Join Today
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    buy volvo, cut muffler off,
    send it

Thanks
    Oh, also, check out how lucky I am! The bush on the cable bracket was IN ONE PIECE! THE FIRST ONE WEVE ENCOUNTERED THAT DIDNT LOOK LIKE ITD BEEN FINGERED BY THE HULK!

Get in, back of the net!!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Result... If it doesn't fall apart in the near future

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kmb For This Useful Post:

ProjectLolvo (Wednesday 17th July 2019)

send it

Thanks
    YO ALL

Haven't posted in a while due to being major busy with new job, buttttt, THE REMAP IS DONEEEEE!

Also managed to bodge my linkage, using the knackered one sold to me by the idiots at RA motor spares in Birmingham from eBay (avoid like the plague if at all possible, they haven't got a clue what they're talking about with anything, including posting stuff as far as I can tell) and used a jubilee clip and some cable ties to sort that mf right out.

All gears fine now, and decided now or never for the remap. Took it to SGR Performance in Trafford (awesome dudes, got me in first thing on a monday morning from a Friday email) and received it back with a frankly preposterous 228bhp. Didn't expect anything north of 210 to be honest, so am very pleasantly surprised. Have also had the torque limiters in 1st and 2nd nerfed to my knowledge, and had the boost pressure tweaked and the rev limiter put up by 300rpm or so. I will say, without the coilovers being fitted yet, the car is a ££££ing deathtrap handful. Like sitting with a loaded shotgun stuffed down your pants, nice and cool because of the metal and good at keeping your ball temps even, but liable to go off at any time. Pretty interesting stuff. Lights up tyres top end of 1st when it comes onto the boost, in the dry, from a modest start. Rather pleased with everything, if my gushing here isn't evidence enough of that.

Anyhow, here's a nice dyno graph to have a gander of. Will be heading back next year for the T5, or if I decide to do something bonkers with this before it explodes, like, ooohhh sayyyyy...nitrous or something amusing like that.

Before I turn this post into an essay also, has anyone got any clue whether the BC racing RA series is on par with Eibach B12s? Given that those are my choices for a sub-£1k coilover, opinions and experience would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers all, enjoy the graph (as much as a graph can be enjoyed, I personally have been using it as tug material for several days now )

Oh, and the second photo there just amused me, the lolvo tucked in behind what I believe is an RS3? Guess which I reckon sounded better?

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Looks very healthy, glad you're happy with it... How's the clutch? *crosses fingers*

send it

Thanks
    Clutch is all good! All at the garage very impressed how good nick it was mechanically for being 17 yrs old. Proper pleased with it

send it

Thanks
    Right, coilovers ordered last Friday, and have been looking at seats for the front. Don't really care whether they match or not, will be ripping the back seats completely out and just want a decent bucket seat to replace the drivers side and an ok one for the passenger side.

Anyone got any clue what I should be looking at? Does there need to be a plate mount underneath? Is there anything else extra I need to buy or can I just get an adapter plate, make sure whatever seat I'm looking at fits, and buy whatever?

Cheers all

This user has no status

Thanks
    I agree with Don, very odd choice for a track car.

I would never think or taking my tweaked R on track, just to massive. The weight these thing carry would just murder most bits, and that’s before you get to the 20T.
    PH > https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/profile.asp? I memberId=7660
    Vids > https://www.youtube.com/user/MaximumAttack575/videos

send it

Thanks
    As I've already said I'm well aware of the limitations of the vehicle, both engine and platform wise, and have been through them in full with others far better educated on the matter than myself. I haven't started ripping things out of the already knackered interior to reduce the weight yet, rest assured it will be progressing over the next few months, as a dry run for getting something proper sorted next year. We reckon we can get about 150-200kg out but that remains to be seen how much I can do without inside and what I'm willing to chop up with a ripsaw. Will either be a T5 or an R, we'll see. I just cant get enough of 5-pots and don't want a Focus like everyone else, plus the hilarity of thrashing past other cars I have no business lining up against in a Volvo (which clearly says 2.0 on the back) is too fun to get something else. The car was free, I have spare income due to minimal overheads and a job on twice the wage I was on last year, and am having fun arsing about with my Volvo, so regardless of whatever gets said, I've already started and won't be stopping until it explodes or I decide to buy another vehicle. Already have access to 3 other cars as well so despite how bizarre it may sound, I couldn't give a toss about how silly it is.

Cheers for your input though mate, don't mean to be an ££££££££, and will continue posting pictures and hope you have a laugh reading through the thread either way

This user has no status

Thanks
    Be interesting to see what weight you could get it too. 1300kg?
    PH > https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/profile.asp? I memberId=7660
    Vids > https://www.youtube.com/user/MaximumAttack575/videos

send it

Thanks
    @jellison, tbh mate not too sure, we're just gonna see how mad we can go with it. Whatever weight can come out will be doing, so when we've got some idea of how much we can lose, I'll drop a few photos and stuff on here of what's been done so far. Hopefully around that mark either way

send it

Thanks
    anyone got any clue what to do about bucket seats? Looking on eBay/gumtree currently and found a sparco one that looks decent, does it just need a mount underneath fitting and it'll just fit in? Can't find a forum article or anything on what the process would be. Seats that are in are absolutely buggered anyway so not bothered about replacing them, or about getting a pair that matches either. Cheers

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    I'm not really up on what is what with seat swaps, but depending on what type of motorsport you wish to participate in, could dictate on how your your seat is to be mounted and also whether it has to have any motorsport approval markings, as some are date coded and can not be used after a certain time from new in some disciplines, thus if buying second hand there can be bargains out there if dates are not an issue, so it is worth doing some research before purchasing, the MSA blue book should have any info you need on seat regulations.....hope that helps and nice thread by the way, keep us updated to the projects progress, as I for one also love ripping past people in faster cars in my battered T5 and making them wonder what the hell is in that and reading like minded peoples project threads....

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MoleT-5R For This Useful Post:

ProjectLolvo (Tuesday 27th August 2019)

send it

Thanks
    Ey up all, finally got round to fitting the coilovers on Saturday after work. Managed to get started by about 4 and was done for around half 8(ish!) Had a few issues here and there with getting control arms out of the way to drop the springs out of the rear, ended up taking the inboard bolt off as opposed to the outboard as was recommended. Also replaced all drop links while I was down there, so it's feeling pretty refreshed if I'm honest.

Had a proper test of the damper adjustments, and at 100% stiff, it grips like chewing gum in a wooly hat, very impressed. Its not the hardest when theyve been wound the other way either, so is quite comfy for driving around town. Have yet to take it for a rag about with it sunny outside to see how it grips, but have actually got 3 days off this weekend instead of 1, so should get chance to have a real thrash of it and see how it goes.

On another note, bought a blue Sparco Sprint bucket seat, and ordered some universal mounts online. Apparently the seat has 290mm spacing between the mounting points, which is generally considered standard (it also has bottom mounts as well as side mounts so I can mount it however I like really. Whilst the seat itself is still in date to compete for a few months, the only thing I was even considering is hillclimb, and even then, only for fun, not to actually be competitive. The MSA have said the seat doesn't need to be FIA approved to race hillclimb, so will be fine for purpose as long as it has an appropriate harness. Will be bolting the mounts in as soon as I get time this week, maybe one night after work/gym if I get time but will probably have to be Friday.

Rear seats will also be coming out this weekend, as well as anything else that seems easy to remove, to begin the weight reduction. Will be weighing stuff individually to see how much we cut, hoping for anywhere over/around 200kg.

Will keep the thread updated either way, hope everybody is having an extremely Swedish start to the week, I know I am, skål!

send it

Thanks
    After several hours of faffing last night, I am happy to say, the seat is in! Ended up fabricating a mount from the new ones I bought plus the original Volvo rails that where in the car. Due to the bizarre shape of the floor where they mount (one at 45 degrees and the other flat) I decided I had to reuse the rails that were already in or else have someone custom make some to do the job. Couldn't be arsed with that, as usual because I wanted it done there and then, so I angle grinded the stoppers off the slider with the Volvo seat on, bashed the bearings out with a hammer, and then bolted the new mounts onto the old rails using 60mm M6 bolts with some big ol' penny washers. Its solid as a rock and after a bit of messing, is in the right position front to back/height-wise

I then fitted the new sparco harness, road legal or so I've been led to believe, and have pulled out 2 back seats, leaving one, which we cut to size with a hand saw and bolt croppers. Its been gaffer taped back up, so obviously, looks extremely smart/professional, like all my work

Began with weight reduction, took some carpets out, and cleaned the car interior/boot out, so happy with that for now. Will be seeing if we can shed more weight over the bank holiday weekend.

I'll get some nicer pictures up when I take some, but for now, some of my handiwork will have to suffice.

Project Lolvo continues! Onward!

SKÅL!

send it

Thanks
    Yo all, getting a bit of rub on the insides of the arches and thinking about doing spacers this week, and tyres next week.

Have picked out some decent rubber that the type-R boys reckon are best for the money, about £85 a corner or so which I don't call bad.

Looking at a set of H&R spacers, but not sure what size to order. A couple of other dudes on the Swedespeed forum reckoned 12mmF/15mmR is the way to go, but they're talking looks, not performance. I was thinking 20mm front, and leave the rear tbh, but would take sensible advice off anyone who fancies giving it.

Think I read to get the wheels flush to the arches, to go 12mm front and 15mm rear. Can anyone confirm this? Apart from my already abysmal turning circle, is there any reason I specifically *wouldn't* want to put a 20mm spacer in there?

Cheers for your help either way, hmu if anyone is in the northwest and fancies a little Volvo-off, I know a few decent roads up our way that are profoundly different since PL has had her medicine

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectLolvo View Post
    Yo all, getting a bit of rub on the insides of the arches and thinking about doing spacers this week, and tyres next week.

Have picked out some decent rubber that the type-R boys reckon are best for the money, about £85 a corner or so which I don't call bad.

Looking at a set of H&R spacers, but not sure what size to order. A couple of other dudes on the Swedespeed forum reckoned 12mmF/15mmR is the way to go, but they're talking looks, not performance. I was thinking 20mm front, and leave the rear tbh, but would take sensible advice off anyone who fancies giving it.

Think I read to get the wheels flush to the arches, to go 12mm front and 15mm rear. Can anyone confirm this? Apart from my already abysmal turning circle, is there any reason I specifically *wouldn't* want to put a 20mm spacer in there?

Cheers for your help either way, hmu if anyone is in the northwest and fancies a little Volvo-off, I know a few decent roads up our way that are profoundly different since PL has had her medicine

An alternative would be to fit R steering lock limiters, the downside is a dreadful steering lock.

This user has no status

Thanks

Those numbers look correct for the setup I had on my S60 with the BC kit and Nebula's if the ET of your rims is the same as the Nebula's that will mean you will get the wheels flush with the arches. I measured what I needed by making sure the car was level and use a leveling tool to measure the distance from the arch edge to the wheel/tire and where I wanted it to be.
    Nothing is stopping you from going fatter though I guess. except for hitting the plastic but that you should be able to measure.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    One thing that would help with the combination of a heavy car with a relatively low output engine. Early 850s with non turbo engines had a lower ratio M56 gearbox that would really help acceleration, albeit with a lower maximum speed.
    Renault's Safrane from that period had the same Volvo M56 and the Volvo NA 5 pot in some variants with even lower ratios and the lowest final drive of all.
    I did such a swap in my old S70 T5 that I used in a Toyo prod. saloon series. It did help in that most UK circuits have not got long straights to exploit high speeds in gear and it really helps out of corners.
    I did have all the ratio and final drive info. but it is now long gone. If I remember there was all you needed to know in some old Volvo 850/S/V 70 Haynes manuals.
    Don.

PS if your car has the later M66 then it might be worth a look at other such lower ratio boxes.......
    Last edited by don kalmar union; Wednesday 28th August 2019 at 22:24.
    MTE performance software, Ferrita stainless exhausts, TME stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com

send it

Thanks
    Cheers for the help guys, think I will just get 2 identical sets of 15mm spacers for ease, will ring Larkspeed today to see what they have in stock and what bolts I'll need, should be reyt for both and if slightly wider at front then I'm not too fussed. Any extra clearance on the massive front calipers is a bonus anyway.

@Don I will certainly be looking into that mate thanks. Have done some reading early this morning and did not realise the sheer variety there are of M56 boxes, also read that they're practically the same as the M90 out of the 940 (I think?). How difficult is alteration to the final drive? Would I be able to get something machined if I work out the ratio needed that may do the trick, or is there a part available?

Also been looking into some other parts that may be applicable to a T5 for next year (or might keep this and swap to a 2.4T if that's a do-able task, if only to experience swapping an engine and the issues that comes with) and have come across a Quaife/Gripper LSD. Both look like an excellent buy but will have to wait til I've decided what I'm doing before I get one. You never know, may end up with an S60R next year, so anything M56 centric I buy would be useless for that, drivetrain-wise anyway.

Took her for a spin on Snake Pass last weekend and embarrassed some rather slow bikers (except one who was having ££££££££££ none of it, to be expected) very happy with it so far, just want more weight out and some nice new tyres. Progress! Onward

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Cheers for the help guys, think I will just get 2 identical sets of 15mm spacers for ease, will ring Larkspeed today to see what they have in stock and what bolts I'll need, should be reyt for both and if slightly wider at front then I'm not too fussed. Any extra clearance on the massive front calipers is a bonus anyway.

@Don I will certainly be looking into that mate thanks. Have done some reading early this morning and did not realise the sheer variety there are of M56 boxes, also read that they're practically the same as the M90 out of the 940 (I think?). How difficult is alteration to the final drive? Would I be able to get something machined if I work out the ratio needed that may do the trick, or is there a part available?

Also been looking into some other parts that may be applicable to a T5 for next year (or might keep this and swap to a 2.4T if that's a do-able task, if only to experience swapping an engine and the issues that comes with) and have come across a Quaife/Gripper LSD. Both look like an excellent buy but will have to wait til I've decided what I'm doing before I get one. You never know, may end up with an S60R next year, so anything M56 centric I buy would be useless for that, drivetrain-wise anyway.

Took her for a spin on Snake Pass last weekend and embarrassed some rather slow bikers (except one who was having ££££££££££ none of it, to be expected) very happy with it so far, just want more weight out and some nice new tyres. Progress! Onward

From experience I can say that the M56 box from 850/v70 na 10v cars will give you an awesome track box acceleration is rapid and still able to clear 150 before hitting the std rev limiter, I have a quaife atb in mine for drag racing , which was a simple fit, but for track use I would replace that with a gripper though,

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

Thread Information