Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Aluminium undertray still available to fit V70?

Sorry for all the questions. Still playing catch up reading previous forum posts.

Does anyone know if the aluminium undertray (as LeeT5 and others have fitted to V70R) is still available from suppliers or Volvo? "Parts For Volvo Online" are showing this part as no longer available, Aluminium protecting plate (Volvo part no. 9451784). Is it originally a XC70/90 part?

Without wishing to get into the 'should you, shouldn't you fit one' debate, can anyone tell me if an undertray (aluminium or plastic), was fitted as standard on the V70R P2 2004 manual?

Mine does not currently have one at all and I wish to protect the vulnerable bits of the engine from the extraordinarily dangerous debris that litters the roads, not to mention the proliferation of speed humps and stop all the road muck coating the engine bay.

Thanks

This user has no status

Thanks
    Mine did not, and on LeeT5's advise had one fitted.

Not sue if available anymore
    S60 D5, 2002
    BMW 545i touring

This user has no status

Thanks
    That’s my concern. Drawback now these models are getting on a bit.

I’ll tap up a few stealers and see if they have anything at the back of the stores.

Anyone up for doing me some measurements if I have to resort to getting one fabricated?

Cheers

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Volvo don't recommend fitting them as they can cause temperature issues when the car is used at prolonged high speed.

Looking at your part no you are one number out ?'.

Volvo never fitted them to the V70R or S60R for that reason not sure about the T5 tho .
    My old D5 had one (plastic) but I guess that was to try to keep the noise down.

Last edited by Harvey; Saturday 1st June 2019 at 18:03.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluwale View Post
    That’s my concern. Drawback now these models are getting on a bit.

I’ll tap up a few stealers and see if they have anything at the back of the stores.

Anyone up for doing me some measurements if I have to resort to getting one fabricated?

Cheers
    Ipd sell them but shipping will be OTT then Tax so not really a option unless you like deep empty pockets

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Ipd sell them but shipping will be OTT then Tax so not really a option unless you like deep empty pockets
    Thanks for correction and photos.

You have never noticed any detriment with undertray fitted?

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks

Never fitted it , But Lee has but he is also running a bigger oil cooler on his car.
    The big question is what you call prolonged high-speed sitting on the German autobahn at 150 for a hour ?.
    or what it's all about engine bay temperatures ,oil,coolant,air..

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Volvo don't recommend fitting them as they can cause temperature issues when the car is used at prolonged high speed.

Looking at your part no you are one number out ?'.

Volvo never fitted them to the V70R or S60R for that reason not sure about the T5 tho .
    My old D5 had one (plastic) but I guess that was to try to keep the noise down.
    The >05 T5's don't have it also.

V70 2.4T5 M66 Summum

This user has no status

Thanks
    Seems odd that the design means Volvo had to delete the use of undertrays. Modern cars are covered in them!

I have spoken with Volvo and they no longer list the tray with 4 scoops. There is one with 2 scoops that is 3-4 days direct order from Sweden for £390. Part number 31373992.

If cooling is marginal anyway halving the number of scoops seems a little risky. Is it the D5 oil cooler that can be used?

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts

Never!

I had the alloy undertray fitted for about 3-4 years before I fitted the larger D5 oil cooler and I never noticed any temp issues with it fitted.

I don't actually believe that Volvo ever did test the V70R/S60R with the alloy tray at excess speeds for long periods, I reckon they just thought that because the R engine will be worked hard by enthusiastic Volvo drivers, they thought it would be better to not fit it!? Who knows, we will never know.

Fact is, I've driven thousands of miles with the tray fitted and it's never caused me any problems.
    The one thing it does do, is give me the confidence to drive down unmade roads (if the need be) and it also relieves my mind of any worry regarding anything hitting the sump, oil filter or underside of the engine....debris in the road etc.

You should see the scuffs and scratches from my undertray from over the years!! A plastic one will just fatigue and crack, split etc over time.

It's a no brainer if you ask me and I'm really surprised that Harvey has not fitted his yet!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Not really a problem where the car lives most of the time...

This user has no status

Thanks
    Well if you would rather sell it to me, I'll fit it!

The Volvo dealers I've spoken to so far don't have the 4 scoop version listed. The only one they can find has two scoops with a different part number. So if anyone does have a 4 scoop version that they no longer want I'm interested. The IPD version has servicing holes but no directed scoops. And, as Harvey said, the vat and import duty kills it��

If anyone has any ideas or alternatives I'm all ears. I need something on there with the junk on the motorways these days.

Cheers
    Kev

This user has no status

Thanks
    You can fit a plastic one until you are able to find a metallic one.
    There are plenty of plastic ones here:
    https://en.bildelsbasen.se/se-sv/OEM/8634813/

V70 2.4T5 M66 Summum

This user has no status

Thanks
    That’s what I was thinking. It’s just a pain not being able to get what you want. What’s the duty/vat import from Sweden? Are they fully in EU like we will be com October? Starts at £53 but don’t want to end up paying a load extra as with IPD import.
    Ta

Appreciative
    Thanks
    I'll just add that my 2010, C30 T5 has a plastic undertray with scoops fitted as standard...

This user has no status

Thanks
    That’s what I was thinking. It’s just a pain not being able to get what you want. What’s the duty/vat import from Sweden? Are they fully in EU like we will be com October? Starts at £53 but don’t want to end up paying a load extra as with IPD import.
    Ta
    I didnt pay any import fees to Portugal. They are inside the EU market.

V70 2.4T5 M66 Summum

This user has no status

Thanks
    I checked. Sweden are full member of EU so, for now, no import duties. Who said it’s not an education!

Thread Information