Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Mapped C30 T5 issue

Hello all,

So I had my c30 mapped over a year ago now and have had an issue with it since day one. During quick WOT gear changes, when going to the next gear and applying throttle I'm getting very little boost. If I change gear slowly or quickly but close to the limiter I don't get this problem. If I get no boost I can quickly lift and go back to WOT and it boosts as normal. If I rev to say 4-5k and have max boost and change there is very little boost and acceleration.

I contacted the place where I had it mapped who informed me it was an ongoing problem (why they didn't tell me this before I don't know) and that they would have a fix for it soon. Long story short I've sent numerous emails and made several telephone calls, been down and had the map updated and still the problem persisted. After a few months of being ignored I managed to get back in touch with them and was told to keep checking their Facebook page to find out when the fix is posted. It's been nearly a year and a half now and I've still not heard anything so I've given up trying to deal with them... The customer service leaves a lot to be desired! At the time of having the map "updated" there was another c30 there with the same issues. The company is well rated in terms of volvo remapping and I've had no luck finding any solutions from them or on any forums.

Apart from this issue I have no other problems. The car revs smoothly there's no hiccups or misfires, it comes into boost fine exactly when it should and holds well.

Any turbo wizards on here know what could be causing this??

Specs engine wise are as follows:

K&N typhoon Air filter w/ hard pipes
    Do88 intercooler w/ hardpipes
    AS performance alloy inlet plenum
    Ported/polished inlet manifold
    Forge recirc valve (stock kit spring)
    Forge actuator (stock kit valve)
    Elevate TCV
    Ferrita 3" downpipe w/ 100 cell race cat
    Jetex cat back
    312bhp 495Nm of torque
    Boost is running 1.2 bar peak (3k rpm) and drops to around 0.8 bar at the limiter
    The car has done around 46k miles

This is the only turbo car I've owned so I don't have a lot of experience with them. The only things I can possibly think of are maybe recirc/actuator issues. I have stronger springs for both that should really be installed (I'll be doing this Saturday to see if it magically fixes it) but again building and holding boost is absolutely fine. Maybe the actuator isn't closing quick enough on gear changes because of the weak spring pressure??

I barely drive it anymore hence the reason it's not been sorted sooner but I'm wanting to sell my car soonish in favour of some Jap 4wd so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Elliot.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Egc30t5 For This Useful Post:

kmb (Thursday 6th December 2018)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Can't help on the problem unfortunately, but was wondering if the block was shimmed as you're making a good lump of extra power?

Also what year of C30 T5 it is (I've got a 2010 one)?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kmb View Post
    Can't help on the problem unfortunately, but was wondering if the block was shimmed as you're making a good lump of extra power?

Also what year of C30 T5 it is (I've got a 2010 one)?
    It's a 2008 (B5254T7). Getting around 300bhp seems to be fairly easy with the usual stuff. I'd definitely recommended checking out the inlet plenum and manifold from AS performance though. Not too expensive and definitely gives it that extra edge. The block isn't shimmed and I wouldn't bother doing it until the engine gets a few more miles on it tbh. If you've got the money and live close to somewhere that does such a thing then I guess it's worth doing for peace of mind. Never heard of a T5 cracking a liner tbf but ive heard of a few cases on the Ford St engine's which is strange. I'm no expert but from what I know it's caused by air bubbles in the small spaces between each liner due to the floating deck design. So aslong as your using decent coolant (waterless is probably the best option) then I don't think you'll have any problems unless your thrashing it all the time and not letting it warm up/down etc.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Egc30t5 For This Useful Post:

kmb (Thursday 6th December 2018)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi
    I am guessing that your remapper will not solve this in another 10 years as I think it is not a map issue. What map are you running and are you still using std injector size
    Do you have access to torque pro to log pids . The mondeo 2.5t suffers the exact same problem once it reaches a certain power level
    I pretty much have got to the cause of the problem but not a complete fix

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Artzzr View Post
    Hi
    I am guessing that your remapper will not solve this in another 10 years as I think it is not a map issue. What map are you running and are you still using std injector size
    Do you have access to torque pro to log pids . The mondeo 2.5t suffers the exact same problem once it reaches a certain power level
    I pretty much have got to the cause of the problem but not a complete fix
    Hey there,

I don't have access to torque Pro but I have a couple of other things I can log pids with. I have done this already and didnt see anything out of the ordinary. I did have an intermittent fault showing an odd value from the tcv. I had considered changing this for an ipd unit but didn't want to end up wasting any money incase that wasn't the fault plus I'd never heard of anyone having problems with the elevate unit. It's a "stage 3" map and both the injectors and fuel pump are standard. I was considering trying an uprated pump but again didn't want to waste any money. The last time I went back to get the map "updated" (some time ago now) there was a c30 on the ramp with the exact same problem so it seems to be a common thing. Like you say though I don't think it's a problem with the map itself.

What fix is it you have come up with btw?

Cheers,

Elliot

This user has no status

Thanks
    Have you tried reaching out to a different tuner and ask for their feedback?
    Have you tried installing the OEM TCV and see if it changes anything?
    I had a Forge actuator when I had a MTE tune. When I decided to go for a custom tune with Gustav, he asked that I reverted back to the OEM actuator and also requested that I had a new OEM TCV installed. Maybe you can reach out to Gustav and ask him about your issue. He's very helpful
    https://www.facebook.com/gustav.urbas.1

V70 2.4T5 M66 Summum

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi Can you put the original map back on, and see if the car is ok then,
    Dave

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    It might help if we knew who, specifically you bought your map from?

Don.
    MTE performance software, Ferrita stainless exhausts, TME stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com

Thread Information