Join Today

Hybrid View

This user has no status

Thanks

Weird Steering Lock limiter blocks - can't find replacements

Hi All

Long time since I've been here. The trusty old V70 has been chugging along fine for years but last week it failed its MOT due to both tyres contacting the wheel arches on full lock.

I don't recall when this started happening but it was noticeable after last heavy snow. Turns out I've lost a bolt holding the plastic trim on the offside but its also making contact with metal on the nearside.

I haven't changed the tyres or wheels but a bit of research pointed to the steering lock limiter blocks bolted to the front of each wishbone (control arm). Taking a look, they are not only both worn but they've clearly already been reversed once in the past. Somebody had a similar problem before I bought the car 8 years ago and switched nearside for offside and turned them upside down.

It could be a tracking problem and I will get that checked but you usually see uneven tyre wear and can feel a lightly "skatey" feeling on the steering when driving straight. I have neither, but both wheels have been curbed since I last had it done.

I can see why they are both worn. I have to use full lock each way to turn my car around every time I set off from home. Each time, the metal plate attached to the wheel hub rubs against the plastic block and both are now about 2mm worn. They really need replacing but here's my problem.

Mine don't look like any I've seen on the internet.

Broadly, they come in two types:

• Horizontally bolted to the front of the control arm. These seem colour-coded to match different tyre sizes
    • Vertically attached to the control arm with what looks like a plastic rivet

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vo...w=1396&bih=657

Having viewed dozens of images, mine don't match any I've seen. Mine are bolted vertically with 12mm bolts. They are a composite of metal and plastic; flat bottomed U shaped metal bracket and black half cylinder plastic. The nearest don't look wide enough to fit on the 37mm wide control arm.

Unless I can find a replacement, I'll have to try to repair them, which is a whole new can of worms.

Has anyone ever seen these before? Do I have a weird pair of wishbones?

I have a 2004 V70 T5 SE.

Any pointers welcome.

Cheers
    VitchName:  My Offside Steering Lock Block.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  759.2 KBName:  Limiter Type 2.jpg
Size:  9.4 KB

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitch View Post
    Unless I can find a replacement, I'll have to try to repair them, which is a whole new can of worms.

Cheers
    Vitch
    Repair is probably not possible. Refurbishment options seem to be:

• Elongate the bolt holes backwards a couple of mils and place a 2 mil shim on the inside front edge to bring the front edge forward. Should last another 8 years or so.
    • Fill the wear marks with araldite or some other epoxy resin. Seems a bit of a bodge.
    • Cover the outside with a layer of tough rubber. Also sounds like a bodge.
    • Drill a couple of small holes at 90 degrees to the wear and screw some self-tapping screws in to take the brunt of contact. Could work but could just break off the heads
    • File and drill and add a counter-sunk metal plate at the front of the blocks. Still doesn't sound great.

The only option that I think will work is elongating the bolt holes and putting a shim behind the block to shift the whole block forward 2mm. Same faces touch and it's strong, as per original design.

This just makes it slightly adjustable...

Thoughts?

Cheers
    Vitch

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Maybe the wishbones are some weird oem part that has been fitted in the past that had that type lock stops

An option is to get new wishbones and newer type lock stops.

Another option is to get some copies 3D printed.....
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks Chaps

I just tried Volvo. The part they suggested (using the vehicle reg for reference) doesn't look like mine from the diagram. It's a horizontal mount, P/N 31212191. It's also £40 for the pair, whereas it's £12 on ebay.

Looks like I do have weird OEM wishbones

Hey ho, time to do some drilling.

Cheers
    VitchName:  V70.png
Size:  257.0 KB

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitch View Post
    Thanks Chaps

I just tried Volvo. The part they suggested (using the vehicle reg for reference) doesn't look like mine from the diagram. It's a horizontal mount, P/N 31212191. It's also £40 for the pair, whereas it's £12 on ebay.

Looks like I do have weird OEM wishbones

Cheers
    VitchName:  V70.png
Size:  257.0 KB
    Are your wishbones alloy or steel

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I guess yours are like this . so a 2007 year car .

Last edited by Harvey; Monday 24th September 2018 at 18:58.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    I guess yours are like this . so a 2007 year car .

Er... nope. There's no recess where the stoppers bolt onto the wishbone, which I think is alloy. I'm now convinced they are a weird OEM version of wishbone that didn't catch on.

With no sign anywhere on the internet of stoppers that look like mine, even taking it to a garage to fix would be a pain. Volvo would convince them they have the correct part, ship it, only to find it doesn't fit and back to square one.

So, I (eventually) drilled a slot into the mounting holes which gave me an extra 2mm of adjustment, approximately the depth of wear on the plastic, shimmed them and bolted them back on. A quick test and no signs of rubbing, turning circle no worse than the tanker it always was. Yay! I modded my Volvo myself!!!

Must get new drill bits. My Dad's old set (now about 50 years old) don't seem that sharp. And who measures in 64ths of an inch these days?

Just got to take it back to the MOT centre now and hope it passes. Must remember to not be aggressive hitting the steering lock. Clearly, powered steering is powerful!

Back killing me, grazed knuckles but glad I can still wield a spanner if I have to.

Hope I never have to again except maybe my kid's bike or a bit of Meccano. Electronics is sooo much easier!

Thanks for your help, Guys.

Cheers
    Vitch

PS - if it fails, I'm gonna cry. Then just get new wishbones fitted.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    There should be two metal plates fitted to the wheel arch liners, one each side. These are not expensive and get be obtained from Volvo.

Secondly, regards the lock stop, why don't you just get them from Volvo? They go off your chassis number for parts, so should be correct.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    TWO metal plates?

Ah. I may have lost one of those at some point...

That could be a complication...

Thanks for letting me know.

Cheers
    Vitch

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Glad you found a solution, even if it may not last forever... gives some breathing space.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hardly worth the effort for £20 a corner!
    Seriously?

If it were £200 a corner, I’d understand but I’d just get two new units from Volvo, bolt on - job done.[/QUOTE]

Hi LeeT5

If the parts fitted, I would pay the £20 a corner but they don't, by about 18mm. I don't have Volvo wishbones, at least none I can identify... Mine are about twice the size where the limiters bolt on.

So, no option for an easy fix. No replacements available that I've seen.

I do love my Volvo but I can't understand or explain why mine has parts that seem a bit deformed compared to everyone else's. Maybe its because it was built in Belgium. I honestly can't think why both wishbones would have been replaced for OEM parts.

I had a beloved dog many years ago. We bought him as a pup and he lived to 18yo. Smart, lovely and healthy but as he grew up he looked like two dogs welded together. Long, wiry hair at the front and sleek, short hair at the back. Great dog but God only knows what his parents were or how he turned out like that.

Cheers
    Vitch

This user has no status

Thanks
    It passed

The tester worked for Volvo for 19 years. He told me they used to come out of the factory with the wheels rubbing the wheel arches. Shocking design fault!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Vitch For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Tuesday 25th September 2018)

Thread Information