Join Today
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    buy volvo, cut muffler off,
    send it

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    From experience I can say that the M56 box from 850/v70 na 10v cars will give you an awesome track box acceleration is rapid and still able to clear 150 before hitting the std rev limiter, I have a quaife atb in mine for drag racing , which was a simple fit, but for track use I would replace that with a gripper though,
    So is the M56 gearbox different depending on which vehicle it's been pulled from? Will one fit the another platform or does it mount differently? To be honest, I get a bit annoyed at how for some reason 1st, 2nd and 3rd all feel extremely long, but in 5th at 70mph I'm only just off the boost on the turbo and if I go to 80mph on the motorway, I can hear it spooling and know how much fuel is being rinsed because of how far up the gear I am.

What I would like is 5 fairly short gears, perhaps a max speed of 130 or so which is more than enough, and then an overdrive for the motorway to save fuel. Is there anything that would suit this application? I could understand if that sounds stupid, and I will be buying a more appropriate V70 D5 for a daily as soon as I've sold a fiesta ST I bought and fixed to sell, so the motorway cruising isn't that important. I'm more keen to make adequate use of the piddly 230hp than anything. Happy with it for a 2.0 obviously, but would love to be able to make better use of it.

Weight reduction may also be continuing this weekend if I get time, and have purchased 2 pairs of H&R 15mm spacers and some 45mm bolts to fit them with, which should be with us next weekend. Will be buying a trolley jack as well so that I can finally use the axle stands I have properly, ££££ty little jack is driving me up the wall for when I just want to do a little driveway job.

Meant to say, will probably be looking into LSD when I sort either a 2.4T swap or a T5, depending on what's more cost effective/fun/learning experience. Definitely going gripper though, every Volvo guy has recommended them so far. Quaife for the jap stuff, gripper for heavy euro stuff.

As usual cheers guys

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectLolvo View Post
    So is the M56 gearbox different depending on which vehicle it's been pulled from? Will one fit the another platform or does it mount differently? To be honest, I get a bit annoyed at how for some reason 1st, 2nd and 3rd all feel extremely long, but in 5th at 70mph I'm only just off the boost on the turbo and if I go to 80mph on the motorway, I can hear it spooling and know how much fuel is being rinsed because of how far up the gear I am.

What I would like is 5 fairly short gears, perhaps a max speed of 130 or so which is more than enough, and then an overdrive for the motorway to save fuel. Is there anything that would suit this application? I could understand if that sounds stupid, and I will be buying a more appropriate V70 D5 for a daily as soon as I've sold a fiesta ST I bought and fixed to sell, so the motorway cruising isn't that important. I'm more keen to make adequate use of the piddly 230hp than anything. Happy with it for a 2.0 obviously, but would love to be able to make better use of it.

Weight reduction may also be continuing this weekend if I get time, and have purchased 2 pairs of H&R 15mm spacers and some 45mm bolts to fit them with, which should be with us next weekend. Will be buying a trolley jack as well so that I can finally use the axle stands I have properly, ££££ty little jack is driving me up the wall for when I just want to do a little driveway job.

Meant to say, will probably be looking into LSD when I sort either a 2.4T swap or a T5, depending on what's more cost effective/fun/learning experience. Definitely going gripper though, every Volvo guy has recommended them so far. Quaife for the jap stuff, gripper for heavy euro stuff.

As usual cheers guys

The 2.0l 10v box has the lowest and closest 1st,2nd and 3rd gear ratio's and a final drive of 4.45:1. The available std m56 final drive ratios were 4.00:1, 4.25:1, 4.45:1, the 4.45:1 from my experience drag racing and also from no the road driving, is very rapid through the box and 130mph is somewhere between 5500-6000 rpm iirc, obviously if your only running a 2.0l then a lot is to be gained in fitting a T5 lump, all though it would be quite a bit of work tbh, there are also other gearbox options such as m59 and m66 but I don't know much about these as far as ratio's and fitment go, but they are straight bolt up swaps (m59 would require driveshafts as these differ from m56) m66's are available from the ford st's iirc correctly but I couldn't tell you about FD's or ratios for those unfortunately....hope this helps.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoleT-5R For This Useful Post:

davebb (Monday 2nd September 2019),ProjectLolvo (Tuesday 3rd September 2019)

send it

Thanks
    Cheers for the info brother, will start looking for a 10V gearbox at some point in the next month or so. Is it the M56H that I'm looking for? Think I'm on an M56L, but not 100% sure. Those ratios sound bang on though for what I'm after, nice one

Has anyone ever had any experience with strut braces? Supposed to be polybushing the trans mount and the engine mounts, and thought I'd splash out and get the front and rear strut braces sorted while I'm there. Is there any point or are they a bit naff? From my (very limited) mechanic understanding, they benefit a heavy, front-wheel drive car best due to the tendency to flex and therefore understeer. If I'm honest, most of my issues currently are from a lack of grip (my tyres suck balls, and want an LSD) and from lift off oversteer, but I'm working that out with the adjustable dampers. Managed to get it to a point with pleasing slip angle, as long as I'm hell for leather into the bend. Its controllable, and actually sort of helps the enormous bulk around the corner. She's tried to bite my head off a couple of times, but after spending a good few hours getting used to the handling, it just makes me laugh every damn time, honestly it's better than I thought I would ever get and I've still foreseeably got miiiiiiiiiles to go

As usual boys, any help greatly appreciated

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ProjectLolvo For This Useful Post:

kmb (Tuesday 3rd September 2019)

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Cheers for the info brother, will start looking for a 10V gearbox at some point in the next month or so. Is it the M56H that I'm looking for? Think I'm on an M56L, but not 100% sure. Those ratios sound bang on though for what I'm after, nice one

Has anyone ever had any experience with strut braces? Supposed to be polybushing the trans mount and the engine mounts, and thought I'd splash out and get the front and rear strut braces sorted while I'm there. Is there any point or are they a bit naff? From my (very limited) mechanic understanding, they benefit a heavy, front-wheel drive car best due to the tendency to flex and therefore understeer. If I'm honest, most of my issues currently are from a lack of grip (my tyres suck balls, and want an LSD) and from lift off oversteer, but I'm working that out with the adjustable dampers. Managed to get it to a point with pleasing slip angle, as long as I'm hell for leather into the bend. Its controllable, and actually sort of helps the enormous bulk around the corner. She's tried to bite my head off a couple of times, but after spending a good few hours getting used to the handling, it just makes me laugh every damn time, honestly it's better than I thought I would ever get and I've still foreseeably got miiiiiiiiiles to go

As usual boys, any help greatly appreciated

A front strut brace will help with steering feel, though you don't want to go too stiff on the front end as that'll just cause more understeer, a rear strut brace will help promote lift off oversteer, and kill some of the understeer, so in my opinion is a must do.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

ProjectLolvo (Thursday 5th September 2019)

send it

Thanks
    Cheers, will keep that in mind when buying, maybe get a normal front strut but soften the dampers a bit and keep the rear stiff and maintain grip?

Also, will maybe be getting some semi-slicks and some lightweight track wheels to go on when I finally make it to 3 Sisters or wherever, is it vital that I have a baffled sump fabricated? As it is, the cornering is profoundly more brutal than standard, so I am a little concerned about surge when taking corners properly. My mates dad recently managed to blow his type-R up through oil surge, I respect that I won't be cornering like one of those, but the difference from stock in PL is far greater than his was from a stock Civic.

Tl;dr - Baffled sump or no baffled sump?

(Pictures of spacers included for reference also, they look almost too nice to use ha )

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ProjectLolvo For This Useful Post:

kmb (Thursday 5th September 2019)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Can you do before and after piccies for the spacers? Do you buy special longer bolts with spacers? Forgive my ignorance, I've never fitted any but often thought the rears on my C30 could do with them.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kmb For This Useful Post:

ProjectLolvo (Saturday 7th September 2019)

send it

Thanks
    @kmb I just fitted the spacers, used 15mm all round and tbh it probably could've gone a bit further on the front without being too far out, have yet to see what handling difference there is though, just got new Michelin Asymmetric 5s to have a do of so gonna go find my favourite moorland b-roads and have a proper do. Rear is absolutely flush to the plastic sill inside the arch, don't know if I'm gonna bother removing it, if I decide to lower more than I already have then I'll probably have to, to avoid rub at least, but as it is, I'm happy with how it's sat.

Yeah, I did get longer bolts, standard are M14x30, 17mm with 60deg head, just went 15mm bigger to M14x45. Larkspeed wanted £2 per bolt, so got some on eBay instead for about £1.40 each.

As you can see from the before/after shots, it's sat quite nicely, will post a picture from outside the car at some point soon to show the difference.

Will be buying some Ultra Racing strut braces for front and rear next week, there's a website that will do both for near enough £200, so after that there's not much more I can be doing except starting to rip stuff out with a bit more enthusiasm.

Also having calipers painted next few weeks in Focus RS green, which is guaranteed to make people laugh (and me), and will be doing braided hoses/seal refurb while they're off. Might have to get a Lolvo stencil made up to go over where it says "Volvo" on them as well, we'll see if I can be arsed though won't we eh?

Happy volvo-ing

PL

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ProjectLolvo For This Useful Post:

kmb (Monday 9th September 2019)

send it

Thanks
    Linkage sheathe snapped around the back-front cable of the shifter yesterday while out on a decent drive (had to drive home from 3-4 miles away in 3rd without stopping), so we decided to bodge it properly with a pair of little brackets and some cable ties. Second linkage I've had that's snapped right on one of the plastic sheathes, (was other end last time on top of the trans) think I've found one of the few parts of a Volvo that aren't inherently hard as ££££ing nails. This seems (like the other part of my linkage bodge) to be tougher than the actual part Volvo had put in, so I think it'll last me longer than wrapping it in f*****g gaffer tape.

Happy with how it's sat now anyway, got a new alloy on the way to complete the set and have a spare, and because we've noticed a little crack on the back of one of the ones being used that needs to be repaired.

Not looking bad. 60kg of weight out as of today too, weighed generously by the council tip weighbridge

PL

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ProjectLolvo For This Useful Post:

kmb (Monday 9th September 2019)

send it

Thanks
    Think I might be in danger of being a moron; tyres are Goodyear Eagle F1 AS5s. Bit of a mouthful so I think I was understandably confused. They still grip like f*** either way.

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Cheers, will keep that in mind when buying, maybe get a normal front strut but soften the dampers a bit and keep the rear stiff and maintain grip?

Also, will maybe be getting some semi-slicks and some lightweight track wheels to go on when I finally make it to 3 Sisters or wherever, is it vital that I have a baffled sump fabricated? As it is, the cornering is profoundly more brutal than standard, so I am a little concerned about surge when taking corners properly. My mates dad recently managed to blow his type-R up through oil surge, I respect that I won't be cornering like one of those, but the difference from stock in PL is far greater than his was from a stock Civic.

Tl;dr - Baffled sump or no baffled sump?

(Pictures of spacers included for reference also, they look almost too nice to use ha )

If anything you want to stiffen the dampers, and fit a softer front ARB. Control body roll with the suspension as much as possible, with an ARB as an assister. A stiff ARB will just send the shock from a bump across the axle causing both wheels to be affected.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

ProjectLolvo (Wednesday 18th September 2019)

send it

Thanks
    Cheers for the input mate, just bought myself a front and rear top strut to fit this weekend, and will be changing out the ARBs at some point in the next couple of months when I have a spare £450 or so (that's how much I found them for on Larkspeed - Ultra Racing same as struts)

Probably will push the boat out and do lower struts as well, but they're twice the price and don't seem (as far as an hours googling is concerned) to make much difference for the money. Everyone I've spoken to has just said do tops for now and then when I sort the ARBs fit the lowers if I have money to buy them. Also sorting some powerflex bushes finally, so need to get those on as soon as they're bought and delivered.

If I am to be getting an engine swap sorted sometime in spring next year, these purchases won't be letting me down, and if we cba with engines and messing about and end up switching to a T5/2.4T/2.5T, then all of this stuff will just be getting swapped straight over to the new car.

Meant to say, think I'm heading to track attack at Wigan on 19th of October for a shakedown if anyone's interested? Will most likely be there with the type-R boys, my mate in his silly 500+hp supercharged EP3 might be there, and another in a much more reasonable NA FN2 with some interesting bits under the bonnet. If anyone fancies it let me know, hmu on Instagram @theridingviking.

Cheers all

PL

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ProjectLolvo For This Useful Post:

kmb (Thursday 19th September 2019)

send it

Thanks
    Incoming with another hairbrained idea here, found a garage called Shemtech(tek?) that will do a 300+hp tune for the 2.0T with a 16T and 550cc injectors if all is well with the health of the engine. Mine flew through at SGR performance on the dyno, so I have been looking into and reckon me and my pal at Carwurx will be able to handle the swap from 12T to 16T, and fit the injectors same time.

Has anyone here got any experience of that particular swap? Have read that if I get a newer 16T rather than the 2002 that would go with my engine, the water/oil cooling lines are on the opposite side, but other than that it's just a straight swap. Does anyone know if this is correct? Won't just be swapping the bits and doing nothing else, will be adding a boost gauge to make sure all is well, and then immediately taking the car to be tuned before any driving is done. Have seen some that are outputting north of 300hp about on their Facebook page and on youtube, couldn't believe it myself but have spoken to the guys there and they seem like genuine 5-cyl enthusiasts, so am keen to look into it. I'm aware also bigger intercooler/oil cooler is recommended too, and am scoping out parts for that as we speak. Just keen to get some more hp, handling is belting at with car now sat a shade over 1200kg, I'm ridiculously excited to see how it'll go with 300bhp. Seriously, normal people have sex dreams, I just dream about Volvos going fast with flames shooting out of the exhaust.
    Weird, it's like, I can *feel* that my wallet is afraid.

Anyhoo, if anyone has any advice then let me know asap, as all being well, this will be my birthday treat to myself and will be done by end of October. Might even cancel the track day if it isn't done fully before then.

Peace out all

This user has no status

Thanks
    Incoming with another hairbrained idea here, found a garage called Shemtech(tek?) that will do a 300+hp tune for the 2.0T with a 16T and 550cc injectors if all is well with the health of the engine. Mine flew through at SGR performance on the dyno, so I have been looking into and reckon me and my pal at Carwurx will be able to handle the swap from 12T to 16T, and fit the injectors same time.

Has anyone here got any experience of that particular swap? Have read that if I get a newer 16T rather than the 2002 that would go with my engine, the water/oil cooling lines are on the opposite side, but other than that it's just a straight swap. Does anyone know if this is correct? Won't just be swapping the bits and doing nothing else, will be adding a boost gauge to make sure all is well, and then immediately taking the car to be tuned before any driving is done. Have seen some that are outputting north of 300hp about on their Facebook page and on youtube, couldn't believe it myself but have spoken to the guys there and they seem like genuine 5-cyl enthusiasts, so am keen to look into it. I'm aware also bigger intercooler/oil cooler is recommended too, and am scoping out parts for that as we speak. Just keen to get some more hp, handling is belting at with car now sat a shade over 1200kg, I'm ridiculously excited to see how it'll go with 300bhp. Seriously, normal people have sex dreams, I just dream about Volvos going fast with flames shooting out of the exhaust.
    Weird, it's like, I can *feel* that my wallet is afraid.

Anyhoo, if anyone has any advice then let me know asap, as all being well, this will be my birthday treat to myself and will be done by end of October. Might even cancel the track day if it isn't done fully before then.

Peace out all

I asked the guy who tuned my 2.0T about this and indeed this is possible and fairly easy, however the clutch on these 2.0T's are not that great (Volvo went cheap here), they will be ok up to 260-270 hp but anything over that you will have to upgrade that as well or expect to burn through it really quickly.
    But if you are planning on that anyways, then it's easy peasy (or rather, not that hard) ;-).
    The risk of cylinder cracks on the 2.0T's is a lot less then on the 2.5 T's though, because the wall thickness is similar to the T5's (both the 2.3 and 2.4's) and not as small as the 2.5T's. So the engine will be able to cope with these amounts of power.
    However, keep in mind it will never be a T5 you'll always have the characteristics of the smaller engine capacity.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ed-oorklep For This Useful Post:

ProjectLolvo (Wednesday 1st January 2020)

send it

Thanks
    Ey up all, project is certainly not dead, just been ££££££££££ mad busy with work for a while and didn't want to post something half-a**ed.

As it goes, the Lolvo is now at what I'm comfortable calling mk1, there will beore stuff happening next year but I'm now torn between building a 2006 Fiesta ST150 up as a hill-climb and time-attack project, or starting a 740/940 build for drifting, so not sure what I'm gonna invest my time and money in just yet. Still a few things need tidying on the Lolvo (most important are 4-wheel alignment, braided brake lines) but the most difficult bits have been done.

Not sure how far I'd updated the thread but I'm now up to here with modifications

-16T turbo swap done (more info below)
    -550cc injectors fitted
    -custom remap (no idea on bhp, dyno next month )
    -full custom exhaust fabricated and fitted
    -UltraRacing front and rear upper strut brace
    -Powerflex polybush top engine mount
    -BC Racing BR series coilovers
    -H&R 15mm spacers front and rear
    -Sparco Sprint-L seat and harness with custom seat mounts
    -337mm XC90 brake conversion with custom copper lines
    -cheapo chinese boost gauge and recirc plumbed, for turbo flutter and for extra fast&furious shenanigans
    -Goodyear Eagle f1 as5s on front
    -Contisport winter on the rear

So to start, the turbo was bought from a dude called Andy in Wirral, and was originally from an S60 T5, I bought it for £130, and it wasn't in bad nick. I sent it to the turbocentre in Wakefield, who re-did all seals and gaskets, cleaned it, and re-core'd it with a billet aluminium 6+6 wheel, all for £380, we then fitted that before injectors and mapping. I took it to see Shem in Nottingham for a tune and to have the injectors fitted, long story short, after a lot of messing about and two separate visits, I finally got what I wanted out of them. Jack at Flux Fabrications in the same unit was a lot easier to deal with if I'm honest, and I've heard a lot of good stuff about Shem but he didn't seem all that arsed about me or about the car. Oh well, bygones be bygones and all that crap, Lolvo got done either way.

Jack made me a downpipe and 200-cell Magnaflow sport-cat, which while legal and MoT-able, now sounds ££££££££££ absurd, I absolutely love it and so do my mates. Pops bangs and overrun like a touring car. It definitely needs another tune post-exhaust, but will get around to that next few months. Might pop down to SGR in Trafford again, they were awesome last time I dealt with them.

Where I'm up to now, I'm trying to find another set of Orestes alloys to wrap with semi-slicks (Nankang NS2s sound ok to you lot?), and after a Gripper diff, as well as pricing up a Snabb/do88 intercooler kit (looks crazy pricey though) Also looking at a new steering wheel as mine is knackered and shiny/slippy af when my hands start to sweat, and getting a plan together for first track day with the Type-R lot.
    Should raise a few eyebrows, that's for damn sure.

Floated around a few ideas with my mate who is building a rally car (nutter has 2 original Renault 5 Tour de Corse spec cars) like Tractive dogbox and diff, from the S60 Challenge touring cars in Sweden, but was quoted £7500 for a second hand box so that's probably not going to happen haha. You never know though! Might win the lottery or get into drug-dealing, and end up spending the lot on Volvos, that sounds fun...

Also had the first decent drive out since building the car to mk1 (weather has literally been sh**e since October), went to Buttertubs Pass in the yorkshire dales from where I live near Manchester, all B-roads all day, kicked its head in for a good hour or so, and all was fine. Had a few issues with misfiring and dirty spark plugs but replaced all them and coil packs as well to be safe and all sound.

Anyhow here's some pictures and stuff. Let me know if there's anything I need to be on the lookout for, or if there's something I can be doing as a next step that I've missed. Happy Volvo-ing to you all, and a happy new year (I'm stuck in ££££££££££ work today so *buzzing* with that)

Stay viking yo, peaceeeee

also LOOK AT MY ££££££££££ TSHIRT MY SISTER HAD MADE FOR ME

STRAIGHT MF VOLVOGANGSTA

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Great update, good to see it coming along nicely.

Love the Tshirt
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

ProjectLolvo (Thursday 2nd January 2020)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Nice update and as above, great t-shirt.

As for a gripper diff you could be in luck, contact Dean Wood (WoodyT5 on here), he currently has an M66 with a gripper fitted, that will slip straight in and is about to part with it afaik, you can PM him through VPC or PM me and I'll put you in touch if your interested.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD

28. The Following User Says Thank You to MoleT-5R For This Useful Post:

ProjectLolvo (Thursday 2nd January 2020)

send it

Thanks
    Cheers pal, knocked it out the park with that one didn't she? Haha.

I might well be in need of that yeah. Although does the M66 diff fit with a M56 box? Thought they were completely different, gripper website has a load of different ones for sale and thats just for the M56. If that's not the case though it could be something that I might splash out on with January wage haha.

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Cheers pal, knocked it out the park with that one didn't she? Haha.

I might well be in need of that yeah. Although does the M66 diff fit with a M56 box? Thought they were completely different, gripper website has a load of different ones for sale and thats just for the M56. If that's not the case though it could be something that I might splash out on with January wage haha.

Sorry I meant the whole box (m66 complete with gripper fitted) it would slip straight in as its currently in a S60, as for fitting just the diff into an m56 I couldn't say, I'd imagine it would be different, but I have not checked tbh.

send it

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    Sorry I meant the whole box (m66 complete with gripper fitted) it would slip straight in as its currently in a S60, as for fitting just the diff into an m56 I couldn't say, I'd imagine it would be different, but I have not checked tbh.
    Ah I wondered what that was about, to be honest I've not a clue what the swap would be like. Is there not like an issue what with the M66 being 6-speed and having to have something different to select reverse? I've had an absolute nightmare with linkages on my box (M56 late 2001/early 2002 design) due to it being literally the only gearbox that uses the ball joint things on either end of the linkage instead of the clip+pin like off literally every other Volvo, so if I were to swap to something with more parts readily available with a diff already fitted that might be good for me.

Any clue how much of a pain in the penis a gearbox swap would actually be?

send it

Thanks
    I am assuming it's a M66 FWD as well, not sure what model that would be out of but just hoping it isn't a 4WD, I would be completely out of my depth by that point haha.

Thread Information