Join Today
    Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks

Replacing awkward headlamps

Cam someone please point me to a thread how to change headlamp bulbs on a 2004 V70 please. These are recessed so far i cant even get my hand in there!

Does the whole headlamp have to be removed to do this? Is that the only option loosening the bumper etc, if so a bit daft what you had to change a bulb goes beside the road in the dark

Thanks
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11614&dateline=143983  7674

2004 - V70 D5 -'Black Bess' - The new addition
    2002 - C70 T5 'Ragetty Anne' - awaiting rebuild long term storage

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Apparently you have to remove the bumper to get the headlights out (which apparently is easy to do, some clips and a couple of screws).

When I changed my bulbs I took the airbox out to get a good view of how the clip system works on the N/S headlight and then applied that to the other headlight
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Wednesday 7th April 2021),Tee5alive (Thursday 4th March 2021)

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    cheers Dave
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11614&dateline=143983  7674

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hey.

I've spent a bit of time on my headlights recently. (2002 V70)
    Which side are you looking to replace?

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyP View Post
    Hey.

I've spent a bit of time on my headlights recently. (2002 V70)
    Which side are you looking to replace?
    Hi Davey

Ive bought a polishing kit to have a go at buffing up my lights thnk Ive worked out a way to change the lamps without stripping down half the car!

Thanks for the offer though.

New Identity
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tee5alive View Post
    Hi Davey

Ive bought a polishing kit to have a go at buffing up my lights thnk Ive worked out a way to change the lamps without stripping down half the car!

Thanks for the offer though.
    I've got a polishing kit too, just waiting for the warmer weather so I can get the bumper off and take them off the car
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Cam someone please point me to a thread how to change headlamp bulbs on a 2004 V70 please. These are recessed so far i cant even get my hand in there!

Does the whole headlamp have to be removed to do this? Is that the only option loosening the bumper etc, if so a bit daft what you had to change a bulb goes beside the road in the dark

Thanks
    You don't need to remove the front bumper.
    Take a picture of the rear of the bulb holder with your phone, study it then remove the bulbs. It's not difficult.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Wednesday 7th April 2021)

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    You don't need to remove the front bumper.
    Take a picture of the rear of the bulb holder with your phone, study it then remove the bulbs. It's not difficult.
    Hi Lee

its not replacing them thats a problem I have HUGE hands and the offside light theres like room for a 2 year old to get their hand in! I even took it Halfords and they refused to change it due to 'all the work needed'.
    Driving to work at 4am this morning the dreaded thing happened the offside bulb went bang! I have to drive to work in the dark and home in it so im screwed!
    I had also tried to polish the crappy plastic lenses with no joy. My last V70 was only a year older but still the P2 and had the lovely GLASS lamps. As I have to take most of the front of the car off - can I replace the crap plastic ones with glass please. Kill 2 birds with one stone!! I am ANTI PLASTIC everything (due to the state of the oceans) and WHY they fit plastic lenses that get grit blasted every time it rains is beyond me?????

New Identity
    Thanks
    Yeah these plastic headlights are a nightmare, and there aren't many on ebay let alone cheap ones. I saw some faded plastic ones for over £100 each!

The good news is it's really easy to get the bumper off and the headlights then just unbolt.

I polished my plastic ones with a kit off ebay, then sprayed them with clearcoat that came with the kit, seemed to work ok, not perfect but loads better than the faded plastic before.

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
    Yeah these plastic headlights are a nightmare, and there aren't many on ebay let alone cheap ones. I saw some faded plastic ones for over £100 each!

The good news is it's really easy to get the bumper off and the headlights then just unbolt.
    Cheers Dave but do you know if the glass ones fit right in place of the plastic trash? I just scrapped my old V70 that had a spotless set od glass lamps on ((((((

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The lower headlight bolt is behind the bumper bracket. If you drill a 20mm hole through the bracket that’ll mean you never have to remove the bumper brackets to remove the headlights.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to uqj83l For This Useful Post:

Tee5alive (Friday 3rd December 2021)

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uqj83l View Post
    The lower headlight bolt is behind the bumper bracket. If you drill a 20mm hole through the bracket that’ll mean you never have to remove the bumper brackets to remove the headlights.
    NICE ONE cheers

New Identity
    Thanks
    I know the S80 ones don't fit but not sure if the S60 early ones will fit the later, I think I remember someone fitting the later to the early some years ago.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Hi Lee

its not replacing them thats a problem I have HUGE hands and the offside light theres like room for a 2 year old to get their hand in! I even took it Halfords and they refused to change it due to 'all the work needed'.
    Driving to work at 4am this morning the dreaded thing happened the offside bulb went bang! I have to drive to work in the dark and home in it so im screwed!
    I had also tried to polish the crappy plastic lenses with no joy. My last V70 was only a year older but still the P2 and had the lovely GLASS lamps. As I have to take most of the front of the car off - can I replace the crap plastic ones with glass please. Kill 2 birds with one stone!! I am ANTI PLASTIC everything (due to the state of the oceans) and WHY they fit plastic lenses that get grit blasted every time it rains is beyond me?????
    That's because you're doing it wrong mate. Making plastic UV damaged headlights clear again is pi s s easy! I've done it to Peugeots, Volvo's and Golf mk7's all with outstanding results and in less than 2 hours.

Get yourself some 2000 grit and 1000 grit wet n dry from Halfords. Use a bucket of warm soapy water (fairy liquid is best) and use the 1000 grit first.
    Mask off the surrounding areas so as not to scratch the paint. Then use horizontal & vertical movements (Do not use circular motions) to flatten the plastic until it feels baby skin smooth to the touch. Takes about 10 mins per Grit, per headlight. Use even pressure and make sure you cover the entire light. Rinse off with a sponge or cloth then move onto the 2000 grit and do the same. Once finished, rinse off then switch to an abrasive polish or dedicated plastic polish with a DA machine polisher to buff the lens until it looks crystal!
    If you don't have a DA machine then proceed to 3000 grit, rinse and then buff polish by hand.

Trust me, when you do it right the results are amazing and will last a good few years before you need to do a quick polish to buff them up again. Glass headlights are good but it only takes a stone to smash the glass and it's a major headache. The glass lens are getting more difficult to get hold off these days and all manufacturers use Plastic headlights and have done for over 10 years. They are much more resilient and long lasting.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    cheers Lee but looking at mine the other day close up they are CRAZED so I think its game over for them

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    cheers Lee but looking at mine the other day close up they are CRAZED so I think its game over for them
    It's on the surface, trust me. The grit will get most of it out.

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leet5 View Post
    it's on the surface, trust me. The grit will get most of it out.
    ooohhh great ill try it!

Thread Information