Hi All

Long time since I've been here. The trusty old V70 has been chugging along fine for years but last week it failed its MOT due to both tyres contacting the wheel arches on full lock.

I don't recall when this started happening but it was noticeable after last heavy snow. Turns out I've lost a bolt holding the plastic trim on the offside but its also making contact with metal on the nearside.

I haven't changed the tyres or wheels but a bit of research pointed to the steering lock limiter blocks bolted to the front of each wishbone (control arm). Taking a look, they are not only both worn but they've clearly already been reversed once in the past. Somebody had a similar problem before I bought the car 8 years ago and switched nearside for offside and turned them upside down.

It could be a tracking problem and I will get that checked but you usually see uneven tyre wear and can feel a lightly "skatey" feeling on the steering when driving straight. I have neither, but both wheels have been curbed since I last had it done.

I can see why they are both worn. I have to use full lock each way to turn my car around every time I set off from home. Each time, the metal plate attached to the wheel hub rubs against the plastic block and both are now about 2mm worn. They really need replacing but here's my problem.

Mine don't look like any I've seen on the internet.

Broadly, they come in two types:

• Horizontally bolted to the front of the control arm. These seem colour-coded to match different tyre sizes
  • Vertically attached to the control arm with what looks like a plastic rivet

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vo...w=1396&bih=657

Having viewed dozens of images, mine don't match any I've seen. Mine are bolted vertically with 12mm bolts. They are a composite of metal and plastic; flat bottomed U shaped metal bracket and black half cylinder plastic. The nearest don't look wide enough to fit on the 37mm wide control arm.

Unless I can find a replacement, I'll have to try to repair them, which is a whole new can of worms.

Has anyone ever seen these before? Do I have a weird pair of wishbones?

I have a 2004 V70 T5 SE.

Any pointers welcome.

Cheers
VitchName:  My Offside Steering Lock Block.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  759.2 KBName:  Limiter Type 2.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  9.4 KB