Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

Anyone with the D5 (or other diesel) fitted the Torque Mount with the Powerflex Bush?

I've been reading on the Swedespeed forum about the benefits of the Torque Mount Insert provided by Powerflex. However they all seem to own petrol engines. Has anyone with a diesel tried the mod?

Here's the thread.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...upgrade-so-far

Here's a picture of the insert in place.

Thanks Guys
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    don;t know about that but like the username

How about an introduce yourself thread with some pics of the D5...

Old Fat Git with Grey Beard
    Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Thanked 102,999 Times in 1,826 Posts
    Come on guys, it only needed one warning, remember the OP is trying to seek information and opinions here.

Mr Tyler Durden (great name btw) is there a reason you are considering moving away from Volvo OE bushes? (Handling / Feel / Because the old ones need replacing and these are yellow?)

Cheers
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    As OP is from Shrewsbury, it might be a good idea to come along to our next volvo meet at the Smoke Stop in Ford, that way you can have a chat and maby try out some cars. keep an eye out on the meetings section , and for what it's worth, I think polybushing your diesel will rattle your teeth out
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

LiamT4 (Saturday 16th May 2015),S40kieran (Sunday 17th May 2015)

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    I think polybushing your diesel will rattle your teeth out
    it did with Bonny, i fitted a Powerflex top mount & that only lasted 2 days before going back to a Volvo rubber bush (& i'm quite tolerant to noise/vibrations)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

claymore (Friday 15th May 2015),Santa (Friday 15th May 2015)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Given that the two main lower engine mounts are Vacuum controlled by the cars ECM at a certain a rpm, fitting a 'stiffer' poly bush would, without doubt, have a detrimental effect on the cabin's vibration at engine speed over 1500rpm. At 1500 + rpm, the two lower main Vacuum controlled bushes become 'less' stiff as there is less vibration. The top engine mount is required to remain pliable otherwise you will suffer excess vibration and cabin noise.
    So, to conclude, it's ok to fit poly bushes of varying stiffness to a petrol car depending on it's use, but very careful consideration needs to be adhered to on Diesel's to maintain a good equilibrium between comfort/performance. Therefore, replacing the top mount with poly IMH is a very bad idea on a diesel.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Friday 15th May 2015 at 10:19.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Santa (Friday 15th May 2015)

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    I've changed lower mount and upper big and small and the strut bar and subframe mounts. Mine vibes a bit but around tick over but it's gone at 1000. I quite like it makes the car tingle and feel alive and I get a nice noise from the exhaust at 1,500 rpm then again when booting it.

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    As I said (the first time?), the Polybush on a Diesel can cause vibration but the benefits sometimes outweigh the niggles. A softer powerflex bushing is typically recommended on a Diesel.

Whiny Old Git
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    As I said (the first time?), the Polybush on a Diesel can cause vibration but the benefits sometimes outweigh the niggles. A softer powerflex bushing is typically recommended on a Diesel.
    Can you please explain the benefits for us
    PIC][/SIGPIC]

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

13. The Following User Says Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

S70T5Chris (Friday 15th May 2015)

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Can you please explain the benefits for us
    Yes certainly. The power delivery seems smoother, the throttle response seems more 'instant' and the car feels generally more stable around the bends and when accelerating. It made a massive difference to the feel of the T5.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Yes certainly. The power delivery seems smoother, the throttle response seems more 'instant' and the car feels generally more stable around the bends and when accelerating. It made a massive difference to the feel of the T5.
    Interesting.

How does fitting poly bushes compare to fitting new standard rubber bushes?
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

Whiny Old Git
    Thanks
    We're not talking about petrol engines, we're talking about diesels
    PIC][/SIGPIC]

Driving a D but wants a T
    Thanks
    As well as avoiding polybushing that top mount on your D5, I would also avoid buying a cheap replacement mount from Ebay, as mine lasted less than a year. Currently, the car sounds utterly dreadful when pulling away or reversing. Sounds as though the engine is falling out!

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    He's still at it and I'm thoroughly pi$$ed of that my completely valid point was removed last night, does anyone on here have experience of the torque bushing pictured at the beginning of this thread ????? and fitted it to a diesel Volvo ????, or are we going to listen to someones limited experience of normal polybushes in suspension arms and engine steadies and as Chris has said new rubber bushes would offer massive improvements over worn items, we need back to back proven informative testing, not someone's biased and unsubstantiated best guess
    Last edited by MoleT-5R; Friday 15th May 2015 at 23:19. Reason: can't spell

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MoleT-5R For This Useful Post:

S70T5Chris (Saturday 16th May 2015)

Thanks
    I haven't tried it myself no, but I did read up on the polybush last year before i bought that cheap rubbish mount off Ebay, and the general opinion was not to use the pollys in the diesels as they give off too much vibration in the cabin.
    However, this thread has given me an idea.
    I will try taking up the gap in the mount with some tie wraps, and see if it helps with the horrendous vibrations that I am getting

Whiny Old Git
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stutgart69 View Post
    I haven't tried it myself no, but I did read up on the polybush last year before i bought that cheap rubbish mount off Ebay, and the general opinion was not to use the pollys in the diesels as they give off too much vibration in the cabin.
    However, this thread has given me an idea.
    I will try taking up the gap in the mount with some tie wraps, and see if it helps with the horrendous vibrations that I am getting
    Mole's comment wasn't aimed at you at all mate
    PIC][/SIGPIC]

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Sunday 17th May 2015),stutgart69 (Saturday 16th May 2015)

Thanks
    Anno bud. It took me a minute or two to work out what he was on about, but I got there in the end

24. The Following User Says Thank You to stutgart69 For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Sunday 17th May 2015)

Old Fat Git with Grey Beard
    Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Thanked 102,999 Times in 1,826 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    He's still at it and I'm thoroughly pi$$ed of that my completely valid point was removed last night, does anyone on here have experience of the torque bushing pictured at the beginning of this thread ????? and fitted it to a diesel Volvo ????, or are we going to listen to someones limited experience of normal polybushes in suspension arms and engine steadies and as Chris has said new rubber bushes would offer massive improvements over worn items, we need back to back proven informative testing, not someone's biased and unsubstantiated best guess
    Not entirely agree with you, but opinions/guessing/limited experience should be made clear by the poster when posting so it can be differentiated from posts containing information from more qualified/experienced posts.

I removed a whole bunch of posts, pissed you off, my apologies, did any of the posts that I removed actually help answer the OPs query, no they didn't and it was the Op that was more affected by the thread being taken off topic than those that wanted the chance to possibly get a dig in.
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Santa For This Useful Post:

960kg (Saturday 16th May 2015),MoleT-5R (Sunday 17th May 2015)

No poke with out smoke
    Thanks
    You might be able to fit the performance ford ones st/rs and alike , I know on the classic x40's you can fit Mitsubishi evo bushes and components, even brakes and FTO brakes will fit.
    Two volvo Kieran, volvo s40 1.9d and volvo s60 d5 remapped by polestar.

Whiny Old Git
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by S40kieran View Post
    You might be able to fit the performance ford ones st/rs and alike , I know on the classic x40's you can fit Mitsubishi evo bushes and components, even brakes and FTO brakes will fit.
    I believe the Ford Transit connect one is a good upgrade.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]

Thread Information