Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

2.4 d5 euro 3 in 2004 xc90

hi all only my 2nd post [1st was to say hi]
    i bought a 2004 xc90 2years back , first thing i did after owning for 2 days was to replace the timing belt , water pump tensioner and idler [used genuine volvo bits] along with new aux drive belt , tensioner ,idler and alternator free wheeling clutch pulley. and a full service . first ever volvo owned and loved it . [carried out all work myself as used to be a mot tester / mechanic but retired in 2012 after a serious back injury resulting in the first 5 vertebrae in my spine being fused together] . all well until mid October when the bottom pulley separated and allowed some of the aux drive belt to wrap around bottom timing belt sprocket and causing catastrophic damage to the head .
    i,ve eventually found a good replacement head so set to t replace knackered one . i was amazed to see the amount of black sludge/carbon build up in the intake system . so i set about cleaning and polishing the whole system before rebuild see pics . i also removed all valves and fully decoked the head and had valves and seats recut and lapped in .
    my Q now is can i blank off the E.G.R valve where it bolts to the intake elbow ? to help keep everything clean as having all that gunk in the intake system cant be good
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by Hodge911; Thursday 10th December 2020 at 20:29.

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    From what I can gather there are people who have blanked off the EGR. There are some blanking plates available to buy but you can make your own

Here is one particular thread:
    https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=26187

But I bet there are plenty out there.
    Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Thursday 10th December 2020 at 22:26.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Blinding job on the cleaning. Total blanking plate will throw a flow too low code. You’ll have to get the software reprogrammed to shut the EGR solenoid permanently closed to prevent the fault code. I’ve done this on my euro 3. Your engine oil will be much more golden and not jet black like most diesels after this mod.

Keeping it Green
    Thanks

New Identity
    Thanks
    I think I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend (having just purchased an '04 D5)
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
    From what I can gather there are people who have blanked off the EGR. There are some blanking plates available to buy but you can make your own

Here is one particular thread:
    https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=26187

But I bet there are plenty out there.
    ordered plate ... from what ive managed to read theres 2 plates one has a small hole in centre . i pressume thats to help if you get the low flow problem .
    i,m hoping that after getting rid of all the gunk and polishing the whole intake system that it will run nice and smooth

Keeping it Green
    Thanks
    My D5 has just had the same treatment, it alleviates turbo lag and lets a few more horses through.

Smoother & gruntier.

However, to reduce the risk of getting caught, I didn't physically blank off the EGR, alternatively, the valve is kept electronically closed and which can be switched back to "legal" at the press of a button.

New Identity
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David P View Post
    However, to reduce the risk of getting caught, I didn't physically blank off the EGR, alternatively, the valve is kept electronically closed and which can be switched back to "legal" at the press of a button.
    Is that via a remap of the ecu? or just a DIY thing? Does it throw any codes?

Keeping it Green
    Thanks
    Is that via a remap of the ecu? or just a DIY thing? Does it throw any codes?
    It's part of the BSR stage 1 remap.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to David P For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Friday 11th December 2020)

New Identity
    Thanks
    Ah I see

Keeping it Green
    Thanks
    Ah I see
    It was the ease of install and/or uninstall that was the deciding factor to choose this option.

(Excuse the thread hijack)

Keeping it Green
    Thanks
    I notice that your "gunk" was wet & sludgy yet my "gunk" was dry & crunchy!

Maybe a good idea to check the turbo oil seal?

And inside of the intercooler for more sludge, if you haven't already?

Last edited by David P; Friday 11th December 2020 at 18:16.

New Identity
    Thanks
    Had a look inside my piping today. It was dry and dusty buildup

I guess maybe oil leaking from the turbo which causes the gunky buildup?

This user has no status

Thanks
    My D5 has just had the same treatment, it alleviates turbo lag and lets a few more horses through.

Smoother & gruntier.

By that I take it you mean cleaned the intake system ?

This user has no status

Thanks
    I notice that your "gunk" was wet & sludgy yet my "gunk" was dry & crunchy!

Maybe a good idea to check the turbo oil seal?

And inside of the intercooler for more sludge, if you haven't already?

Sorry mate forgot to say ...
    It's got a new intercooler I fitted about 2 months after getting it as I noticed a small drip of oil on drive and on inspection I found that the intercooler was goosed well distorted / corroded . Checked turbo today no oil visible on inlet side there's a VERY SMALL amount of up-down play in shaft but no end float so I'd say its ok (but I'm no turbo expert)

Keeping it Green
    Thanks
    If your intercooler was dripping oil, it could only have come from the turbocharger.

I suggest that you have it inspected by someone who knows his onions, the last thing you want is the engine "going-up" to destruction.

P.S. Take a look inside your new intercooler and see how much oil it has trapped?
    Last edited by David P; Friday 11th December 2020 at 19:57.

This user has no status

Thanks
    If your intercooler was dripping oil, it could only have come from the turbocharger.

I suggest that you have it inspected by someone who knows his onions, the last thing you want is the engine "going-up" to destruction.

P.S. Take a look inside your new intercooler and see how much oil it has trapped?
    Fair comment mate ..
    I'll check intercooler in morning .. I've got the intercooler pipes whilst doing the head and from fitting the intercooler nearly 2yrs ago they only had a Very Light misting of oil in them & I mean very light ... which I thought was normal ....
    Do you think it would be worth removing turbo and checking / cleaning if needed the variable vanes ?

Keeping it Green
    Thanks
    Turbochargers spin so fast the vanes keep themselves clean, it's the oil seal that you need to be concerned about.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Turbochargers spin so fast the vanes keep themselves clean, it's the oil seal that you need to be concerned about.
    Ok thanks .... I'll get the head job finished and make sure its running ok .... then I'll pull turbo off and get it checked over ... anywhere anyone can recommend ?

Keeping it Green
    Thanks
    Your profile doesn't indicate where you are?

Midland Turbo, Nottingham or London Turbo, Romford; do reconditioned exchange units for around £265.

Or if your budget doesn't go that far, you could always chance a pre-loved unit for £50 - £75 from ebay?

Or now knowing what symptoms to avoid, you could take your pick of the litter at a local scrapyard?
    Last edited by David P; Friday 11th December 2020 at 23:23.

Thread Information