Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Head gaskets and B5244T5 bottom ends !

Hi guys, not been on for a while but could use some advice. Think the head gasket on my R is starting to let go (not great as it hasn't really done a lot since I put the car back on the road) and I'm thinking of bodging it for now whilst sorting out a new engine.
    When I bought the car several years ago the head was in the boot which got a full rebuild and some light porting/polishing etc. The bottom end however wasn't great and I'd always intended to rebuild it at some time so might as well be now !. However I was toying with the idea of getting a B5244T5 block, rebuilding that and sticking the R head on. As far as I can tell (please correct me if I'm wrong) but the B5244T5 from the last of the second generation V70/S60 T5's has a 81mm bore (same as the 2.3) but is stroked to give a slightly larger capacity. Would this be a useful upgrade whilst also giving a better chance of perhaps finding one in usable condition due to them being a little newer or is it not worth the effort ?. Any thoughts, ideas gratefully received.
    Old Car: 855 T5 in Grey and rust (dead and gone, well, most of it !
    Missus' ride: Citroen C4 coupe 1.6 HDi,
    Modifications: Nowt.....yet !
    Daily driver: 855 R in Black,
    Currently nursing a blown head gasket, new engine on its way !
    Recent addition: Freshly imported Honda Stepwagon,
    Slowly turning into a camper van !

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nobananas View Post
    Hi guys, not been on for a while but could use some advice. Think the head gasket on my R is starting to let go (not great as it hasn't really done a lot since I put the car back on the road) and I'm thinking of bodging it for now whilst sorting out a new engine.
    When I bought the car several years ago the head was in the boot which got a full rebuild and some light porting/polishing etc. The bottom end however wasn't great and I'd always intended to rebuild it at some time so might as well be now !. However I was toying with the idea of getting a B5244T5 block, rebuilding that and sticking the R head on. As far as I can tell (please correct me if I'm wrong) but the B5244T5 from the last of the second generation V70/S60 T5's has a 81mm bore (same as the 2.3) but is stroked to give a slightly larger capacity. Would this be a useful upgrade whilst also giving a better chance of perhaps finding one in usable condition due to them being a little newer or is it not worth the effort ?. Any thoughts, ideas gratefully received.
    Assuming your R is a 2535cc 03>07 model?

If so, you'll need to have the B5244T5 block bored out from 81mm to 83mm then transplant your internals to the new block.
    Highlighted your text above, statement is correct.
    Don't forget you'll need to Shim the block also to prevent the now thinner liners from cracking.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Assuming your R is a 2535cc 03>07 model?

If so, you'll need to have the B5244T5 block bored out from 81mm to 83mm then transplant your internals to the new block.
    Highlighted your text above, statement is correct.
    Don't forget you'll need to Shim the block also to prevent the now thinner liners from cracking.
    Thanks for the reply Lee. Apologies my post may not have been very clear. I have an 850R which obviously has the 2.3 with 81mm bore and 90mm stroke. The later 2.4 turbo engine (as used in the series 1 V70R) has a 83mm bore and 90mm stroke but the 2.4 (B5244T5) used in the late series 2 v70/s60 t5's has the same 81mm bore as the 2.3 but has a longer stroke at 93mm to give it a 2.4 capacity. It was this engine I was interested in as it has thicker cylinder walls than the usual 2.4 or 2.5 turbos but is stroked to a slightly larger capacity. They come as VVT as standard but I assume I can throw my 850R head on the block without any issues.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nobananas View Post
    They come as VVT as standard but I assume I can throw my 850R head on the block without any issues.
    I understand what your saying now.

AFAIK, it would be ok. The VVT is all in the head, not the block. Oil pumps are the same. Only thing being an issue is the stroke, which as you say is made by the Crank. So, to get the same 90mm stroke as your 850R, I assume you'll be using your 850R crank?
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks Lee. No I plan to use the complete bottom end. My thinking is that a slight increase in capacity to 2.4 may be beneficial and possibly be a good starting point for further tuning without the worry of thinner cylinder walls with the 83mm bore 2.4's and 2.5's. How much difference it would make in reality is something else ! I also would have to see which rods would fit, I assume they would be the same as the later 2.5 R which has the same stroke but larger cylinders.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

This user has no status

Thanks
    Been away from Volvo for a while now but looking up my paperwork i think you should check part numbers for various rods as i believe on your later 2.4 the gudgeon pin height was altered for the longer stroke and not the rod or crank thro thus keeping all parts easier including the bore staying at 81mm.

On some 2.4 the cam lift alters slightly so they are different cams also depending on model?

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
    Been away from Volvo for a while now but looking up my paperwork i think you should check part numbers for various rods as i believe on your later 2.4 the gudgeon pin height was altered for the longer stroke and not the rod or crank thro thus keeping all parts easier including the bore staying at 81mm.

On some 2.4 the cam lift alters slightly so they are different cams also depending on model?
    Ah, never considered that, definitely something I will have to check into, thanks.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Thread Information