Join Today
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    This user has no status

Thanks

Cool

Quick update

Having finally tuned the car to a point where it cold starts reliably, and is reasonable on fuel, I parked it up. In the garage from January to today, and I drove an S60 instead. Now selling the S60 to get this back out for fun times this summer.

I finally got it into and back out of the bodyshop, it's now 2" wider on each side, but almost OEM looking. Props to Ian at Custom Panel and Paint in Exeter for doing a fantastic job. Some pics attached.

Name:  PSX_20220401_130840.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  208.2 KB

Name:  2022-03-14_08-39-31.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  97.9 KB

I spent the winter mostly working and planning. Reading back over the thread, my goals have changed a fair amount just between posts, and will doubtless continue to evolve. However the next few concrete plans are:
    1) 850R clutch and TTV flywheel - needs doing asap. Have the funds, need to book it in when life calms down a bit with work.
    2) 330mm brake discs with Martin Leaf's adaptors for 4 pot Brembo calipers (not S60R, they're off a Merc M class). If anyone has a good source/recommendations for S60R 330mm brake discs, please shout
    3) fit a tailgate spoiler - scored a genuine (rare!) 940 one from a breaker with an eggcrate grill, needs painting and fitting
    4) adjustable panhard rod, maybe polybush the rear end, but suspension is pretty much where I want it.

Short term goals are to drive the thing for the summer.
    Longer term, I'm aiming for 300-350 whp in the next year or so. I'm acquiring things for a proper engine build to do so, probably overkill but can always chuck a bigger turbo on when it's done.
    Picked up a spare engine to rebuild on the side with new internals, forged rods etc. and in the process of building a reasonable twin scroll manifold. Definitely a bit further off than the rest, but I've got the engine, the turbo (Holset HE250 with a 10cm2 twin scroll turbine housing), and the beginnings of the manifold. This is at least a year away, probably more, with the way the cost of living is shooting up.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jfxv For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Saturday 2nd April 2022)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quick update - nothing new to report really. Put a spoiler and eggcrate grill on it, cut the middle box out of it for some more noise. Just been driving it and enjoying it. A few rust repairs to get through its MOT, had to tweak the map at idle to get through emissions, now it's about to go back in the garage for the winter.
    Going to start building the engine over winter, hopefully get it finished for March when I'll get this back out. I'll likely stick with the 16t for a minute to keep it simple while I run the engine in, then throw the Holset on later in 2023 instead of trying to get everything on at once.

Picked up a flat front 740 saloon too, stripped interior, welded diff, probably 80 whp - perfect for winter roundabouts

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfxv View Post
    Quick update - nothing new to report really. Put a spoiler and eggcrate grill on it, cut the middle box out of it for some more noise. Just been driving it and enjoying it. A few rust repairs to get through its MOT, had to tweak the map at idle to get through emissions, now it's about to go back in the garage for the winter.
    Going to start building the engine over winter, hopefully get it finished for March when I'll get this back out. I'll likely stick with the 16t for a minute to keep it simple while I run the engine in, then throw the Holset on later in 2023 instead of trying to get everything on at once.

Picked up a flat front 740 saloon too, stripped interior, welded diff, probably 80 whp - perfect for winter roundabouts
    Sounds awesome, I need to get me a garage so I can do some big projects
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I was pretty lucky with my flat! certainly makes life less unpleasant.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Bit of an update! It's been a bit slow this year. I've mainly been either using the 940 for work (so not willing to modify it), or I've been battling reliability issues, mainly on the wiring front. The harness I built needed some rework, unfortunately it's no longer reliable enough to be a daily. I took it all apart and rebuilt the wiring harness in October, while it was off the road.

A while ago I swapped in the ported head, along with a do88 radiator and intercooler. does a much better job of keeping IATs down, I don't have any datalogs to hand but the difference is in the region of 10-15 degrees on boost.

I had the 740 last winter, it was a great winter daily. Sold it in April, to partially fund a 'built' engine. It arrived definitely NOT built.
    Came with forged rods, pistons, cylinders bored out and liners fitted. Some nice machine work, but it hadn't been done as well as the seller thought.
    I took it to a local engine builder to check it all out, sort all the issues I found in my own strip down.

I finished building it, and got it swapped in in August. Did some rust repairs while I was at it. It then took a couple of months to get it MOT'd. Now it's in for more serious rust repairs with a mate of mine, needs new jacking points, a chassis leg, sills.

So, current spec is:
    * flared arches and spicy wheels, factory spoiler, egg crate all done. Pretty happy with the exterior now. Just want to repaint it.
    * interior - leather, from an earlier 940. Custom gauge panels made up and fitted.

Engine:
    * B230FT with forged rods, pistons, cylinder liners, ACL race bearings. Done about 700 miles on it since I swapped it in now
    * 16T at 12 psi while I run the engine in, 90+ manifold ported
    * 530 head ported and chambers reshaped based on a Grotis head, standard valves, uprated valve springs
    * V cam, no adjustable pulley yet
    * 3" exhaust turbo back, single muffler
    * On standalone, built my own harness but that's part of the problem
    * VXR 440cc injectors (at 3 bar)
    * wasted spark with a Bosch 2x2 coil
    *do88 radiator and intercooler

Suspension:
    * Gaz adjustables front, Bilstein B4 rear
    * -40mm springs front and rear.
    Polybushes dotted around, need to do them all though.

Next things on the list for 2024:
    * Brembo Merc ML calipers and S60R discs to go on, with Martin Leaf's adaptors
    * GAZ coilovers for the rears
    * polybushes everywhere I've not already done it!
    * going to do a proper ECU and harness. The Speeduino is not good enough and will be up for sale soon, or going into a driftcar.

* Holset turbo swap is progressing well. I settled on a HE250WG, which are usually pretty small, but this is one of the latest spec ones, so it's more a replacement for the HX32 which people think of as a holy grail turbo for these kind of displacements. It should be a real mix of spool vs top end flow, as it's got an 11cm twin scroll T3 housing on it. I've got the manifold and enough parts to start sorting downpipe, oil drain, that sort of thing. There's always more work to be done and parts to be accumulated, but while I run the engine in, that's fine.

I'm sure I'll find other things to do before I finish the above, rust, etc.. But, the future is bright for the Shaggin' Wagon.
    Last edited by Jfxv; Sunday 24th December 2023 at 23:18.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jfxv For This Useful Post:

kmb (Saturday 6th January 2024)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Currently I own this Volvo only. I sold Goldie the 740 saloon, which was a good thing at the time but I didn't buy it back when it went back up for sale, and I regret it.

I'm going to be on the lookout for another 940 turbo estate in a couple of months, for track car / drifting.

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfxv View Post
    Currently I own this Volvo only. I sold Goldie the 740 saloon, which was a good thing at the time but I didn't buy it back when it went back up for sale, and I regret it.

I'm going to be on the lookout for another 940 turbo estate in a couple of months, for track car / drifting.
    Good to here progess is still being made, I've got nowhere with my lot this year, if the weather brightens up for 2024 then hopefully I'll get back to sorting them all out.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

Thread Information