Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newby

Thanks
    Hi guys, car is in th garage getting more bits done but opening up a question to anyone with track experience or experience with setting up a track car?

I have no idea on this but general what is best for handling when setting up a car for a track for grip? im looking at adjustable camber arms and want to be able to set the car up just for track but have no idea where to start really. The rear of the car lets loose quite easily, but I think that might be more me with letting off the accelerator, but the rear antiroll is set to the firmest setting which maybe I should reduce?

What tires should I be running for track days as well, im currently on PS4's but looking to get a set of wheels just for track.

Open to any recommendations etc as well.

Thanks

Newby

Thanks
    8 Pot Ksports are now finally on the car, they should defenitly help with being able to stop it now.

20210806_155326 by Dom Hartland, on Flickr

20210806_155306 by Dom Hartland, on Flickr

20210806_155318 by Dom Hartland, on Flickr

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Moonpiemagic For This Useful Post:

kmb (Monday 9th August 2021)

Newby

Thanks
    Right so had the hybrid has been refurbished by AET up north which is getting fitted on the car at the moment. Car will then get mapped after thats on, so it will be good to see what its really running.

Name:  20210824_075505.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  129.9 KBName:  20210824_075505.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  129.9 KB

So turns out the Airtec stage 4 kit (Intercooler and boost pipe) doesnt fit the car, and also struggling with space to fit the external setrab oil cooler. cannot find a place at the front for it really, so going to need to rethink where this is going to go, as I do want it on the car.

The current bell intercooler is the biggest off the shelf unit you can buy for these cars, which is still quite small for the power its running. Going to have to start looking at water meth I think.

Also just having a new TCV popped on at he current one was failing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Moonpiemagic For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Thursday 26th August 2021)

Newby

Thanks
    Right so turbo went on and got a question for anyone that might be able to help as I have run into a few problems.

On the standard K16 the car was running fine on 405bhp, as soon as the K16 hybrid went on the power output was 320bhp

The mapper said the wastegate pressure wont increase about 30%, it just flats out.

Couple other guys, helping me with the build mentioned: Crack in the manifold where the wastegate flap sits as a crack around it wouldnt let it build boost.. also be worth checking the wastegate is setup properly as it maybe too loose to hold and boost.. sure psl would know what preload it needs.. just wants a vac pump to set it up.

Just wondering if anyone else has experience or knows anything on the above. Boost solenoid has been changed as well, this didnt fix the issue.

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,761 Posts
    That's a big drop in power for what should be an upgrade that should develope more power, does sound like the wastegate isn't shut properly, as you said It is probably best to check it and set it up with a vac pump, rule of thumb is the hole in the actuator rod should sit half way across the wastegate peg so the actuator needs to be compressed to slip the rod onto the peg, then you can check it with a vac pump. Also you can then add a half turn or more if required to the rod to get exactly the target pressure you require. Hope that helps and good luck.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MoleT-5R For This Useful Post:

Moonpiemagic (Friday 27th August 2021)

Newby

Thanks
    right so .... mostly bad news and maybe some good news? I have no idea really.

Managed to find the leak from the turbo with a smoke test and seal that, but there were still some major issues. The turbo is just spitting out oil really, just putting it down to a poor refurb job by AET. So anyway the K16 hybrid has been pulled from the car and the standard K16 has been popped back on again. I think this is the end of the road for power wise, maybe in the future I might try another route ... be thats it for now really.

Anyway swapping the oem boost solenoid with an electrical one as well which should be nice.

Car should be done this week finally ready to visit the tracks again.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Moonpiemagic For This Useful Post:

kmb (Tuesday 7th September 2021)

Newby

Thanks
    As projects go they always need work.

Anyway the car map was finished on the standard K16 and ran a healthy 407bhp, the turbo still has room but the heat in the engine bay is a massive problem.

So the only route is water meth as I currently have the biggest intercooler you can fit off the shelf before having to go custom.

Also now correcting the airflow from the intake to the turbo as there is a size difference from the intake cone to the maf, and then a different size from the maf to the intake pipe which will be reducing air intake.

Also found that my custom exhaust from flux fabrications that I have had about 1 year and a half now or nearly 2 of not much use has completly split the center box. Pretty unimpressed by it really, looked good but defenitly did not last long at all.

Driveshafts at the moment look a bit worn, but they are still the oem driveshafts on the car and the mileage is 157k now which is pretty good.

getting some bonnett vents on there to let some hot air escape as well as replacing the fogs with some piping to channel air flow to where it needs to go.

So still a bit of a list to get on with at the moment.

Thread Information