Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

T5 engine code, for the love of god, put my mind at ease !

Hi all. I had been searching for a b5244T5 engine from a 2005 on s60/v70 T5 for best part of a year (they appear to be quite rare !). I found one on ebay back in Feb and bagged it. It had been sitting at work since then whilst I cleared a workspace and I finally got it home and started stripping it. The engine code on the cambelt cover says B5244T5, but the number stamped on the block says B5244T which is a completely different engine from a early V70. The engine serial number on the sticker does however match the serial number stamped under the engine code on the block. Did they just leave off the last number from the code stamped on the block or have I got the wrong engine !. It's got twin VVT and doesn't have the Torx screws to check the valve clearances (just the dimples where they would be) which suggests it's the right engine. Someone put my mind at ease !
    Old Car: 855 T5 in Grey and rust (dead and gone, well, most of it !
    Missus' ride: Citroen C4 coupe 1.6 HDi,
    Modifications: Nowt.....yet !
    Daily driver: 855 R in Black,
    Currently nursing a blown head gasket, new engine on its way !
    Recent addition: Freshly imported Honda Stepwagon,
    Slowly turning into a camper van !

This user has no status

Thanks
    B5244T is the block size shared across the various power output versions on that engine. (That being the 2.4L 5 cylinder.) The B5244T5 is the 260 horse version.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_..._engine#B5244T

62' V60 D3 R Design
    62' V60 T6 AWD R Design polestar'd

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    The best thing to do is check the bore is 81mm and not 83mm (as the wiki article states)
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yeah, I know it's supposed to be 81mm (that's what I bought it for, should be same crank as an R but with the 81mm bore of the old 2.3 T5) but if I crack it open (which I will be doing eventually) and it's the wrong bore I can't send it back !

New Identity
    Thanks
    Going on the thread below it looks like they miss off the last number on the block stamps. From the wiki it should be a B5254T4 for a 2004 V70R.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...number-0507663
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
    Going on the thread below it looks like they miss off the last number on the block stamps. From the wiki it should be a B5254T4 for a 2004 V70R.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...number-0507663
    Thanks for that Dave. That actually puts my mind at rest. It does appear that they don't stamp the last digit, just the 'basic id' number. I might put a call in to Volvo parts and see if they can confirm from the serial number but after seeing your post it looks like it will be okay (and breath out !)

New Identity
    Thanks
    Especially if the serial number on the block matches the sticker on the timing cover, can't see anyone really wanting to go to all the trouble of faking/bodging the sticker just to change the engine code. Depending on where you got it from they probably don't know about the different engine types in that much detail.

Thread Information