Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

S60R Tyre recommendations

Hi everyone,

last time I asked this question (5 years ago or more), the verdict was Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta, these have been excellent tyres, I need 4 more now but they're no longer available!

what is the recommended tyre nowadays (18 inch wheels on mine)?

thanks in advance as always,
    nick0

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Any tips guys?

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    I can't help here sorry, as I buy as cheap as possible now for where I live, as many of my expensive tyres have been killed either by potholes or the majority by pulling over to let others pass in narrow lanes and tearing sidewalls on rocks sticking out of the banks. Only time I spend a bit more now is track tyres for the T-5R's (R888's) or all season tyres on the XC90 (General GT's). I'll try to remember tomorrow to ask my local tyre supplier, as they have been Vredestein dealers for over 20 years and should know wht is the current replacement of that particular tyre.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    I can't help here sorry, as I buy as cheap as possible now for where I live, as many of my expensive tyres have been killed either by potholes or the majority by pulling over to let others pass in narrow lanes and tearing sidewalls on rocks sticking out of the banks. Only time I spend a bit more now is track tyres for the T-5R's (R888's) or all season tyres on the XC90 (General GT's). I'll try to remember tomorrow to ask my local tyre supplier, as they have been Vredestein dealers for over 20 years and should know wht is the current replacement of that particular tyre.
    Thanks Mole, the sessantas are discontinued now i would have bought more if i could. Be interesting to hear your further thoughts

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick0 View Post
    Thanks Mole, the sessantas are discontinued now i would have bought more if i could. Be interesting to hear your further thoughts
    Gave them a ring and they suggested Vredestein Satin or Vorti as replacements for the Sessanta's, available in 225 & 235 40 18's, which should be correct for the S60R, only downfall is they mentioned that they are on back order at present, hope that this helps and good luck on choosing your replacements, I hate it when you get used to a tyre and then they stop doing them, I had this with my favourite budget tyre a while back.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    Gave them a ring and they suggested Vredestein Satin or Vorti as replacements for the Sessanta's, available in 225 & 235 40 18's, which should be correct for the S60R, only downfall is they mentioned that they are on back order at present, hope that this helps and good luck on choosing your replacements, I hate it when you get used to a tyre and then they stop doing them, I had this with my favourite budget tyre a while back.
    Thank you sir

old Volvos never die
    Thanks
    I'm gonna buy the new pzero, pz4 for the VR.
    Dunlops RT are well priced where I live and are great IMHO. HAd them 3 times
    Michelin PS4 are very good but expensive.
    Conti premium 6 are excellent allrounders that I have in my b5 rs4 (beware it isn't a sports tyre but can deal with fast road stuff ESPECIALLY in the wet)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    I've had Sessanta's in the past but they are not as good as Dunlop Sport Maxx RT's. The sidewall is lovely and smooth for adding tyre gel and the tread pattern is superb. They are also grippier in the dry.

During winter months I run Vredestein Giugiaro Design Wintrac Xtreme 235/40/18 @ 35psi and they are fantastic.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks chaps. I did a bit of research, there's only one tyre that's A rated for fuel economy and performance in the wet, the Pirelli P7 Cinturato blue, will check out your tips though thank you

old Volvos never die
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick0 View Post
    Thanks chaps. I did a bit of research, there's only one tyre that's A rated for fuel economy and performance in the wet, the Pirelli P7 Cinturato blue, will check out your tips though thank you
    I use those for driving training in BMWs. They're good... good for drifting
    Also had them in a Jag XE...very low grip on greasy roads.
    Also not a sports tyre at all in terms of body control nor steering feel.

Don't trust that much the ratings on the labels. These tests are perfomed in controlled conditions and only in straight line and without any lateral or vertical dynamics involved. And although they are good indicators of the rubber's performance, they fail to show "real world performance". I know bec I work with people that issue these EU tyre ratings.

Have you checked tyrereviews.co.uk? They have loads of info

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pepinosport View Post
    I use those for driving training in BMWs. They're good... good for drifting
    Also had them in a Jag XE...very low grip on greasy roads.
    Also not a sports tyre at all in terms of body control nor steering feel.

Don't trust that much the ratings on the labels. These tests are perfomed in controlled conditions and only in straight line and without any lateral or vertical dynamics involved. And although they are good indicators of the rubber's performance, they fail to show "real world performance". I know bec I work with people that issue these EU tyre ratings.

Have you checked tyrereviews.co.uk? They have loads of info
    Good shout thank you !

Appreciative
    Thanks
    I took a chance on some lower to middle ground tyres for the C30 and have been very pleasantly surprised. I've had Vredestein before and these are similar market placement...

They were nearly all I could get at the time, due to the less common 215 45 18 profile and short time span I had available, they're called Marshal MU12's.

I initially scoffed at the make but checked a number of reviews on the the predecessor MU11 and thought they were worth a try at about £95 fitted a corner... low expectations were met with low noise, good and very predictable grip in wet and dry, reasonable wear.

After 5k miles with them I would 100% buy again and I'm normally very picky with mid to premium tyres!

As an edit added note - They are Y rated, so good in excess of 186mph
    Last edited by kmb; Thursday 21st November 2019 at 13:55.

Dieseseled!

Thanks
    I used to run the S60R with PZero Nero's and was always happy with performance and life. I haven't bought them for a while, and I know that you have to shop around to get the best price.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thank you gents. I always had P zeros on my Saabs, no complaints

Thread Information