Join Today
    Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks

Replacement speakers?

Can anyone recommend good upgrade speakers please? Sadly my new one has a sound system thats seen better days and the speakers sound like tupperware boxes full of angry bees! Ive put a Pioneer head unit in her and the speakers let it down any HINT of cranking up the DNB and the speakers run home to mummy.

Looking for straight swap units without any cutting huge holes in stuff please. A bloke gave the the name of an audio shop up north to put a sound system in my T5 van, they do great stuff but I forgot their name.

Ta muchly
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11614&dateline=143983  7674

2004 - V70 D5 -'Black Bess' - The new addition
    2002 - C70 T5 'Ragetty Anne' - awaiting rebuild long term storage

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    I got some Edge 6.5 inch ones from halfords the other week as the ones in my S60 were utter crap. £31 and they come with seperate tweeters and a crossover.

I've had it turned up bloody loud and they handle it ok. The difference was night and day!

It's a bit of a faff to get the old speakers out of the mount and the ring seal doesn't fit back in that well but still goes in ok. I used nutserts to reattached the speaker mount as it's riveted in as standard and you have to drill them out.
    Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Friday 5th March 2021 at 20:41.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

Tee5alive (Friday 5th March 2021)

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
    I got some Edge 6.5 inch ones from halfords the other week as the ones in my S60 were utter crap. £31 and they come with seperate tweeters and a crossover.

I've had it turned up bloody loud and they handle it ok. The difference was night and day!

It's a bit of a faff to get the old speakers out of the mount and the ring seal doesn't fit back in that well but still goes in ok. I used nutserts to reattached the speaker mount as it's riveted in as standard and you have to drill them out.
    EXCELLENT Im off to Halfords with me card!
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11614&dateline=143983  7674

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i put Hertz in mine pretty much a direct fit lust needed to adapt the plug speaker end, they are a huge improvement over standard
    P1 V70 2.5T Scorpion Exhaust, 3" downpipe 100cel cat, BSR induction, KKK24, GWE 3" Maf to turbo pipe,japanifold , 2010 V50 T5 Alloys Projector Headlamps with 5k Hid kit Quickshift kit, strut brace, Koni Yellow Sport,IPD BCS AET motorsport remap
    Previous: 2004 XC90 T6, 240GLT Estate, 343DL
    Toys: Capri 3.7 Twin turbo, Kawasaki ZX10R 2006,

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deathrider311271 For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Saturday 6th March 2021),Tee5alive (Monday 8th March 2021)

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Oh yes, I forgot to say the speaker wires are soldered to the speaker mount (odd way of doing it). I just broke them off then soldered the crossover input to that so I could retain the factory connector. Drilled a hole in the speaker mount so the wires to the crossover and wires back to the speaker could pass through. I mounted the crossover in the space below where the tweeter sits.

I hot glued the tweeter in place as it has a connector to attach it to the crossover. I should have took some pics really.

There are plenty of videos on youtube of how to get the factory speakers out.

Halfords also do some coaxial 6.5 inch speakers, I was thinking of getting them to replace the rear door speakers (and they're cheaper). But I'm not sure if they have a crossover built in.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions guys I'll have a shufty to sees whats out there. Nothing spoils a lovely Volvo more than rattly speakers and a 'Tesco' sound system
    Last edited by Tee5alive; Monday 8th March 2021 at 17:32.

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
    Oh yes, I forgot to say the speaker wires are soldered to the speaker mount (odd way of doing it). I just broke them off then soldered the crossover input to that so I could retain the factory connector. Drilled a hole in the speaker mount so the wires to the crossover and wires back to the speaker could pass through. I mounted the crossover in the space below where the tweeter sits.

I hot glued the tweeter in place as it has a connector to attach it to the crossover. I should have took some pics really.

There are plenty of videos on youtube of how to get the factory speakers out.

Halfords also do some coaxial 6.5 inch speakers, I was thinking of getting them to replace the rear door speakers (and they're cheaper). But I'm not sure if they have a crossover built in.
    Ive fitted a nice Pioneer touch screen HU now with all the toys on it (reversing camera, GPS etc) and a boosted DAB aerial. Next step is those speakers over Easter!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tee5alive For This Useful Post:

deathrider311271 (Friday 2nd April 2021)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    If I remember correctly, Volvo speakers are rated 8ohms and most, if not all, aftermarket headunits output at 4ohms. Not sure if this will be a problem but I'd do research first or speak to an Car audio shop first. If you already bought the HU, then you may have already jumped into the frying pan

If you wanted to upgrade the system, then I would have got a second hand HU803 and married it up to a 'Dynaudio' speaker set from a V70R. Marry that to a BT module for around £100 and you've got yourself a sweet sounding system. With the stock Subwoofer in the rear floor, trust me, you'll be hard pushed to find another setup that will beat it, without heavy modification and having to buy extra expensive amplifiers.
    Bass was rich, lows were really low and the highs were crisp without piercing your ears with a pin!
    Last edited by LeeT5; Wednesday 7th April 2021 at 11:31.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Volvo Enthusiast

Thanks
    How hard is it to replace a speaker in a car? I haven't tried to do it before since I am already satisfied with the sound on my car.

Thread Information