Join Today
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quick update, I've been stuck not doing much on the car since lockdown started (I'm still working a lot)

I snagged a beaut leather interior from a nearby mate (once the lockdown rules were relaxed, social distancing was maintained.) That's now in, and it totally transformed the car.

Name:  20200519_220417.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  1.01 MB
    Name:  20200519_220427.jpg
Size:  887.0 KB

It also reminded me how heavy the seats are, and so I'm already looking at replacing it all (down the line) with some decent lighter seats. 4 buckets if I can, then it'll be party in the front, party in the back.

While in lockdown, I've also been fiddling with the electric fan with the goal of binning off the viscous coupled fan. As my car is non-A/C, it makes it a slight pain to swap it in; the radiator is smaller and sits further back in the engine bay, and the e-fan is bloody thick and fouls on the studs and the radiator at the same time. Unfortunately I can't cut enough off the studs to make enough clearance; I want to keep about 25mm of clearance from the back of the fan to the pulley.
    I've done all the wiring for the two speed controls, power relay, etc, so it seems a shame to not use the fan I have already. So, it's getting shelved for the meantime until I swap my intercooler out for a better one. As that's going to be shifted forward anyway, I'll then have space to move the radiator, and then the fan will fit. I considered getting a slimline fan, but I've spent more than enough money on this now and I refuse to spend any more on it when I have more important needs.

I turned the boost up again (12psi ish) as that seems to be the sweet spot before the clutch starts slipping. It's still slow though, so an intercooler, clutch and TTV flywheel are probably my next go-fast bits on the list. I also picked up a 'junk' 530 head that will be a test bed for various brackets and porting practice, but it may also end up on the car as it seems alright, just a couple of broken or missing studs. Will chuck some photos up of it when I do the work on it

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jfxv For This Useful Post:

kmb (Sunday 24th May 2020)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Result on the new seats!

This user has no status

Thanks
    yep! Made the interior a nice place to be!

It's finally had the lowering treatment too, dropped 40mm on springs all round. Bilstein B4s in the back, GAZ gold -40mm adjustables in front. In addition to its pops and bangs, decently low without scraping on anything and it looks way better. the GAZ dampers do the job but they're bloody stiff even on the lowest setting, I took it for a blast on Dartmoor today and it held the road really well so don't see a need to go stiffer. I'll get some pics up.

Also helped Woz pull his T5 engine out. Didn't get the replacement in as it needs a few bits swapping over. Hoping he'll let me steal the old one for nefarious 940 uses. The swap is pretty complicated so doubt it'll happen, but the thought of a RWD T5 is pretty nice.
    Last edited by Jfxv; Wednesday 17th June 2020 at 21:44.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Name:  20200610_192623.jpg
Size:  1.18 MB
    Name:  20200610_192637.jpg
Size:  1.28 MB
    Kept the old strut top mount as apparently originals are better quality than most new stuff. I swapped the bearings over to them, also allowed me to somewhat keep my camber settings. De-rusted and painted them to match the cam cover - literally a 10 minute paint job so it looks absolutely trash close up but the colour is right at least.. Also painted the struts, new balljoints, polybushed the control arm to radius rod bush. Didn't bother doing anything else as it was all fairly tidy and not shagged out.
    I also replaced the water pump, and killed my 20 year old radiator too, so got a new one of those in there. Wish it wasn't my daily as I'd have spent longer and got an alloy one fitted rather than one with crap plastic end tanks, but beggars can't be choosers.
    Name:  20200613_130622.jpg
Size:  1.30 MB
    Last edited by Jfxv; Wednesday 17th June 2020 at 21:51.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jfxv For This Useful Post:

kmb (Friday 19th June 2020)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Minor update:

Wideband in.

Rusty airbox and battery trays cut out and welded. Hopefully that's the last of the major rust on it, might have to revisit the sill at some point though.

MOT passed, initially failed on a tyre and emissions. It was reading too lean so they failed it -__- despite watching the wideband bounce around 14.7 while doing the test. Fixed the exhaust leaks and chucked my old tune on it to get it through, now back to normal but it's got a high idle and is still learning so I've not been nailing it as much recently.

Soon to sort out a proper exhaust for it as the straightpipe's charm has worn off. My wasted spark conversion kit has arrived from Fabian Bijlsma in the Netherlands, just need to make a bracket for the coil and ignition amp, but that'll be a mini project for the winter.
    Also hoping to fit my new wheels and do a better job of the arches at some point soon, but seeing as winter is approaching, I'm probably going to hold off so I don't ruin my nice wheels and summer tyres.
    Going to hopefully get a dyno run in once the exhaust is done, as there's been a fair amount of progress since the last one (155 wheel hp at 0.6 bar). Not going to pretend like it's actually fast though, it's just loud.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I forgot, I also cut the airbox open to use the 'cold air intake' that passes through the front wing. 10 minutes of brutality with a holesaw, now makes the whooshy turbo noises at a volume I can hear over that awful, awful exhaust.

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Great update

I do miss my old 940, was non-turbo but I did want to convert it, then the 850 came along so the 940 went. Shame as I wanted to know what more power felt like in a 940.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

Jfxv (Saturday 17th October 2020)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Your 940 project looks to be coming along nicely and I look forward to seeing more of your progress over the coming months. I had 2 740's and loved them, rwd drive and loads of load space where handy for me at the time, still miss them both in different ways.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MoleT-5R For This Useful Post:

Jfxv (Saturday 17th October 2020)

This user has no status

Thanks
    cheers guys, it's a decent enough platform for this really, just a shame it comes with low horsepower from the factory. It's getting there! Have got my hands on a 3" turbo back exhaust for it now so the straightpipe will be going, and should hopefully make more usable power now I'm getting rid of the stock downpipe and hotside. More to come once life settles down a bit

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jfxv For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Saturday 17th October 2020),MoleT-5R (Saturday 17th October 2020)

New Identity
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfxv View Post
    cheers guys, it's a decent enough platform for this really, just a shame it comes with low horsepower from the factory. It's getting there! Have got my hands on a 3" turbo back exhaust for it now so the straightpipe will be going, and should hopefully make more usable power now I'm getting rid of the stock downpipe and hotside. More to come once life settles down a bit
    Yes, things are rather crazy at the moment, life seems to be on a sort of hold (but not at the same time).
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.

This user has no status

Thanks
    It took me a while, but finally got round to sorting out the exhaust. I took it to Infinity Exhausts outside of Bristol - would recommend.

Had to swap the hotside flange to a V-banded straight flange. Stuck a 16T with a billet compressor wheel on too so should be a tiny bit better than the 15G that was on it. Was previously a 2.25" exhaust from turbo back to the cat, and straightpiped from there. Now it's a 3" downpipe, 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" muffler, to shotgun 2.5" side exits. All 304 stainless.

I've only been running it at 0.5 bar for now. It seems to spool about as well as it did previously with the more restrictive hotside and exhaust, and smaller compressor wheel. It has however not been driven in anger yet so will see how it goes.

Name:  20210221_115511.jpg
Size:  101.2 KB
    Last edited by Jfxv; Sunday 21st February 2021 at 13:21.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jfxv For This Useful Post:

kmb (Tuesday 9th March 2021)

New Identity
    Thanks
    Nice!

Need a good video of how it sounds now

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

Jfxv (Tuesday 2nd March 2021)

This user has no status

Thanks
    I will try to get the GoPro hooked up at some point! It definitely sounds better than it did. Turns a few heads now too, not sure if they're expressions of interest or disgust at this point haha. I'm hoping to get it on the rollers too for a proper mapping session at some point, in which case I'll be able to film it myself rather than putting my faith in an eBay special GoPro suction mount.
    Cheers!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jfxv For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Wednesday 3rd March 2021),kmb (Tuesday 9th March 2021)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Video of the exhaust here :

As mentioned in the vid description, I'm currently tuning it on a standalone management. Been a steep learning curve for the last couple of weeks. Still trying to sort out idle control valve, and starting issues, in addition to trying to map the fuel table. I've built my own wiring harness, and I'm now running T5 blue injectors in a paired setup, and wasted spark ignition, so it's fully mappable unlike the stock management, just need to actually get it done. I'm getting it on the dyno next week to tune ignition. Doing a lot of street tuning to sort the fuelling out at the moment around work.

It's been a lot of effort to get it to the point you see in the video, but it feels like good progress. Went from a non-starting car, to idling at 9.5:1 and pissing off the neighbours, to this, fairly quickly considering I had zero experience before I got started.
    Will happily go into a full detailed account of everything if there's interest, but it's not the sort of thing that appeals to most people, so I've left it out for now.

Definitely going to have to get a daily now for commuting, as in addition to being thirsty (as factory), it's now 'temperamental' too, and will no longer start on the turn of a key. It's worth it for fully transparent mapping though; previously I'd bought chips off Martin Smith (who I believe is on this forum) and they were great, but he's stopped making custom chips, and the flexibility of standalone management just makes sense for me going forwards. Maybe overkill for a baby TD04 turbo and a cam + exhaust, but at least I can cut my teeth on a straightforward setup. Then any future upgrades will be cheap and easy to sort out.

EDIT: yes, I have retarded the timing on overrun for pops and bangs. Who says the VAG crowd should be the only ones who get to be childish?
    Last edited by Jfxv; Thursday 1st April 2021 at 22:09.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Jfxv For This Useful Post:

kmb (Tuesday 13th April 2021)

This user has no status

Thanks
    About a few weeks after the last post, I got it on the dyno, with the aim of nailing down my spark map. Came away with a drastically changed fuel map, no changes to my spark map, and some power figures.

[IMG]33076[/IMG]
    Some power figures: 217 whp at 5100 rpm (estimated 254 at the crank) and estimated 294.7 ft lbs at 4200 rpm at the crank. No wheel torque figures annoyingly. That's at 15psi on a 16T, with a pretty conservative spark map; I'm pretty sure I can run a fair bit more timing especially in cruise.

That was at 15psi on a 16T and a V cam at factory timing, so there's definitely headroom in the cam, but the turbo was at the top end of it's capability and I was definitely running out of fuel. Threw some VXR injectors in; problem solved. They don't seem to flow as much as people think (definitely not 470cc at 3 bar), I would say they're closer to 440cc green giants, but can't measure it and I don't particularly care, as long as they flow enough.

I've spent the last few weeks sorting my fuel table out with the new injectors. Some more work to be done, but it's drivable and quite fun. Once i've got the map buttoned up, time for more boost; I've got a couple more psi before it turns into a hairdryer, especially if I can get a good intercooler in there.

Otherwise, no major updates, I usually have about one day a week to do fun things with it. Will be plumbing in a solenoid soon as Speeduino can control boost like an EBC, which is decent and I can upgrade from the MBC I have in there currently. Next up in the short term:

* fit my new wheels after a year of planning. They're WIDE and will require overfenders, which is an issue in itself; difficult to get ones that follow the original body lines. I've sourced some, pics to follow once done. I don't feel too bad about hacking this car about any more, there is a lot of nasty rust hidden away underneath and the paint is pretty shagged. I'm not ruining a clean one!
    * sort out a proper intercooler, 850R clutch, TTV flywheel.
    * Swap on my fairly dramatically shaped and ported head. This has been going on behind the scenes and should allow it to breathe a lot better, and hopefully make more use of the cam.

So, it is no longer a budget build but soon I will have a daily driver which should allow me the freedom to do proper things with this, not rushing trying to get things together in a weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jfxv; Thursday 27th May 2021 at 22:08.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jfxv For This Useful Post:

kmb (Sunday 30th May 2021),MoleT-5R (Friday 28th May 2021)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Nice update, things seem to be progressing nicely.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

27. The Following User Says Thank You to MoleT-5R For This Useful Post:

Jfxv (Thursday 3rd June 2021)

New Identity
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfxv View Post
    Threw some VXR injectors in; problem solved. They don't seem to flow as much as people think (definitely not 470cc at 3 bar), I would say they're closer to 440cc green giants, but can't measure it and I don't particularly care, as long as they flow enough.
    Yup they flow the same as greens. Someone a long time ago said they flowed 470cc and it seemed to stick (some sellers still state 470cc@3bar). They just have a different impedance to the greens.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

Jfxv (Thursday 3rd June 2021)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
    Yup they flow the same as greens. Someone a long time ago said they flowed 470cc and it seemed to stick (some sellers still state 470cc@3bar). They just have a different impedance to the greens.
    Yes it seems to be rampant on the Volvo groups and car groups/forums in general really. there seems to be a lot more data out there for the greens too, injector dead times and voltage corrections and such. I'm not convinced my settings are perfect but they're close enough I think.

Volvo Enthusiast

Thanks
    The progress is astounding, the interior is clean. I like your choice of exhaust system it's not that loud. You can check 4WheelOnline in case you are thinking about replacing your wheels.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quick update so I don't forget it all

Have been re-mapping it as I go really. Some more advance, some VE table tweaks, and I've got PID control working for the EGO so I can manage about 500 miles to a tank if I cruise at 60 mph rather than 70 - doing a lot of motorway miles at the minute so the extra economy helps.

I never got the idle valve working so I'm relying on scatter spark instead to keep it at a consistent 900rpm. It seems much happier there than around 700 as factory. Particularly when rolling to a stop and dipping the clutch, it tends to bog down and hit 400-500 before recovering. It works much better if I use the higher base idle. So, some improvements to the drivability basically.
    Some general tweaks and fixes to improve reliability - particularly around the additional wiring for the standalone.

I've had an extra muffler put on which has quietened it down far too much. Neighbours are happier, I'm not, but at least long motorway journeys are less loud now.

I found and fixed the source of the leak of outside water into my footwell. It had rusted around the grommet for the bonnet release cable.

Passed the MOT first time without needing any map adjustments.

I've turned the boost down a bit to keep the clutch alive - I now have a TTV flywheel and 850R clutch waiting to be installed following a house move. 10psi is boring! Wheels are part fitted, "just" need to cut and weld the bodywork to allow them to fit. Also an intercooler waiting, and plans for a Holset HX30 to go with the ported head.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jfxv For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Friday 5th November 2021),MoleT-5R (Monday 8th November 2021)

Thread Information