Join Today
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

Strange howl from my 850R

Hopefully this works........

My 850 R howls under boost, anything above 80% throttle. It is really loud.

Goes like a train, just cant figure out why its doing it.

Didn't used to do it.

No loss of boost.

Baffled.........
    62' V60 D3 R Design
    62' V60 T6 AWD R Design polestar'd

This user has no status

Thanks

Longer video
    62' V60 D3 R Design

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Mine does something similar. Think it will be a boost leak somewhere, a small one won't effect performance much. I've got a dump valve on mine and I suspect that's what's making a noise on mine. Your best bet would be to use a boost pressure adapter so you can charge the pipework with an airline whilst listening for leaks.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk
    Old Car: 855 T5 in Grey and rust (dead and gone, well, most of it !
    Missus' ride: Citroen C4 coupe 1.6 HDi,
    Modifications: Nowt.....yet !
    Daily driver: 855 R in Black,
    Currently nursing a blown head gasket, new engine on its way !
    Recent addition: Freshly imported Honda Stepwagon,
    Slowly turning into a camper van !

This user has no status

Thanks
    I've inspected from the turbo to the top of the intercooler. The reducer pipe on top of the turbo has seperated internally and I thought I'd found the culprit. Got a replacement and its still exactly the same...

I would suspect that if there was a little leak it would seep a bit of oil.

I wonder if the intercooler is where the problem lies.....

Will have to get underneath sometime soon to look further. I have a homemade RIP kit on it so most things are in tip top condition.

I want to hear the T5 sing, not some load howl that drowns out everything!!
    62' V60 D3 R Design

This user has no status

Thanks
    Had a similar noise when i fitted an 18T to my `97 T5 It was the turbo howling

It was due to too much boost but i liked the pull so left it as was.

When the boost and power reduced the noise stopped.

Because you have made your own RIP kit you have to watch the boost. You may be pulling far more than required for the same power?

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

This user has no status

Thanks
    I have a boost gauge. She only max's out 11/12 psi.

She does have a rica ecu fitted. Maybe I should try the original back in it and see if it sorts itself out. Least I would know either way.
    62' V60 D3 R Design

This user has no status

Thanks
    I had the equivalent remap HML 310 i believe it was and it was designed for the 18T.

The noise is airflow though the turbo as i had also modified my air filter quite drastically as you have also modified your airflow.

The more boost you have the more air is required also and quickly.

You may probably find if you return your airflow back to standard the noise will go.

Doesn`t your Rica overide the std. ECU boost figure ?

What boost guage do you have as a 30psi one does not read properly they are not calibrated accurately. They seem to idle so low and therefore the boost is equivalently lower?......I ended up with a digital boost guage which was really accurate.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo. View Post

Goes like a train, just cant figure out why its doing it.

Didn't used to do it.

No loss of boost.

Baffled.........
    Hold on a minute. Timo said and I quote, "It didn't used to do it". Now I assume by that you mean, you haven't changed anything, now all of a sudden it's making the noise?

So, If you refit your OE airbox, stock ECU or whatever, you're not diagnosing the problem, you're simply masking it!

That's the same as turning a blind eye to a bald tyre! Just because you choose not to look at the bald tyre, doesn't mean it'll suddenly gain tread. Eventually, it'll cause you to either get a puncture, have an accident or you'll get a fine and 3 points OR in your case, masking the symptoms will just mean the issue will remain until something seizes or goes bang!

I think that Keith is right in some respects that the fault lies with the Turbo but not for good reasons.

I've heard similar noises on turbos on BMs and Peugeots (they like eating turbos) and it sounds like the impeller shaft may have too much play in the bearings, causing the turbine blades to foul the body of the turbo under extreme high boost. When it does this you get the high pitched whining noise your experiencing. If you continue to replicate the symptoms, this could result in catastrophic turbo failure and your engine ingesting the small metal fragments. You won't need to be doing much more than 3000 rpm for that to happen.

Can I ask, what grade engine oil do you use?
    Last edited by LeeT5; Sunday 4th November 2018 at 03:27.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    When I say it didn't used to do it, I cant remember if it changed after replacing the original ECU with the RICA one. The car has been on/off the road numerous times in storage over the past five years, usually for the winter.

Surely putting the original ECU back in (if its a high boost issue) will point towards that being the culprit.

I still have some investigative work with the remaining boost pipes and intercooler.

Its not a high pitched noise and doesn't sound like something bad is happening.

I have a cheap analogue boost gauge so as stated likely not the most accurate but its always been on so I know what the standard ECU would boost to.

Using semi synthetic 5w40 as the manual suggests. ECP stuff.

T.
    62' V60 D3 R Design

This user has no status

Thanks
    If you have ever heard a turbo vane touching the sides you would know without doubt what the noise is ....it is a terrible screech.

The sound you are hearing is just the sound of the air being thrust through a narrowed opening from a large one at certain pressure you will get a howl.

Just think about the Vulcan bomber in flight when at a certain airspeed it opens the throttle and you get the famous Vulcan Howl......same but different.

Or what about the Brabham V16 race car... it is all the speed of air going through different shapes at a different force.

I would put my money on your home made RIP kit?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
    If you have ever heard a turbo vane touching the sides you would know without doubt what the noise is ....it is a terrible screech.

The sound you are hearing is just the sound of the air being thrust through a narrowed opening from a large one at certain pressure you will get a howl.

Just think about the Vulcan bomber in flight when at a certain airspeed it opens the throttle and you get the famous Vulcan Howl......same but different.

Or what about the Brabham V16 race car... it is all the speed of air going through different shapes at a different force.

I would put my money on your home made RIP kit?
    Love the Vulcan..........

Gonna try the standard ECU back in when I'm off at the end of the week and take from there. I think I'm being over picky with the car.

Thanks

T.
    62' V60 D3 R Design

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Love the Vulcan..........

Gonna try the standard ECU back in when I'm off at the end of the week and take from there. I think I'm being over picky with the car.

Thanks

T.
    If you just fit the standard ECU then clearly boost will be reduced (stock) so your not going to replicate the symptoms. What will that achieve? The leak, if it is one, will still be there.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

If in doubt thrash it and see
    what happens
    Thanks
    Did you tie the dog up to the back bumper maybe?

This user has no status

Thanks

Still doing it.....
    62' V60 D3 R Design

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Sounds unique

Have you tried pressurising the intake system to see if there is a leak?
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I had the front end off at the start of Lockdown (to rust treat the wings). Had the intercooler out and tested it. It was fine. Plugged up the little oil weep hole to make sure it wasn't that. Checked all pipe work and hose joints. Nothing a miss. As previously suggested, it is like the air howling. It's fricking loud and kinda masks the burple of the 5 cyl when on full chat which is a shame...

Baffled...
    62' V60 D3 R Design

Appreciative
    Thanks
    I had a very simlar noise in my old MR2 Turbo when one of the vanes on my inlet side of the turbo had a chunk missing out of it, some debris in the air system was thought to have caused the damage... Had to rebuild the turbo.

My advice is to pop off the air intake to turbo pipe off and feel around/take some pics with your phone, just to check the vanes look OK.

It might be a long shot but you've tried many things it appears.

Other option is a soft boost pipe collapsing under load and making a whistle effect, would check that all boost pipes are rigid, your homemade RIP kit sounds the most likely place to start...

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Have you checked the turbo for play in the shaft? You should be able to get a couple of fingers into the turbo inlet and see if you can wiggle the shaft. Also see here https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=211042

Also, listening to your videos with headphones on it seems like there is a hissing noise as well (correct me if I'm wrong). So there may be a leak somewhere, even if a small one.

Pretty easy to make a pressuring bung. Grab a 63mm pvc end cap and a tyre valve off ebay, drill the end cap and fit the valve then use it to pressurise the intake after the MAF. I did this with mine and found the injector seals were leaking.

Breaks in the intake piping can be really hard to find especially if it is a small one.
    Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Sunday 17th May 2020 at 23:09.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

...here we go again...
    Thanks

Still doing it.....
    Definitely turbo.

This user has no status

Thanks

Name:  850 turbo p1.jpeg
Views: 0
Size:  232.3 KB

Name:  850 turbo p2.jpeg
Views: 0
Size:  233.4 KB

No play in the shaft. Spins freely.
    62' V60 D3 R Design

Thread Information