Join Today
    SpongeBob Foamypants
    Back in a V70 and happy!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,272 Posts

Bracing myself for a large bill.

My V70 D5 185 is at my local Volvo Indy for the MOT etc. She needs at least 4 new tyres, but more worryingly is a possible turbo issue, DPF issue and the brakes.

She has been using 1 litre of oil every 500 mile for a while, and intermittent 'soot filter full'.

Anyway, get her sorted, pile the miles on for my job and she will pay for herself.......is my thinking.
    Last edited by foammanmark; Tuesday 23rd June 2020 at 21:14.

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Fingers crossed for it mate.

That's the problem with these bloody DPFs. My mates XC60 D5 had an issue where DPF needed regenerating even though the garage had checked it and it was fine and only 70k miles. In the end his local Volvo indy reset the ecu so that it thought it was a new DPF and it's been fine since.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

foammanmark (Wednesday 24th June 2020)

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Thanks!!

The litre of oil is vanishing somewhere and at the moment I don't know where it's going.

Then it's in limp more than out of it cos of the soot filter issue. Then occasionally she drives great and seems very quick. I overtake people, and then she goes into limp so they pass me as I struggle along......lol.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Had this with my V50 d5 earlier this year... Drank fuel, drank oil and soot filter full constantly... After many forced regen, including removing the DPF and cleaning it with proper stuff, still the same. Off loaded it in the end..... Never tried to reset to make it think it had a new DPF!!

Replaced the DPF sensors and pipes as well.

Replaced it with a V60 D3 and never looked back.....
    62' V60 D3 R Design
    62' V60 T6 AWD R Design polestar'd

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo. View Post
    Had this with my V50 d5 earlier this year... Drank fuel, drank oil and soot filter full constantly... After many forced regen, including removing the DPF and cleaning it with proper stuff, still the same. Off loaded it in the end..... Never tried to reset to make it think it had a new DPF!!

Oh dear, I have all of those symptoms with the mpg also being 36-37 at a push for a 6 speed manual, and driving economically too!!

Anyway, the garage have had the car for 4 days now, so I may as well see what they come back with. I only got the car Oct'19, so I don't want to throw the towel in just yet.

Glad that you're sorted with the V60!!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Mine smoked white/grey smoke after sitting idling at traffic lights and then setting off. Sometimes James Bond style... It stank, wasn't oil, wasn't water, pretty sure the DPF was regen itself constantly hence the high fuel consumption. It always used oil throughout the time I had. I wouldn't say to a worrying level but when others d5 cars use none it wasn't necessarily normal.

My next move was a new dpf. Perhaps check egr values and check for blockages....

You can get non genuine dpfs for not a lot of money these days.
    62' V60 D3 R Design

This user has no status

Thanks
    My V50 was never brilliant on fuel, low 40s was the norm. That's 56 mile motorway round trip to work with cruise set at 70mph. When it's problems started it plummeted to 35 no matter what. Was starting to cost me money. My D3 does 50mpg. I reckon between fuel costs, insurance and road tax I save 100 quid a month compared to the d5 which pays more than half the loan I took out to buy it.
    62' V60 D3 R Design

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    My V50 was never brilliant on fuel, low 40s was the norm. That's 56 mile motorway round trip to work with cruise set at 70mph. When it's problems started it plummeted to 35 no matter what. Was starting to cost me money. My D3 does 50mpg. I reckon between fuel costs, insurance and road tax I save 100 quid a month compared to the d5 which pays more than half the loan I took out to buy it.
    I've been buying the Castrol Edge 0w30 A5/B5 oil and it's costing me 2p/mile in oil never mind the poor mpg as well. I seriously think that my C70 T5 costs me less to run.

Popped by the garage but it was lunch time and I was just told that they have done some of the jobs. She's also gone in for the aircon sorting and the intermittent anti skid.control service warning too.

Hope to get her back next week.

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts

Exactly what my mates XC60 was doing! I don't know exactly what the indy did with the ecu, something to do with VIDA and resetting something.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Mine smoked white/grey smoke after sitting idling at traffic lights and then setting off. Sometimes James Bond style... It stank, wasn't oil, wasn't water, pretty sure the DPF was regen itself constantly hence the high fuel consumption. It always used oil throughout the time I had. I wouldn't say to a worrying level but when others d5 cars use none it wasn't necessarily normal.

My next move was a new dpf. Perhaps check egr values and check for blockages....

You can get non genuine dpfs for not a lot of money these days.
    I have absolutely no smoke or anything noticeable from the exhaust.

Let you know how I go with her, if she gets sorted and what the fault/s were............

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    OK, the garage have had my car for 8 full days now and I still don't have her back. I can see that she has been MOT'd as that runs out 24/6/21, so that's great. However, I would like her back in the next few days but there was quite a list of jobs and they know that I have other cars so can do without one for a while.

Think I will put a call in to them tomorrow to find out the latest.

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Just spoken to the garage and the DPF was totally blocked. They sent it away to be professionally cleaned so that I have a genuine Volvo part as opposed to a cheaper after market part.

They've also found an oil leak but the guy on the phone wasn't sure where that was located.

I am so excited to be on the verge of getting her back and I feel like I'm getting a new car to be honest. Just the dreaded bill now but it is what it is...…………..

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Just catching up on this thread and glad your getting her sorted Mark, I'll stick with Gul as she's far simpler to fix should she have any issues, though I can't say the same for are XC90

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    Just catching up on this thread and glad your getting her sorted Mark, I'll stick with Gul as she's far simpler to fix should she have any issues, though I can't say the same for are XC90
    Hi Adrian, the bill was £731 but I have 4 new tyres, drop link and ball joint to get through the MOT, dipstick oil seal to cure one oil leak, aircon re-gas, DPF clean and other jobs too. I'm pretty happy to be honest.

Hope that Gul is going well and I wonder what her true mileage is...….

Thread Information