Join Today
    buy volvo, cut muffler off,
    send it

Thanks

Wiper issues 1997 940 2.3LPT

Hi all, you might have caught my last build thread with the green S60 or maybe not, but treated myself to a 940 a couple of months ago with a view to doing a bit of drifting.

I'll cut to the chase, the horn, among other things, was not working on the 940 when I bought it. It was making noises, but both the high and low modules were just making coughing noises when the button was pressed. Rather than replace them with something normal, I had a tritone airhorn kit lying around that my brother bought for his daily and never fitted. Either way, after much head-scratching, it is now fitted, and works with the old horn button.

My problem is this; there are two yellow wires, and two blue, a mixed pair of which were going to each horn on the bumper. I pulled them all, tapped into one of the blue for my relay to the air compressor for the horn, and have left the others. I have just realised that the wipers must be somehow on the same loop, because they now aren't working.

It isn't the stalk or a problem inside the column, as the rear wiper and washer, controlled by the same stalk, works fine. I think the issue lies in what I have left unplugged down at the bumper.

What I want to know is how I can get the wipers to work again.

Tl;dr, I have two yellow wires and two blue from the old horn, one of the blues goes to my new switch for new horn, and the others are dangling. My wipers now dont work. Someone pls help

Have included a wiring diagram I think is relevant in this post

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    The horn and the wipers are on the same fuse circuit looking at those diagrams.

Silly question maybe but I take it you checked the fuse? (number 15). As the yellow is the live to the horn and the blue is the switched earth via the steering wheel (only needs one wire to go through the squib)

Also 940 wiring diagrams:
    http://myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_file...ction-3-39.pdf
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

ProjectLolvo (Monday 10th August 2020)

buy volvo, cut muffler off,
    send it

Thanks
    Yo thanks for getting back to me so quick, yeah first thing was check the fuse and it was fine, but I've pretty much fixed it either way here.

Bit of a long workaround, but I took another wire straight from + of battery to the yellows, which I grouped together, then bunched with the wire. Taped it off, and hey presto, wipers work again together with new horn. Just pretty much gone the longest route possible for wiring my new horn into the car, because I'm an idiot and it's taken me f*****g days to learn.

Cheers for your help

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    We all have to learn somehow bud

Maybe disturbing the wiring caused a break somewhere, especially with the age of the car.
    Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Monday 10th August 2020 at 20:29.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Thread Information