Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Does 1992 940 have an immobiliser?

Our treasure kept stopping but then started straight away until it didn't. We checked fuel, non coming through. We've now changed both fuel pumps, replaced a few hoses while we were at it and two relays, one under the bonnet and white one behind ashtray, hoped we were ready to go but when we try to start it's trying to turn over but very slowly like the battery is flat. We can charge the battery but wondered if there is an immobiliser on this model? Manual doesn't mention one. We don't have a key fob just a key. Any thoughts please?

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Have you checked voltages at the relays?

Anyway, your car may have the Volvo Guard Alarm 1 system (you can tell if there is a triangular box on the A pillar. See this link for more detail and troubleshooting (I know it is for an 850 but my 1994 940 had the guard alarm 1)

http://www.volvotips.com/index.php/8...ervice-manual/
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

MrT940 (Sunday 23rd February 2020)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thank you for the link. I don't have the triangular bit on the A frame but we are back up and running. Might give Volvo dealer a call and see if they know anything about the alarm system and if there is a key fob available. I reckon if they do one, which is probably expensive, I can get one elsewhere cheaper - it's not essential but would be handy.

New Identity
    Thanks
    Ah all good then. What was it in the end?
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.

This user has no status

Thanks

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
    Ah all good then. What was it in the end?
    WE may never know. When it stopped I checked to see if any fuel getting through and because there wasn't, assumed fuel pump and from there it escalated as I found out more about the car. One fuel pump led to 2 and because I suspect they are both 28 years old, replaced both. Then learn't about the relays - one black, one white - so replaced them. As advised, I think by Dangerous Dave on his tales of fixing up, I disconnected the wires to get the intank pump out and might, just might, have fogotten to plug the fuel gauge back in. So all is now plugged in and she runs great. At some stage I'll work out why the engine management light is on. It wasn't on when we got it in August 2019 but has been on for some time before as the previous owners stuck a tape over the light on the dash - one way to sort it I suppose lol. I read it was possibly something to do with the lambda but that's for another day. Am so glad I found this forum and so many helpful people on here and a couple of smashing blokes at what was described to me as a volvo graveyard down Cambridge way - very knowledgeable people. Big thanks to everyone.

This user has no status

Thanks
    In case anyone else has a car from 1992 - I rang the dealership who checked back records and the 1992 940 has no immobiliser and no key fob.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Since my last post end of Feb, car has been running smooth as anything, until today. She won't start. Once again it looks like fuel not getting through Considering ordering new relays. I got 2 from scrap yard last time and can't remember if they were 2nd hand or new so 2 new if I can find them.

Any thoughts\suggestions welcome.

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Hope the new relays sort it, keep us posted!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Sadly new relay has not helped.
    There is no power to the petrol pumps.
    We've fitted a new fuel pump relay.
    There is power to the relay.
    We tried bypassing the radio suppressor - no difference.
    We bypassed the fuel pump relay and fuel came up but still would not run.
    It's turning over and not catching.
    We are wondering if the previous owner fitted an immobiliser. There is a flashing light on the dash that goes out when we turn the ignition on. Another red light, which we've never seen lit up and no idea what it does.
    Any suggestions or ideas welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

New Identity
    Thanks
    Seems possible that someone has fitted an alarm/immobiliser as both those lights are not standard.

It will probably be under the drivers dash. You could take the panel off and trace the wiring from the lights to a box then remove the box. The box will have a relay that interferes with the fuel pump signal/power, the factory circuit will probably have been cut so you should be able to patch it back together to remove the aftermarket alarm.

Put up some pics of the under dash if you want.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

MrT940 (Saturday 13th June 2020)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks Dave - immobiliser found - yeh!
    However, the problem turned out to be 2 loose connections to the relay - we now have 3 relays that are probably all good lol.
    Previous work on the wiring looks dodgy to say the least and the immobiliser wasn't fixed to anything, just sat wobbling around.
    But we are up and running and back on the road - whoo hoo

This user has no status

Thanks

Unhappy

Went digging since everything was exposed to see what we could find - 2 black boxes. As the smaller one goes to the blinking light, am assuming (what's that, never assume) the second black box goes to the other red light - that we have never seen on.

Hope this is useful information for some other owner sometime.

New Identity
    Thanks
    Brilliant!

Automotive archaeology at it's best That lot looks really dodgy.

Glad you're back up and running

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Ace news indeed. Glad you've got to the bottom of the issue!

Thread Information