Good evening,

Advice please. I have recently bought an S40 T5 and I love the performance, particularly the throttle response and lack of turbo lag which was a pleasant surprise.

My son and I have a project car and we want to put a Volvo engine in it. Ideally this would be from a similar vehicle but it would be sacrilege to cannibalise an S40 T5 not to mention far too expensive.

So option 2 is an older, rougher, 2.3 or 2.4 T5 (or possibly a 2.5T) that is past it's sell by date. My simple question is which of these or any other model has the least lag. Absolute power is not the biggest factor, target is 200-220 BHP, but it is more the driveability. I'm looking for "point and squirt" rather than "wait and whoosh" if you know what I mean.

I think only the s40 T5 has the LPT which is integral to the exhaust manifold which I presume is part of the reason it's so responsive? Which other cylinder heads would that manifold fit as my local scrappy has a bent S40 T5 which still has the turbo on it. Or which other models have LPT?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.