Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

S60 dipped beam upgrade?

Hi guys,
    Owner of a 2007 S60 T5.
    This time of year, with more driving in the dark, I really notice how woeful my dipped beams are. Night time driving becomes quite stressful with such poor visibility.
    I experienced the same with my previous 2005 model so fitted the best bulbs I could, but even then, the improvement was marginal.
    I have seen many threads complaining of similar on US forums but not sure of the best upgrade options?
    Is it just a matter of upgrading the bulbs or fitting whole new lights?
    The projectors themselves are still shiny and the plexi glass is clear....
    Any advice appreciated!

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Firstly I'd run the car into your local garage to make sure the beam alignment is correct. Doing my job, I see many cars with incorrect alignment, which just adds to the problem.

I'm guessing your dipped beams are H7 bulbs?

Are you headlights Projectors or reflectors?

Osram Nightbreakers yield great results but if you wanna go with more light output, then you should fit HIDs, making sure you fit the correct type of bulb depending on your light unit - or you'll just have loads of annoying light scatter, blinding oncoming drivers and not benefiting you on the road.

If you go HIDs, then do not fit anything higher than 5500k or you'll get less light on the road.
    Most ebay kits are 6000k. They will give you a bluish tinge and an ok light output. Bearing in mind that OE bulbs are around the 2700k range and a stock HID on a S60R will be around 4300k.

I have replaced my stock Philips D2R bulb 4300k with an Osram Xenark 5500k bulb and the light output is fantastic. Brighter, whiter and no blue tinge, accept around the halo from a distance, which is characteristic of HIDs. The point is, the light on the road is very, very white!

You should also check the condition of the reflector material as if it has degraded, then light output is affected. Pointless fitting new bulbs if the light unit itself is knackered!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks Lee, appreciate the info.
    My lights are xenons and am pretty sure the dipped beam bulbs are D2R bulbs like yours.
    Lens are pretty good, polished them not so long ago. The worrying thing is the lights do flicker occasionally. I suspect an earthing problem as the drivers side central locking and fuel filler release are very temperamental too...
    HID bulbs have recommended these to me, I wonder if those or the Osrams would be brghter.
    https://www.hids4u.co.uk/D2R-Philips...-HID-Bulb.html

Cheers!
    Last edited by alolympic; Wednesday 5th December 2018 at 21:08.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    That's a lot of money to spend on two bulbs. The Osrams Xenarc (which is what I use) are 5500k as opposed to the Philips which are 4800k. IMHO, the Osrams give a sharper, crisper, whiter light than a stock 4300k bulb and the Philips 4800k. They also cost half the price for a pair compared to the Philips!

If your lights are Projectors then the bulbs will be D2S, not D2R type.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thread Information