Join Today
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newby

Thanks
    Right so another Goodwood track day done!

Car did incredibly well, defenitly shocked a fair few people on the day and the new semi slicks were defenitly a great tire. The question is, would I get them again? Im not entirely sure, after one day the front left was absolutly demolished and pretty much bold.

The car was flying through the day but unfortunetly that all came to a stop in the afternoon when the driveshaft failed. It was bound to happen with that much power through the front wheels and the constant struggle for grip. So had to retire the Volvo, luckily my other car was on hand to take up the last hour of the day ... so took the A45 on track and it was an absolute weapon.

Some video's below:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/mYNseRL58zw

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ErfpsX2y2pg

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/gt9poyeeris

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/0osKV9fSsz0

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/GD10sy9c7ls

Gave the Merc a good blast as well:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/R-ibIS6_Elk

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/qTTujPuCF40

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/pQuF8xM3lQM

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moonpiemagic For This Useful Post:

JT (Sunday 1st May 2022),kmb (Sunday 1st May 2022)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Both sound rather nice!!
    62' V60 D3 R Design
    62' V60 T6 AWD R Design polestar'd

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Timo. For This Useful Post:

Moonpiemagic (Wednesday 4th May 2022)

Newby

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo. View Post
    Both sound rather nice!!
    Thank you.

The Volvo does sound nice, but inside the car there is an awful amount of drone. The A45 is completly standard as well, so was suprised that it was that good. But both the Volvo and Merc were at 85db when sound checked to go on the track.

Newby

Thanks
    Car is still sitting around after the last trackday back on winter tires till I know what wheel and tire setup I would like.

Took it for a little shake down as I dont like it sitting for too long. After a few pulls, it blew a pipe ... the oem pipe that goes from the intercooler to the turbo has finally gone. Still the original pipe and its finally gone at 165k miles now. I should of upgraded this obviously with upgrading the turbo so I will be looking at getting one of the below kits on

https://www.partsforvolvosonline.com...f1d0b8cc0ef86f

Hope get this all sorted soon for another trackday.

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonpiemagic View Post
    Car is still sitting around after the last trackday back on winter tires till I know what wheel and tire setup I would like.

Took it for a little shake down as I dont like it sitting for too long. After a few pulls, it blew a pipe ... the oem pipe that goes from the intercooler to the turbo has finally gone. Still the original pipe and its finally gone at 165k miles now. I should of upgraded this obviously with upgrading the turbo so I will be looking at getting one of the below kits on

https://www.partsforvolvosonline.com...f1d0b8cc0ef86f

Hope get this all sorted soon for another trackday.
    Nice kit that, I have used all do88 silicone on the Gul's induction and turbo piping, good quality stuff which easily will handle higher boost pressures and in black has allowed me to keep the Oem factory look under the hood, it did mean I had to buy 2 throttle body hoses, as the kit comes with the one for the standard TB and Gul is now running a 3" 960 item. Good luck with the next track day and keep us posted on how you get on.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MoleT-5R For This Useful Post:

Moonpiemagic (Monday 30th May 2022)

Newby

Thanks
    Starting to have a look at getting the car cooled before the next trackday, im certain I will have to go water meth route as I cannot replace my Bell intercooler with anything bigger without having to remove the crashbar.

I had a sebtrac 19 row oil cooler sitting in the garage, but very much struggling to find a suitable place to fit this without blocking airflow to the intercooler or rad. I dont want it to be hanging anywhere outside as I live the car to look as close to standard as possible really.

Name:  20220626_164128-min.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  149.3 KB

Got some new silicone pipes and an RS MK2 cross over to reposition the air intake cone away from the engine.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Moonpiemagic For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Monday 27th June 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 877 Posts
    Most oil coolers are mounted in front of the IC, as is mine.
    you can mount it almost anywhere as long as you can get a ducted cold air feed to it or bolt an electric fan to it, if you don't
    want it in front of the IC

Name:  IMG_2423.jpg
Size:  138.7 KB

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JT For This Useful Post:

Moonpiemagic (Tuesday 28th June 2022)

Newby

Thanks
    Thanks JT, sadly right behind that bumper is a massive crashbar which occupies all the space. Below it is the intercooler and if I put the oil cooler infront of that, it will take up 50% of the space, above the crashbar will block the radiator, so im a bit at a loss.

There isnt much space at all in the Volvo P1's so im considering moving the battery to the boot and maybe having it positioned where the battery is and as you said, route some air towards it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Moonpiemagic For This Useful Post:

JT (Tuesday 28th June 2022)

Newby

Thanks
    Bit of an odd update on the car.

Decided to go for the same semi slicks again as there was still a deal on their website, so got 4 semi slicks for about £280 delivered. I went for the Accelera 651 Sport XTRA again as for grip I just couldnt fault them as they were brilliant, it was just the longevity. I am new to tires and trackdays and I think the tires were running at around 32 psi at the start before getting on track and I have been told I need to run these a lot lower around 22 - 24psi. So im going to start playing around with the psi's next trackday and see how I get on with that.

The other thing thats happened recently is someone has cloned the plates of my car and is happily drying around london aquiring tickets which are all coming to my address which is lovely.

So for those that unfortunetly ever run into this issue, here is how I dealt with it.

- File a case with the local police right away
    - SORN the vehicle so it pops up on the ANPR for the cops to catch
    - File a case with the DVLA and request the current plate is removed from the car so that any tickets going forwards do not come to you. The DVLA will then issue you a new plate for the car of that year.
    - Then also represent all the tickets right away, with the police case once that has been opened.

I then also raised the alert with the police in that area of the incident so that it is on their system.

All in all, a massive head ache but hopefully all sorted soon and I might be able to get that car back on the road with new plates.

One thing that has helped very much is running security camera's on my cars as I was able to provide evidence right away that my car was actually on the drive at the time on the incident.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Moonpiemagic For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Thursday 21st July 2022)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Sorry to here you've been cloned, but thanks for the excellent advice on how to deal with it. Tyre pressures are going to make a massive difference to your tyre wear and grip, as some of us no just from racing a 1/4 mile let alone out on track, good luck with the next track day and I look forward to hearing how you and the tyre's got on.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MoleT-5R For This Useful Post:

Moonpiemagic (Thursday 21st July 2022)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    My sister had something very similar happen with the plate cloning last year, got a ticket and summons in the post for a place she'd never been and 2am... 80mph in a 40mph limit

She was in bed, two grown children at home (both over 18) who could make a statement, filed a police report for cloned plate and wrote a letter covering this returning the summons, also sending a picture of her car with the plate and also herself so the speed camera footage could be looked at.

She didn't do the SORN part with reregistering. Hope they caught the total scrote, same for your one!

No more trouble but they put her plate on pull over for checks notice if not in her region.

Interesting thing is that she'd bought the car new from a Ford main dealer, pre-registered demo car, somone else likely did a search and got the reg there.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to kmb For This Useful Post:

Moonpiemagic (Monday 1st August 2022)

Newby

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kmb View Post
    My sister had something very similar happen with the plate cloning last year, got a ticket and summons in the post for a place she'd never been and 2am... 80mph in a 40mph limit

She was in bed, two grown children at home (both over 18) who could make a statement, filed a police report for cloned plate and wrote a letter covering this returning the summons, also sending a picture of her car with the plate and also herself so the speed camera footage could be looked at.

She didn't do the SORN part with reregistering. Hope they caught the total scrote, same for your one!

No more trouble but they put her plate on pull over for checks notice if not in her region.

Interesting thing is that she'd bought the car new from a Ford main dealer, pre-registered demo car, somone else likely did a search and got the reg there.

yeh that sounds very frustrating. I hope she managed to solve all the issues quickly.

Funily enough 2 or 3 days after I SORN the car I have not received a single letter now so I think this has now been resolved and im hoping that the ANPR in a police car caught his plate and he was pulled over. My new V5 with private plate license has now come through as well with the plates, so that should be going back on the car today and getting it taxed and back on the road.

I have defenitly heard stores of garages sharing car details which then resulted in a theft, recently a garage not far from me in Bognor created spare keys for cars where were then later stolen ... They were caught and shut down I think now, I just know one of the guys that was caught up in this.

a lot of fraud going around.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Moonpiemagic For This Useful Post:

kmb (Sunday 14th August 2022)

Newby

Thanks
    Car's now back on the road with some new private plates which is good, nice to take it out for a spin after a while as well.

After doing some check's it coughed a bit, but after warming up ticked over fine with no smoke which is great. The Oil looked a bit too dirty for my liking stuck the car on some stands and did an oil change. I accidentaly ordered double of everything from ECP so atleast I have all the bits for his next oil change as well

Had the new semi slicks sitting in the garage as well, so went straight to a tyre fitter and stuck those on right away and its just amazing to feel how much grip these things have.

Went straight onto the Goodwood site to look at booking the next trackday and its all fully booked for the year!!! so I guess im going to sit on the side line and see if some spaces appear or if then add in anymore new dates.

This weekend I will be changing the intake pipe to an RS MK2 intake and moving the cone further over so its pointing further away from the hot engine. I have taken the car out twice and it gets really really hot in the bay so I think I really need to be looking at something like a water meth cooling system.

Name:  20220806_113536-min.jpg
Size:  162.0 KBName:  20220806_113036-min.jpg
Size:  107.6 KB

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Moonpiemagic For This Useful Post:

kmb (Sunday 14th August 2022)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    I can vouch for the Accelera 651's just popped a set onto the Abarth and even though I have increased the profile height from 40 to 45, they handle lovely, although I have still to test them in the wet, but going by the reviews I don't think it will be a problem.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to MoleT-5R For This Useful Post:

Moonpiemagic (Wednesday 10th August 2022)

Newby

Thanks
    Took the car over the nurburgring over the weekend to do some time on the track and also to watch the racing over the weekend.

Went up on the Thursday and sadly it was raining but still decided to go on and boy was that a terrifying time. This track is extra extra slippy in the wet and with semi slicks, the car was everywhere constantly sliding out so I was a constant fight with the wheel to keep it on the black stuff. Second lap I felt a bit more confident and went way to fast sending me over those massive curbs and across the grass missing the barrier with a couple inches to spare which was very lucky ... called an end to the day after that.

Went back on track on the monday after the racing and what an incredible day in the dry. So many brilliant cars.

The Volvo did brilliantly, the semi slicks were great as well and holding the road nicely. But the ring really brings out the weakness in the car when it comes to weight and handling of the car.

To much roll and under the harsh compressions from the different elevations, there was scraping with the tire and wheel well. Trying to keep up with some of the Porshes and BMW's I could see how flat they were taking the turns and how much controll they had in the corners .. which is where mine lacked a lot of. I would slide further wide and there is just way too much body roll and the damping is just way too soft, not sure if I need to start looking at camber options for the car.

Brilliant day though, no issues appart from an oil level light on the way back. Car boosted up to 165mph without issues no sweat but didnt seem to want to go any faster ... but I dont know if its the tires or something ... the car just didnt feel smooth at that high speed.

So the things on the list now are:

- New coilovers. Looking at either KW or BC as my Bilesteins are just not upto the job at all.
    - Adjustable camber arms
    - Different front discs and probably a higher spec brake fluid
    - gutting the car to reduce the weight
    - removing the fog lights and piping some of that air at the front to the brake calipers

Got a few photos and also a video on my instagram thing. I hope the below link works, sadly it wasnt a long video as the camera ran out of battery.

https://www.instagram.com/volvo.s40t5/reels/

Name:  racetracker_19007015_296466(1).jpg
Size:  116.0 KB

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Moonpiemagic For This Useful Post:

JT (Saturday 17th September 2022)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Took the car over the nurburgring over the weekend to do some time on the track and also to watch the racing over the weekend.

Went up on the Thursday and sadly it was raining but still decided to go on and boy was that a terrifying time. This track is extra extra slippy in the wet and with semi slicks, the car was everywhere constantly sliding out so I was a constant fight with the wheel to keep it on the black stuff. Second lap I felt a bit more confident and went way to fast sending me over those massive curbs and across the grass missing the barrier with a couple inches to spare which was very lucky ... called an end to the day after that.

Went back on track on the monday after the racing and what an incredible day in the dry. So many brilliant cars.

The Volvo did brilliantly, the semi slicks were great as well and holding the road nicely. But the ring really brings out the weakness in the car when it comes to weight and handling of the car.

To much roll and under the harsh compressions from the different elevations, there was scraping with the tire and wheel well. Trying to keep up with some of the Porshes and BMW's I could see how flat they were taking the turns and how much controll they had in the corners .. which is where mine lacked a lot of. I would slide further wide and there is just way too much body roll and the damping is just way too soft, not sure if I need to start looking at camber options for the car.

Brilliant day though, no issues appart from an oil level light on the way back. Car boosted up to 165mph without issues no sweat but didnt seem to want to go any faster ... but I dont know if its the tires or something ... the car just didnt feel smooth at that high speed.

So the things on the list now are:

- New coilovers. Looking at either KW or BC as my Bilesteins are just not upto the job at all.
    - Adjustable camber arms
    - Different front discs and probably a higher spec brake fluid
    - gutting the car to reduce the weight
    - removing the fog lights and piping some of that air at the front to the brake calipers

Got a few photos and also a video on my instagram thing. I hope the below link works, sadly it wasnt a long video as the camera ran out of battery.

https://www.instagram.com/volvo.s40t5/reels/

Name:  racetracker_19007015_296466(1).jpg
Size:  116.0 KB
    Good to see you had a great time your list of further mods are good, I would add that fully corner weighting the car is a must to get the best out of a new coilover setup, but I'm sure you know that.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to MoleT-5R For This Useful Post:

Moonpiemagic (Friday 16th September 2022)

Newby

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    Good to see you had a great time your list of further mods are good, I would add that fully corner weighting the car is a must to get the best out of a new coilover setup, but I'm sure you know that.
    Thanks! yes actually I had no idea what fully corner weighting is? I will have a dig around but if you have any sites or somewhere that would point me in the right direction, that would be brilliant.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 877 Posts
    Great fun at the ring! you were lucky to miss the barrier and not get a bill from the circuit!

One of the best yet simple upgrades I made on my 850 was solid subframe bushes and up rated drop links.
    Made the front of the car much more positive.
    Not sure how the front of your car is put together, so maybe it wouldn't work as well, but just a thought.

Corner weighting is a must after you get the coilovers on, makes a huge difference.

Camber can effect a few things, understeer, oversteer etc etc
    But if you use your car on the road, I would assume you would get uneven tyre wear?

If you want, I could get you a photo of my rear tyres, to show the effect?

33. The Following User Says Thank You to JT For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Saturday 17th September 2022)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanks! yes actually I had no idea what fully corner weighting is? I will have a dig around but if you have any sites or somewhere that would point me in the right direction, that would be brilliant.
    Corner weighting is balancing out the weight distribution of the car to ground by adjusting the springs on the coil overs (in your case) to ideally carry even amounts of weight from side to side and set up to what you want, for front to rear balance, as above camber will also make a big difference as to will solid mountings if your s40 is similar to our 850's. Tim Williams was running some massive amount of negative camber on the rear of his 850 last time I met him at Shakey.

Newby

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    One of the best yet simple upgrades I made on my 850 was solid subframe bushes and up rated drop links.
    Made the front of the car much more positive.
    Not sure how the front of your car is put together, so maybe it wouldn't work as well, but just a thought.
    Ive had my car fully polybushed, is that the same thing? it has stiffened up the car a lot which was much nicer for track.

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    Corner weighting is a must after you get the coilovers on, makes a huge difference.
    Yes I already have some B14 Bilstein coilovers on but they do not have adjustable dampers only the hight, but they are just way way way to soft for the track. The car was bouncing and leaning everywhere and I feel that weight transfer on the body roll into the corners made me lose grip as I watched cars infront of me stay flat.

Yeh I guess if im playing with camber there will be uneven wear but the car is used more for track now than road so I think im actually going to go full into this and build this into a track car rather than a fast road car.

Thread Information