Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Xenon headlight conversion query

Hi
    I’ve got a spare set of xenon headlights from a 2005 V70R with the looms and headlight switch. I want to fit them to my 2005 XC70 D5 however at first glance it looks like the loom connections won’t allow this in a plug and play manner. Has anyone done this? Am I missing something?
    Name:  A480B612-AE03-4582-B29E-B9A59338B92A.jpeg
Views: 0
Size:  82.1 KB

Name:  FC8C82C2-0BE5-44D0-BA2C-2DC0503BCBC3.jpeg
Size:  95.0 KB

Name:  68699BEE-26F9-4C9D-A0E5-C2AF4DDC7C62.jpeg
Size:  125.6 KB

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    I don't think it can be done mate without replacing the CEM.
    Also, does your Ocean Race have headlight wipers OR pop up jets? If not, it will never pass the new MOT rules.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks Lee, that’s a shame. I don’t want to be replacing the CEM, or installing any resistors. I wanted plug and play. As for the washers it has high pressure jets built into the front bumper which wash the headlights every 5th time the windscreen is washed.

What are the new MOT rules on headlight washers?

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uqj83l View Post
    Thanks Lee, that’s a shame. I don’t want to be replacing the CEM, or installing any resistors. I wanted plug and play. As for the washers it has high pressure jets built into the front bumper which wash the headlights every 5th time the windscreen is washed.

What are the new MOT rules on headlight washers?
    It's a grey area in respects to what you want to do....

22 March 2021.
    4.1.4. Headlamps - Compliance with requirements - Changed 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.' to 'Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible.'

Although you're not removing Halogen and replacing with HID, your still essentially changing what was originally fitted.

However, since your Ocean Race already has headlamp washers (a component that is essential for HID's or LED's to be legal) then, unless the inspector KNOWS the car is meant to have a particular light type, then you may be ok.

So, going back to your issue, I understand the plugs don't fit. However, have you confirmed the wiring type at the plugs is the same? Are there extra wires? different colours?

If you ping me the VIN of each car, I may be able to check VIDA EWD to see what is the difference?

If it's a simple case of different plugs, then you could just source some plugs that fit and modify. I do also believe there may be an element of software with the CEM that is for HID or Halogen....probably to do with the light sensor or electronic level motors in the Bi-Xenon light units, something which the Ocean Race does not have to worry about.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Thursday 6th May 2021 at 11:32.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    It looks like the only viable option would be to buy the xenons headlights and headlight looms off a non R model and then it will be plug and play. Even if I did modify the wiring I’d still need in line resistors to prevent getting the ‘bulb failure’ message on the instrument cluster. Too problematic for me when there is the option of a plug and play solution.

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Wouldn't you also need to fit a rear level sensor for the self leveling system to work and comply to the regs ??, just a thought, as my Abarth 595 has bi-xenon option fitted and had an issue with the rear sensor, which left the lights auto adjustment too high and really pee'd off oncoming drivers, all sorted now though.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Maybe I would have had to fit some sort of levelling sensor. I’m unsure, especially considering that my XC70 has nivomat self levelling suspension which automatically levels under load hence making any level sensor a pointless addition...?
    The conversion has been parked anyway unless I pick up a set of V70 xenons off a non R car.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    Wouldn't you also need to fit a rear level sensor for the self leveling system to work and comply to the regs ??, just a thought, as my Abarth 595 has bi-xenon option fitted and had an issue with the rear sensor, which left the lights auto adjustment too high and really pee'd off oncoming drivers, all sorted now though.
    Yes, you do have to have a means of levelling the lights for load compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by uqj83l View Post
    Maybe I would have had to fit some sort of levelling sensor. I’m unsure, especially considering that my XC70 has nivomat self levelling suspension which automatically levels under load hence making any level sensor a pointless addition...?
    The conversion has been parked anyway unless I pick up a set of V70 xenons off a non R car.
    If your car has Nivomats then you won't need to fit a level sensor.

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    If your car has Nivomats then you won't need to fit a level sensor.
    Every days a school day as they say, I never new that, though with the age of vehicles I have, I'm learning new stuff with the new addition of the Abarth 595

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MoleT-5R For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Thursday 13th May 2021)

Thread Information