Join Today

Thread: Locking Issues

This user has no status
    Thanks

Locking Issues

2002 V70 T5

I've looked through various threads about central locking on here. Sounds like it might not be the most dependable system in the world?
    Anyway, the issue with mine is that it keeps re-locking it's self after I've unlocked it.

I've had cars in the past that would re-lock themselves if they had been unlocked and left untouched. Makes sense. But the Volvo will re-lock it's self unless I turn the key in the ignition.
    No matter which doors I open. In fact, it even re-locks it's self with all the doors wide open unless I turn the key in the ignition. So far this has only presented a minor irritation, but the day is coming that I or my better half will lock the key in the car. We all know it is.

So, any ideas? Can the system be somehow reset? Could there be a faulty switch / sensor somewhere that I don't know about? The interior light comes on/off as expected, so I assume all the door switches work, although I can't say that I've actually tested these.

Any help appreciated.

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Found the same issue here:
    https://www.volvo-forums.com/t37010-...ing-itself.htm

Seems like it was a sticking fob "lock" button. Maybe worth taking the circuit board out of the fob and operating it without the fob shell to see if it still does it. After that maybe remove the battery and operate the door locks with the key to totally rule out the fob (easy stuff first).

Then maybe the door lock button inside the car by the window switches (as they can get quite cruddy)?
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Nice one.

I'll try cleaning them all up.

Thanks

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Nope, it still does it. Locks it's self even with doors open. It also sets the alarm. Sometimes it happens without me ever having locked it. For example, I drive it home, and it locks it's self while I'm unloading shopping or whatever. Boot open, doors open. Then the alarm goes off the next time I stick my head inside the car...

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    The alarm is a Thatcham approved unit, so it will always arm the alarm when it locks with key or the remote.

I would plug in VIDA or a diagnostics that can communicate with the Alarm control module. This would give you some idea as to what is at fault as there will almost certainly be a fault code or ten!

Top tip: If multiple codes are present across multiple modules, then clear faults first, then rescan after a short drive cycle (couple of mile). Then relock the car and unlock it and then scan.
    It could be a short circuit in one of the door locks, hence it locks and rearms the alarm.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Wednesday 22nd July 2020)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Fixed it.

Just posting for the record in case anyone reads this in the future.

Someone had, before my ownership, mucked about with the wiring in the driver's door, shorting two wires together. I rectified this, and the locking went dead. Could lock/unlock the driver's door with the key, but nothing else.
    Assumed it had been butchered rather than replacing a dodgy lock assembly.
    Got a second hand one, swapped it, all's well.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveyP For This Useful Post:

kmb (Friday 23rd July 2021),LeeT5 (Tuesday 3rd August 2021)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyP View Post
    Fixed it.

Just posting for the record in case anyone reads this in the future.

Someone had, before my ownership, mucked about with the wiring in the driver's door, shorting two wires together. I rectified this, and the locking went dead. Could lock/unlock the driver's door with the key, but nothing else.
    Assumed it had been butchered rather than replacing a dodgy lock assembly.
    Got a second hand one, swapped it, all's well.
    Well done there and thanks for posting the solution, nothing worst than something that just doesn't work as it should.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

Thread Information