Join Today

Hybrid View

This user has no status

Thanks

Help needed to convert OBD1 to my OBD2 T-5R

I typed title incorrectly lol sorry. My T-5R is running 4.4 ECU and I want to convert to OBD2 port, can anyone help and tell me what I need to do? Obviously a OBD2 port and sone wiring but not sure how to do it as can’t find anything on the net.

Thanks
    Simon
    BMW F80 M3 & modded 854 T-5R

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Is it the non immobiliser M4.4 ecu? If so you should be able to run a wire from pin 7 on the OBD connector to pin B36 on the ecu. Then standard OBD pin 4 to ground and OBD pin 16 is +12V.

Check this thread out
    https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=77600
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

simonc (Monday 27th May 2019)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply.

How will I know if it’s non immobiliser ECU?

New Identity
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simonc View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

How will I know if it’s non immobiliser ECU?
    Depends on who fitted it and what they did to it. If it has been flashed with the non immobiliser map then it will work. But if someone just put a normal m4.4 ecu in then it won't work (unless it is the non immobiliser version of that ecu).

Did someone else fit it then?

Otherwise there is no way to tell without reading the eprom in the ecu.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Ah ok right. I’m ok doing mechanical work and a bit of wiring but know zero about ECU’s and reading codes etc. Hence wanting to fit OBD2 port myself so I can read the codes and have more understanding and be able to maintain the car in full myself.
    I know the previous owner had Shemtek put the tune on the car and quite a bit of work done there. Shem has offered to help so I’m going to ring him in the week. Another reason for wanting OBD2 is to go to the next stage of larger injectors, new fuel pump and MAF but I know OBD2 port is needed for mapping at that stage.

Thanks
    Simon

New Identity
    Thanks
    It's possibly the non immobiliser version then if Shem has mapped it. But yeah have a word with him as only he'll know.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

simonc (Wednesday 5th June 2019)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Haven’t been able to get hold of him this week. Maybe he’s on holiday. Will try next week.

Assuming it’s not immobilised, all I need is a female 16 pin socket and some wire?

I’ve read it’s 3 wires,
    1. Earth
    2. Live, switched or perminant?
    3. Wire to ECU but which pin? I’ve read some say B36 some say B5 or maybe that’s wrong.

What code reader would I need to buy, only want to read engine fault codes.

New Identity
    Thanks
    Live is usually permanent on the OBDII socket.

As for a reader a cheap Bluetooth one of eBay will suffice and download Torque app to connect your phone to read the codes.

I'll see if I can dig out the wiring diagram so you can see which pins to connect to

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

simonc (Wednesday 5th June 2019)

This user has no status

Thanks
    I found a link in this thread
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...-OBD1-too-OBD2

which has the diagram, will have a go later in the week as I’ve got my OBD 16 pin female port now. Just got to work out where I want it in the car and run wires.
    What’s the best way of getting to the back of the ECU plug to get to pin B36? Do you know if their is already a wire connected to that pin that I could tap into. I’m a bit worried of disturbing the loom as it’s old. I can see you just lift out the ECU but not sure how to get to the back of plug/loom.

Thanks

This user has no status

Thanks
    I’ve wired in the live and earth to OBD2 socket just got to run wire through to ECU. Decided to put it in the glovebox. What’s the easiest way to connect a wire to B36? Does the ECU housing just lift out or can I just tap into a wire coming off B36?

Thanks

This user has no status

Thanks
    This may help others who want to wire in OBD2 port as I struggled to find any info.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to simonc For This Useful Post:

kmb (Monday 10th June 2019)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Finally finished install and got it working ok, can read codes etc with Torque app now.

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Good news, any noticed differences?

I was running my 850 T5 on a mapped M4.4 (done by Oblark on here) and it seemed to run much more smoothly and of course more power on the mapped M4.4, with the added bonus of being able to read and reset codes etc. with Torque App.

This user has no status

Thanks
    It was already on a mapped 4.4 by Shemtek when I bought it. All I’ve done is wire in a OBD2 port to read codes. No codes stored. Should be useful though as when I take it to the rolling road they will be able to check the AFR through port as last time they couldn’t check.

New Identity
    Thanks
    Has it got the wideband mod then?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
    Has it got the wideband mod then?
    All I did was run wire to B36 and then earth and live. Can read codes ok. Is their more I need to do? Just assumed they could check my AFR through OBD port. I’m not really up on all this stuff but trying to learn.

New Identity
    Thanks
    No worries, there's lots to learn

Unfortunately it is not possible to read the AFR from the standard ecu as it uses a narrowband O2 sensor which can't read a wide range of AFR. So AFR is not an option via OBD2. You can read the fuel trims and sensor voltages but as it runs on an old OBD protocol the refresh rate is dog slow.

To get full fast AFR (and other parameters) value streaming you need to have the modified ecu binary that the Volvospeed guys have been developing and have a wideband O2 sensor fitted.

More info here:
    https://m44.fandom.com/wiki/M44_Wiki

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

kmb (Sunday 21st July 2019),simonc (Sunday 21st July 2019)

Thread Information