 suspenion, thinking to save my money and go for KW's.
    I would TBH. I considered it myself but I bought a Jag at the start of the year so I can't afford the investment in the Volvo at the moment. If I could afford it, I'd install KW's. Definitely not BCs.
    Last edited by dahamsta; Tuesday 30th November 2021 at 18:00.

time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    in response to your original question I commented:

'... factored in top mounts, bump stops and the various other odds an sods plus labour to build it all back up, best part of a grand by my reckoning- more if nivomats are involved!'

Therfore I recommended coilovers because you mentioned funds were tight and BCs are a valid option when on a budget, and although you seem to have had a poor experience, the bulk of people I've spoken to have nothing but praise for the BCs myself included. Speak as you find I guess.

Going back to OEM suspension is not cheap, but worthwhile if compliant ride is paramount.. so good luck, hope you get the desired outcome.

http://www.volvotips.com/index.php/8...-manual-front/

There's a link for everything on the front - that site has a link to rear - but you'll likely not need anything on rear unless going to nivomats where you'll require different top mounts to standard shocks.

This user has no status

Thanks
    PFS's kit linked in the top post is 700, I'm just trying to find out which nuts and bolts it won't include, thought someone might know off the top of their head. I'll just buy the kit and compare it VIDA.

If in doubt thrash it and see
    what happens
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    Other options for the kit are Eibach springs, which I'll probably go for, and Koni Special Active (formerly FSD) shocks, however the FSDs put the kit close to a grand. Anyone gone with this setup on an 855R?
    I ran FSD and Eibach on my 855 T5 for about eight years. It worked great and was pretty comfy for use as a family bus and landlord-mobile as well as fast business use and running back and forth from West cornwall several times a year. did about 100k n that set up and would probably chose that setup again - for my type of usage. Cannot say whether it would suit other peoples style and desires but no problems here.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks woz. I've taken the car off the road for 3 months, I'll see how the finances are at the end of Feb.

Thread Information