Join Today
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Newby

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    Corner weighting is balancing out the weight distribution of the car to ground by adjusting the springs on the coil overs (in your case) to ideally carry even amounts of weight from side to side and set up to what you want, for front to rear balance, as above camber will also make a big difference as to will solid mountings if your s40 is similar to our 850's. Tim Williams was running some massive amount of negative camber on the rear of his 850 last time I met him at Shakey.
    ah right that make sense. Defenitly need to swap out my current coilovers as the only have a height adjustable setting and thats it (Bilstein B14s)

what solid mountings would you use? Im actually thinking of removing the rear seats and gutting the car out to lose weight, so im guessing this weighting might be an good idea after that as the rear is going to be very light. I think at the moment the weighting isnt balance as the rear of the car does slide out a lot and it is a fwd car.

Newby

Thanks
    Car is still here but just sitting around for a couple of months so far and hopefully get it ready to go back out again for more tracks this year.

Just recently signed onto the Grand Torque event on 17ths Sept 2023 if anyone else is doing this as well? will be doing the 1/2 mile run, be interesting to see how the car does.

Decided to acquire another Volvo to do the day to day things, went for a lovely 2016 XC60 T6 Polestar. Never really thought much about the XC60 as ive always had my eyes on V70's but very very happy with it so far.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CleYldPoEAt/

Also got a day at the Prescott hill climb lined up in April, will be interesting to see how the car does there. have done it once before but will be interesting to see how it handles now with that extra power.

This is the video of my old run up Prescott

This user has no status

Thanks
    T6 are total weapons. I'm sure you'll not be disappointed. My parents had a polestar'd XC60 and it quickly made me want something with that engine....
    Last edited by Timo.; Tuesday 17th January 2023 at 09:03.
    62' V60 D3 R Design
    62' V60 T6 AWD R Design polestar'd

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Timo. For This Useful Post:

Moonpiemagic (Tuesday 17th January 2023)

Newby

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo. View Post
    T6 are total weapons. I'm sure you'll not be disappointed. My parents had a polestar'd XC60 and it quickly made me want something with that engine....
    Yeh nice one! yup very impressed with the XC60 so far!

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonpiemagic View Post
    Also got a day at the Prescott hill climb lined up in April, will be interesting to see how the car does there. have done it once before but will be interesting to see how it handles now with that extra power.

I was lucky enough to have 5 runs up Presscott at a Retro Rides meet there a few years back, absolutely loved it and like you I'd like to do it again some day, as a lot has changed on Olive since then (gearing, diff and more power etc). I have also started to use those Accelera 651's on my daily Abarth 595 and I must say I'm very impressed with them so far, wet or dry the grip is excellent, I liked them that much I bought a spare set which will probably wind up on the T-5R.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MoleT-5R For This Useful Post:

Moonpiemagic (Wednesday 18th January 2023)

Newby

Thanks
    I was lucky enough to have 5 runs up Presscott at a Retro Rides meet there a few years back, absolutely loved it and like you I'd like to do it again some day, as a lot has changed on Olive since then (gearing, diff and more power etc). I have also started to use those Accelera 651's on my daily Abarth 595 and I must say I'm very impressed with them so far, wet or dry the grip is excellent, I liked them that much I bought a spare set which will probably wind up on the T-5R.

ooooo nice yeh, its a fun hill climb ... leaning more to the scary part towards the end there where the fence disappears and the hill just drops away, so if you come off, you are in trouble. Should definitely give it another run and see how different the car is!

Im quite interested to see how mine feels this time around.

Yeh thats good they work well for you! I have a bit of a love hate for Accelera 651's. Very happy with the amount of grip in the dry, it was incredible, couldnt praise this enough, cured my understeer and also got rid of wheel spin out of the corners (Which I had previously with the PS4s)

... but my fronts only lasted half a day at goodwood.

I did actually get a fresh set for the trip to the ring last year and the drive there was fine going through wet and dry conditions (But just normal driving on back roads and motorway), but it then rained on the track and I had next to no grip, it was like driving on ice. Every second on the track was spent fighting with a different corner of the car slipping, it was so exhausting I needed a nap after

But for the performance in the dry, im sticking with them again this year!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Moonpiemagic For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Thursday 19th January 2023)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonpiemagic View Post
    ooooo nice yeh, its a fun hill climb ... leaning more to the scary part towards the end there where the fence disappears and the hill just drops away, so if you come off, you are in trouble.

I did actually get a fresh set for the trip to the ring last year and the drive there was fine going through wet and dry conditions (But just normal driving on back roads and motorway), but it then rained on the track and I had next to no grip, it was like driving on ice. Every second on the track was spent fighting with a different corner of the car slipping
    Love that unsighted top corner, I don't think an error there would be as bad as you'd imagine, I took it easy there first run (as you do), second run I gave it some beans and the Marshall by that corner was clapping me as I passed on each of the next four runs....lol

As for feeling like driving on ice, I'm currently on ice and snow with the 651's, getting on ok, but nothing like having proper winters on each corner

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

Newby

Thanks
    Love that unsighted top corner, I don't think an error there would be as bad as you'd imagine, I took it easy there first run (as you do), second run I gave it some beans and the Marshall by that corner was clapping me as I passed on each of the next four runs....lol
    haha brilliant, very brave ... personally terrified of that blind corner

As for feeling like driving on ice, I'm currently on ice and snow with the 651's, getting on ok, but nothing like having proper winters on each corner
    Wow thats pretty dam good! I will be ordering a fresh set soon.

Newby

Thanks
    So having a look at coilovers, think im going to go for the BC Coilovers.

Still not sure about which one, good to know if anyone has any experience in these?

I think im swayed towards the BC RM series? Hoping these should be much more firmer for track than my current coilovers.

I can see there is a BR Series (Looks likes like a daily use coilover) and then an ER series (Which looks more like your hardcore race series coilover?)

Newby

Thanks
    Been a while since last update, car is mainly kept off road now as have an XC60 T6 now to do the daily grunt work as needed a bigger car. XC60 T6 has been brilliant so far, had it over half a year now and love it.

Got the Volvo MOT'd recently to get it ready for a hillclimb at the Prescott Bugatti owners club and then also a track day at Goodwood.

Installed some new BC RM coilovers to see if I can start fiddling around with damping and also camber adjustment this year ready for the ring trip again.

Car did well at both Prescott hillclimb and Goodwood, coils and car setup needs a lot of work and archs might have to be rolled as getting way too much rub.

Video of an outing at Goodwood (Really should record more) but just having way too much fun driving, I keep forgetting to turn the thing on.

Forgot to add that I also ran out of brakes and pad warning light came on. The part in the video where I was playing around with the indicator stalk was me trying to turn all the alerts of mid corner ... which probably wasn't the best idea.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moonpiemagic For This Useful Post:

JT (Saturday 15th April 2023),kmb (Sunday 30th April 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 877 Posts
    looking good!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JT For This Useful Post:

Moonpiemagic (Monday 17th April 2023)

Newby

Thanks
    Took the S40 T5 around the Nurbergring in Germany again and did even better with new BC coilovers and some arch cutting.

No rub at all, the car was fantastic, only a couple of issues. Sudden drop of oil on the way up through france and after a topup it never happened again, so not sure what that was about. Then on the second outing on the Ring, one of the pipes from the intercooler went lose and the pipe came off causing complete lose of turbo. found a new clamp and sealed that up to mange 3 laps after with no issues.

Car was very very able and loved it in the corners now.

Need to get this car a lot lower now and the camber setup properly and should see a lot better grip in the corners to take them even faster. Need to widen the stance of the car as well I think and will probably have to go down the route of flaring the arches a touch.

Video below chasing a nice new M3 estate:

I have some photos on my car insta page: https://www.instagram.com/volvo.s40t5/

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Moonpiemagic For This Useful Post:

kmb (Wednesday 13th September 2023)

Thread Information