Join Today
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Rear Lights

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    This user has no status

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Rear Lights

    Hello All,

    I have a pre face lift S60 that has the more clouded lights, and I thought in a bid to update the car I would buy a set of the jewel rear lights from an 05+ to update the back end. So I found a used set on Ebay that were going for cheap as they werent perfect but great for my purposes. I tried fitting them yesterday but they do not directly fit. Has anyone retro fitted them before ? Or should they be fitting ? i assumed body work would be the same at the rear even though i know the front bumper is different.

    Cheers Guys

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    stribo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tadley
    Posts
    13,324
    Thanks
    2,620
    Thanked 4,584 Times in 3,402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Craggsie_S60 View Post
    Hello All,

    I have a pre face lift S60 that has the more clouded lights, and I thought in a bid to update the car I would buy a set of the jewel rear lights from an 05+ to update the back end. So I found a used set on Ebay that were going for cheap as they werent perfect but great for my purposes. I tried fitting them yesterday but they do not directly fit. Has anyone retro fitted them before ? Or should they be fitting ? i assumed body work would be the same at the rear even though i know the front bumper is different.

    Cheers Guys
    I'd have thought they'd have been the same, the only difference there might be is in the plugs, but then you could just swap the bulb holders over.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    ...here we go again...
    LeeT5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    5,334
    Thanks
    1,074
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Craggsie_S60 View Post
    Hello All,

    I have a pre face lift S60 that has the more clouded lights, and I thought in a bid to update the car I would buy a set of the jewel rear lights from an 05+ to update the back end. So I found a used set on Ebay that were going for cheap as they werent perfect but great for my purposes. I tried fitting them yesterday but they do not directly fit. Has anyone retro fitted them before ? Or should they be fitting ? i assumed body work would be the same at the rear even though i know the front bumper is different.

    Cheers Guys
    A V70 rear end lights on a 05+ are identical, so I assume the S60 will be the same as the shape didn't change.
    Have you checked the lights against the old ones for comparison?
    Also, are you sure you've bought the correct MY light clusters? The ebay seller may be wrong!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    This user has no status

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 12 Times in 7 Posts
    What I remember from reading up about it is that you need to remove one pin (some sort of alignment pin) from the newer style rear lights to make them fit.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    ...here we go again...
    LeeT5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    5,334
    Thanks
    1,074
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ed-oorklep View Post
    What I remember from reading up about it is that you need to remove one pin (some sort of alignment pin) from the newer style rear lights to make them fit.
    Possibly?
    Let's face it, it can't be rocket science once they are both compared to each other.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    This user has no status

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Sorry, yes i compared both side by side and it is a guiding pin that needs to be cut off and then should be able to fit just fine, I had removed a portion of the guiding pin but not all of it like I needed to. Yes everything else matched up with no issues and all lights worked. I shall give it a go over the weekend and post some positive results hopefully ! Whilst we are on the topic of lights has anyone put the D5 projector style lights on an older gen car with any success ??

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    This user has no status

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 12 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Craggsie_S60 View Post
    Sorry, yes i compared both side by side and it is a guiding pin that needs to be cut off and then should be able to fit just fine, I had removed a portion of the guiding pin but not all of it like I needed to. Yes everything else matched up with no issues and all lights worked. I shall give it a go over the weekend and post some positive results hopefully ! Whilst we are on the topic of lights has anyone put the D5 projector style lights on an older gen car with any success ??
    Do you mean the style like mine with the corner lighting?:

    IMG_7445.jpg by ed-oorklep, on Flickr

    These will not work easily in a pre face lift car since there is no way to get the signal to get them to turn. I know it can be done on late ones (have a friend who did it) but it's quite a job.
    What I did on my old S60 was find some retrofit projectors on e-bay, some clear lenses for the lights and get those in. If you search on projector retrofit you should be able to find an extensive thread on swedespeed about that.

    Mine looked like this in the end, another pro of this imo is that you can paint the bezels and reflectors in any color you want (in my case the same color as my rims):

    cleaned by ed-oorklep, on Flickr

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ed-oorklep For This Useful Post:

    Craggsie_S60 (Thursday 29th August 2019),stribo (Monday 2nd September 2019)

  9. #8
    Junior Member
    This user has no status

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Thanks for the response and info ! Well that job might be pushed back on the list. What you ended up doing though looks great in my opinion!


 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.
     
ipv6 ready