Join Today
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    buy volvo, cut muffler off,
    send it

Thanks

PROJECT LOLVO (My S60 2.0T budget track build) with crap massive pictures

Hi all, a few mates recommended that I start a build thread somewhere for my project and here seemed like the right place, so here goes.

It will probably end up being forgotten and then re-updated a couple of times, but here's where we're at so far.

The car itself was a gift from my mum after my 1998 V70 was scrapped due to me not having the funds to fix her and it being an auto etc, so decided after I got a decent job with decent pay that I would pile some cash into a free car which only had 86'000 miles on or so, which as we know, for a Volvo, is nothing. The clocks and tacho had packed in, the fuel pump was dead, and there were a few more issues which needed solving before the real work could begin, so we set to doing what had to be done to get the car roadworthy. It has had a set of clocks from a diesel S60 installed (for free, so she now redlines at 4500rpm, must be saving fuel there amirite??) and a fresh OEM fuel pump, which meant I could drive it and not stand the chance of literally running out of fuel.

On day one, she didn't look horrendous, but had pathetic brakes, dirty 16" alloys, and I was unable to hear the car at any revs whatsoever unless literally inside the engine bay. At this point I was in receipt of continual derision off my friends who aren't super into their cars for being a "lunatic with no sense of value for money" because of my plans for her, but spurred on by my own enthusiasm for Volvos, and my car mates saying it would literally be the most hilarious thing that anyone round our end has done in years, I resolved to get the f*** on with it and make some fairly serious changes. It was at this point I fried the clutch, which to be fair had been in the car since 2002 and had my mum riding it like a tired donkey for 45'000 miles. I cooked it whilst parking on a steep hill near Hardcastle Crags at Hebden Bridge, and then limped home and took her off the road. Unaware that a fresh DMF and clutch would skin me AT LEAST £600, I started pricing it up. When I finally realised the catastrophic cost of replacing both parts with brand new OEM, I figured, in for a penny and all that, so bought myself a few other bits.

Had been trawling forums for a while for the best few bits to be getting on with, and found a thread referring to replacing the front brakes with those from an XC90 (336mm, pads and discs of my choice) so thought to myself that had to be worth a go! Bought two tatty but functional looking calipers from eBay, and then some rather fancy EBC discs and yellowstuff pads, which when they arrived were a considerable amount larger than I'd pictured them in my head. Had checked previously and knew that I would have to chuck the 16"s that she came with for some larger alloys, and had bought myself a set of spider alloys from an S40. It came as a surprise to me that the PCD was COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, and after kicking myself for not checking, I put my brothers 2004 V70 up on bricks and nicked his alloys instead (17" T5, gorgeous alloys but f*****g knackered). Annoyed as he was, he eventually relented to a solid swap for my 16"s and half the profit from selling the ones that didn't fit on eBay. Job one was complete, and after a trip to see my pal over at Carwurx in Leeds (props to Crush, he is the ££££ing man and puts up with me and my Volvo-related nonsense well enough) the new clutch and flywheel was installed, as well as OEM discs/pads/calipers at the rear, which she desperately needed, as she had developed an interesting wobble from the previous ones being both stuck on and badly warped.

The brakes had arrived at the same time, but needed to be fitted after I had put the alloys on the car, so after clutch and wheels, I took the car back over to Leeds, and got it up on the ramp to "do the brakes myself" (read: I pestered Crush for 5-6hrs with different and increasingly inane questions) and after a day of skinning my knuckles and a few more little issues, we got them fitted and looking fly AF.
    The brake pipes both had to be replaced, after removing the union bolt from their ends both pinged off and sprayed lovely brake fluid all over the place, so we made new ones from scratch with some fancy looking copper piping (basically racing pipes really??) It was just as well I replaced the brakes at the rear, AND the ones at the front, as on removal, we realised that they were completely useless and as stuck on as the rear ones (had wondered why they got hotter than a pizza oven on a quick trip to the shops). In honesty, I knew they needed doing, just wasn't aware of quite how badly. At any rate, they were now done, and she was ready to be dropped onto her rubber for a decent test drive.

I ended up taking the car to a festival in Derbyshire after bedding the clutch in by driving like a grandma for 500 miles, and ruminated on the next bits to sort. I knew it was going to need coilovers at some point soon, but figured that because I now had no issues stopping, I would make it a little more spritely. So, after pencilling in for a remap, I decided to rip the backbox off and get it replaced with a bit of straight pipe by my local silencer and exhaust experts. In between I had also fitted a new cold air filter and pulled the top off the airbox, because race-car, obviously. She now sounded like I thought a 5-pot was supposed to sound, I just needed to get the remap done and next few pieces sorted so that she wasn't writing cheques with noise that she couldn't possibly cash.

SEE NEXT POST, RUN OUT OF PHOTOS I CAN ADD

PHOTOS ALL GIANT AND IN RANDOM ORDER, SORRY I HAVE NOT FIGURED OUT HOW TO USE THIS FORUM YET *thumbs up*
    Attached Images Attached Images         

send it

Thanks
    So, where was I up to-

ah, yes, banging on about Volvos, as usual.

As you can see from the photos, the clearance on the brakes is literally 1-2mm in places near the front of the alloys, this will probably become a problem at some stage with heat on track, but I will certainly be crossing that bridge when I come to it. As it goes, was scheduled for the remap this weekend, but gear linkage has given up so I lost 2nd, 4th and reverse gears while parked on my mate's quiet heavily-residential street. It was interesting getting him to come out and give me a push backwards, what with now having Manchester's loudest Volvo, but I managed to get her home, and have once again put the keys away until the new linkage I have ordered is in my hands. They should be here monday with any luck, so it's going back over to Leeds onto the ramp, and will await my arrival Saturday to sort the cables themselves, and get the remap sorted. Trying to upload a before and after photo now to show progress so far, but the before photo wont load for some reason. Will see if it needs to be on a separate post.

I'll try and update the thread as and when with progress, and if anyone has any questions on how stuff went to get it done if they're thinking of having a go themselves (although unless you're clinically insane or have Volvo body dysmorphia like me I don't know why the hell you would) then feel free to ask and I'll do my best to get back to you. Hopefully she's gonna be 220bhp and with a set of nice BC racing coilovers by the end of June, but I do not doubt there will be further issues.

Cheers for reading, and for F***s sake say a prayer for my wallet.

The Rochdale Viking (PROJECT LOLVO)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ProjectLolvo For This Useful Post:

kmb (Sunday 2nd June 2019)

send it

Thanks
    Here is your before and after (and a random one of engine bay shortly after air filter), with any luck, if this photo tool pulls its sodding finger out-

My pal Jack there modelling her beforehand handsomely. And yes, before you ask, my boot facia is taped on. Had a couple of small electrical issues, which are now solved, but not before I pulled the facia off with some enthusiastic tugging. Oh, and there's one on there of the new section of pipe that the backbox has been replaced with. There will be videos soon, so that you can hear it isn't just for show or whatever. Not that a car as f****d looking as mine has anything done for show. Also, before anyone says anything about it, no I will not be changing the outer appearance at all. There are plans to alter the interior to get some weight out, but the outside is staying exactly as it is, complete with the "T" missing off the 2.0T badge on the back. It'll be funnier that way IMO and much more amusing when I get her to the standard I want.

Many big plans for the future, not limited to swapping everything over to a T5 if she isn't quick enough, or engine swapping this, whatever is easier, maybe an LSD, and a bunch of other interesting plans we're bouncing about. Get at me for any details, and see you crazy Sweedespeeders on track *salute*

(SORRY AGAIN FOR PHOTOS BEING ALL OVER THE PLACE, I WILL GET TO GRIPS WITH THE TOOL I PROMISE)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Keep the progress reports coming, hope the remap brings her to life (post linkage)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kmb For This Useful Post:

ProjectLolvo (Sunday 2nd June 2019)

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    I would really like to slow you up a bit on considering this car to be in any way suitable as a track car.

If I can put it gently this 2 litre engine has very low outputs indeed and would be unlikely to yield much more unless you spend an inordinately huge sum on it.

You can most certainly improve the braking and handling by spending sensibly on good quality suspension and braking components and when push comes to shove a limited slip diff will transform it.

My very best advice would be to sell this particular car and buy a T5, you will get an inordinately greater engine output even in standard form..... if you could stretch to a later, post '05 2.4 litre T5 then you get 330 bhp just with a simple stage 1 software upgrade.

Don.

PS I would take that cone filter off.... they are well known to allow a lot of very fine particles through into the engine, wearing the turbo on the way, draw warm air from inside the engine compartment and add nothing to outputs 'til you get well over 300bhp.... Volvo's standard inlet tract was very efficient.
    Last edited by don kalmar union; Sunday 2nd June 2019 at 15:48.
    MTE performance software, Ferrita stainless exhausts, TME stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to don kalmar union For This Useful Post:

ProjectLolvo (Sunday 2nd June 2019)

send it

Thanks
    Cheers for the input, but I'm already well aware of the limitations of the vehicle (especially the B5204T5, no comp. ratio change, tiny turbo etc) as stated beforehand, and also as stated before well aware of what it would cost to get anything more than 215-220hp from the car, and what my alternatives are in terms of a more suitable build. This is for fun and for my amusement, as well as for a send-off for a vehicle that I'm pretty sure will explode before I get anything approaching a reasonable time out of it at Oulton Park. The plan has and will always be to have what enjoyment I can and then move on to something more appropriate when I'm familiar with wrenching on an S60, and considering the car was free and I'm not exactly hard up for means or cash, I doubt highly if I will be discouraged from going in the direction I am.

Also, I know about the problems with a "performance" air filter as opposed to the stock one on the vehicle, and genuinely am not bothered in any way shape or form. It makes the PCV louder and tbh that is all I'm bothered about. I'm here to annoy people with my silly Volvo, not compete at an autocross event. There will inevitably be a T5 or an S60R build happening *when*, not if, this particular build decides she's had enough, and I'd like a consequence-free environment to play around in before that. Advice is genuinely appreciated however, not trying to be a d**k or anything, I just know how I'm doing this and am conscious of the foibles of doing so. It's gonna be chucked around for as long as it survives, experimented on like an alien in a CIA blacksite, and will most likely end up on fire.

Trust me, I've had enough sane people tell me everything I'm doing wrong haha. Thanks for the input though *thumbs up*

Appreciative
    Thanks
    On the basis of that recognition, keep the story coming - It'll make for interesting reading and you can look at it as building a mobile store of spares when you get to the T5 upgrade stage.

Good luck!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kmb For This Useful Post:

ProjectLolvo (Monday 3rd June 2019)

send it

Thanks
    Cheers buddy, that is most definitely a sound plan. Just need to sort myself a unit out so that I'm not filling me mams house with yet more Volvo parts. She's already tired of it as it is, and as I have noooooo plans to relocate I think storage for my stuff is definitely on the table.

Just not the dining room table. Or the living room one.

had my linkage cables shipped today as well, so will be doing virtually infinite shouting while I get them fitted later I should imagine

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Good luck with the fitting, hope that sorts the gear selection issue and there aren't too many sheared bolts and bruised knuckles to contend with.

send it

Thanks
    Nice one, I hope it isn't too much of a pain in the arse, but given that everything else we've replaced has been absolutely catastrophically ££££££££ed I'm not holding my breath.

Woooooo funtimes!

send it

Thanks
    After half an hour of work we established that they have sent the wrong linkage from eBay, even though it's been labelled as 2002 S60 2.0t cable linkage, it clearly isn't. Should have given the pictures a proper full look through before ordering, but in fairness they should have bloody well labelled it correctly. Have ordered more and they should be here Thursday, doubt if I'll get the remap in this week now though, which is ever so slightly irritating. Oh well, such is carstuff.

Onward, and to better Volvos

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Minor set back, quite typical of eBay though, everything needs double checking on there

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kmb For This Useful Post:

ProjectLolvo (Thursday 6th June 2019)

send it

Thanks
    Its just annoying, we figured out apparently it's from a Volvo with a spaceball shifter, but thought they only came on s60r/much later models? Either way they're talking nonsense about which car it's off. They've offered full refund though which I guess is ok, would've just liked the correct part tbh. Ah well.

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Bloody car makers having several different ways of doing exactly the same job....
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

send it

Thanks
    Finally got the right ones on order for tomorrow. Still had a faff with delivery company getting them, but hopefully by Saturday afternoon she should be sorted and the remap applied.

All luck to me gentlemen, will post videos if success

send it

Thanks
    @kmb think I saw on your forum profile you're affiliated with Kalmar Union is that correct mate? Just wondering if you can recommend the correct wheel spacers (assuming H&R?) for a 20mm per side track widening, or better yet, is that even the correct width to go for? Apparently with a remap it might want to take a wider front tyre, and will definitely want a spacer to go with the coilovers next month if so, any clue which is best? Thought 40mm overall should be the ticket.

Cheers

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectLolvo View Post
    @kmb think I saw on your forum profile you're affiliated with Kalmar Union is that correct mate? Just wondering if you can recommend the correct wheel spacers (assuming H&R?) for a 20mm per side track widening, or better yet, is that even the correct width to go for? Apparently with a remap it might want to take a wider front tyre, and will definitely want a spacer to go with the coilovers next month if so, any clue which is best? Thought 40mm overall should be the ticket.

Cheers

No affiliations with Kalmar Union, but Don does post some useful stuff and have a very good reputation!

I'd recommend contacting him directly with the questions and I'm sure he'll know the answers.

send it

Thanks
    Righto @kmb, cheers, will direct my enquiries his way

Just a little update here, finally got my mitts on the correct linkage, Lolvo is currently in Leeds awaiting a remap, held up a little by my mates gear all needing an update (and gear is all in Italian, so he's had an interesting time sorting that out, mama mia) but it should be next 48hrs or so that I head over to fit the linkage and give her a road test.

Remap comes with a 2yr warranty, and a free dyno session if I'm "not happy" with the results, and something tells me regardless of how it is that I'm probably gonna take the dyno sesh anyway. I will be ecstatic if I can get anything approaching 220bhp, have told them I couldn't care less about economy, just give me everything you can, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm either going to blow the block/turbo to shreds or I'm gonna have my hands on a nippy little* vehicle

*££££ing enormously heavy Volvo

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ProjectLolvo For This Useful Post:

kmb (Monday 10th June 2019)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Let's have a look at the dyno print when it gets there, we like graphs

26. The Following User Says Thank You to kmb For This Useful Post:

ProjectLolvo (Monday 10th June 2019)

send it

Thanks
    Ey up all, quick update here, went over and fitted the linkage I bought from eBay earlier today (which wasn't without issue, who'd have thought??) unfortunately my mates laptop, which has finally accepted being updated, has caused his obd box to s**t a brick, so he's gonna have to speak to BHP over in Burnley to get that sorted, and its gonna be a week til we can experiencccccccccce the powerrrrrrrr

Anyroad, thatll be done when it's done, hopefully sooner rather than later, but I managed to pull the centre console and a few pieces of trim, and get the linkage installed.

Predictably, they lied about the state it was in and did a very good job hiding a sleeve being snapped (exactly the same as the one we're taking off) but on the shifter end, they had also managed to snap one of the clips that hold the shifter end in the housing off too. I mean, they're flimsy but they could've told me the truth before I paid for yet another part. We've bodged up what we could using gaffer tape and some cable ties, and it's held together pretty sturdily. Will have to see how it holds up, but at least the bushes were in good nick and it's all gone in nicely. Got all my gears back though, so no more granny shifting into 3rd/5th from a racing start in 1st

Also used the wire wheel to scrape and polish the bracket on the trans housing (and p****d it through with WD), so that it didn't rust the collar on the linkage to f**k again and seize it into the gap, the previous one having taken two knuckles/a full book of swearwords to remove.

Will try my best to keep the thread updated as and when, and will also be speaking to RA Motor Spares on eBay to give the lying bumholes a piece of my mind (and a crap review). Don't understand why people can't just be straight with you sometimes, if they'd said "oh well it's knackered but it might do you, we'll knock a fiver off" that would've been fine! Just annoys me. Probably me being a grumpy sod, but it's reyt pecked my head.

Got the remap scheduled for whenever the hardware gets sorted, so in meantime will be buying braided hoses for the brakes, getting steering limit arms for brakes drilled to m14 (still haven't done that, oops), and pricing up the coilovers. Have been thinking BC Racing RA series, as they should swap straight over to the T5 whenever I end up blowing this up.

Any suggestions?

Hope all is well with you guys, peace

PL

(wasn't a very quick update that was it-? I need to stop spending so long on the bog my legs have gone f*****g numb)

28. The Following User Says Thank You to ProjectLolvo For This Useful Post:

kmb (Tuesday 11th June 2019)

Thread Information