Join Today

Hybrid View

Appreciative
    Thanks

The age old Spark Plug question, where do people buy them these days?

Evening all,

My C30 T5 is nearing 52k miles and I'd like to change the plugs, no issues with the current OEM ones, but good to keep on top of serviceable items.

My question is that a few years ago we used to be able to buy OEM Volvo plugs for £30 a set of 5, but now prices seem double and I've lost track of the best place to get them for a decent price.

I'll give Rufe (FRF Volvo) a call, but if anyone else has somewhere to get them for a good price then please could you let me know?

Thanks in advance.

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    I use the Bosch alternatives in my 850, can usually find them cheaper.

Looking at the Bosch website they list the FR7NI33 for the C30 T5

Ebay lists them at around £7 each
    Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Tuesday 4th June 2019 at 22:53.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Thanks Dave, I'm keen to use OEM Volvo due to the various stories I've read on the forums about other plugs not working as well, although I'm not sure how much truth there is in them!

This user has no status

Thanks
    I´ve been running non-OEM plugs for a few years and had no issues. In fact, you should run colder plugs (properly gapped) because it will help with knock prevention.
    I recommend you use the NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs LFR7AIX (Stock 2309) with a gap of 0.61mm. They are one step colder from OEM. I´ve used these ones and I´m even running a two step colder plugs at the moment with no issues, even when starting the engine cold in the morning.

V70 2.4T5 M66 Summum

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ric@rdo For This Useful Post:

kmb (Tuesday 11th June 2019)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric@rdo View Post
    I´ve been running non-OEM plugs for a few years and had no issues. In fact, you should run colder plugs (properly gapped) because it will help with knock prevention.
    I recommend you use the NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs LFR7AIX (Stock 2309) with a gap of 0.61mm. They are one step colder from OEM. I´ve used these ones and I´m even running a two step colder plugs at the moment with no issues, even when starting the engine cold in the morning.
    Aren't they the same as what Ford use in the Focus RS 2.5?
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Aren't they the same as what Ford use in the Focus RS 2.5?
    Don't know that info Lee.

V70 2.4T5 M66 Summum

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Thanks all for the comments, any good places to buy? I'm a bit out of touch with UK retailers and bargains since being mainly in France for the last 10 years.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I bought from here last time. They don-t have the NGK Iridium but these are also one step colder and will be good on your car/engine. I-ve been running these but two step colder and work really well.
    https://www.gsparkplug.com/1x-denso-...4280-5346.html

V70 2.4T5 M66 Summum

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric@rdo View Post
    I bought from here last time. They don-t have the NGK Iridium but these are also one step colder and will be good on your car/engine. I-ve been running these but two step colder and work really well.
    https://www.gsparkplug.com/1x-denso-...4280-5346.html
    Checked the link - They are now listing NGK iridium for my car: https://www.gsparkplug.com/1x-ngk-ir...fr6b-6481.html

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Well, just for an update on this, phoned FRF in Swansea with discount code C3, as usual they delivered nicely beating nearly all prices on the net including delivery, so I decided to play safe and stick with the originals this time, since NGK Iridium were the same price.

£46 delivered, 5x Volvo original plugs, part number 30751806.

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Fitted yesterday, the old plugs taken out of my 2010 C30 T5 were the original with nearly 53k miles (annoyingly the Ford Motor Company stamped iridium versions), glad to get the new plugs in, easy job for the fitting and torqued up correctly to 30Nm.

Quite shocked at how much difference new OEM Volvo plugs has made, even though the originals were in top condition with some slight electrode wear, it's certainly not a placebo affect - The car revs slightly more freely, pops and crackles a little more, feels like I've gained 20-30bhp throughout... Dread to think what the plugs would feel like if I left them in to the later 75k service interval.
    Last edited by kmb; Saturday 13th July 2019 at 13:06.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kmb For This Useful Post:

Ric@rdo (Sunday 14th July 2019)

Thread Information