Join Today

Hybrid View

This user has no status
    Thanks

Vibration at high speeds (and not unbalanced wheels)

Hi
    Need a bit of advice on likely culprits. I’ve got a vibration through the steering wheel at speeds over 100mph in my 2004 V70R. (Driving on autobahns that is)
    I’ve had the wheels balanced and also swapped fronts to rears but it persists. Shocks are brand new. Tyres are Goodyear F1s.
    My thoughts lead me to a warped brake disc or worn off side axle....
    Am I looking at the right things or will it be related to ball joints or control arms? (No play though)
    Any help appreciated.....

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    1. Check the calipers are not slightly binding.
    2. Propshaft CV's.
    3. Driveshafts inners / outers excess play.
    4. Wheel alignment can also cause vibration.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

uqj83l (Wednesday 13th February 2019)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks Lee. I’ll check all those bits this weekend and report back.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Diagnosed.

It’s the brakes. Front Caliper pistons are seized, or the pads are seized in the front calipers.
    I pryed the pads away from the discs, went for a drive and all my vibration has vanished.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to uqj83l For This Useful Post:

kmb (Thursday 14th February 2019)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Simple way to check this is to comparatively feel the temperature of the front alloy wheels after a drive, will soon tell you if brakes are binding on.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    1. Check the calipers are not slightly binding.
    2. Propshaft CV's.
    3. Driveshafts inners / outers excess play.
    4. Wheel alignment can also cause vibration.
    Quote Originally Posted by uqj83l View Post
    Diagnosed.

It’s the brakes. Front Caliper pistons are seized, or the pads are seized in the front calipers.
    I pryed the pads away from the discs, went for a drive and all my vibration has vanished.
    God I'm good

That's another bacon roll and a coffee you owe me!

Did you keep those calipers that I advised you to keep?
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Nope. I sold em

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uqj83l View Post
    Nope. I sold em
    Oh dear. That's gonna cost you then. £435 each from Volvo and they are exchange only.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kmb View Post
    Simple way to check this is to comparatively feel the temperature of the front alloy wheels after a drive, will soon tell you if brakes are binding on.
    I normally use a thermo probe. Highly accurate and an immediate answer! Just aim it at the disc surface and compare to the opposite side. They should be the same.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Bill, you could try removing the calipers and giving them a real good clean first. Carefully squeeze the pistons out (not all the way) and make sure the rubber sleeve is free from brake dust and dirt and not distorted in any way. Also clean all the dust and baked on brake dust from the caliper slides. However, I feel the culprit will be the stainless steel brake pad guides that screw into the caliper with a single torqs 25 screw. I bet water has got behind and corroded the hole, making it swell and causing the guide to pinch the pads, preventing them from moving away from the disc!

To fix, you'd need to remove the screw, carefully file down the corrosion until dead flat, then repaint and lacquer before refitting.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Tackled the issue this weekend. Removed the calipers from the car. Removed the pistons from the calipers (with difficulty) and fitted new seals, boots, grease, and pads. Went for a drive and all is resolved.
    Name:  65E05965-1FE6-454B-AE5D-538CE97BEBA2.jpeg
Views: 0
Size:  600.2 KB

Name:  3CA4483A-DA7C-437D-9F49-874B23C0DFBE.jpeg
Views: 0
Size:  794.1 KB

14. The Following User Says Thank You to uqj83l For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Monday 4th March 2019)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Nicely done

Thread Information