Join Today

Thread: Which volvo?

Hybrid View

This user has no status

Thanks

Which volvo?

Hi everyone, im new to volvo,s ive been researching as much as possible to get up to spec with which would be the best/strongest motor to lightly tune for weekend fun but daily driving? I was convinced the famous t5 would be tje one until i saw a 3.0 six and thought if it was turbo,d how easy would it be and to what cost compared with tuning a t5???? Hopefully someone on here will have experience of the 2 motors, thanks in advance 👍

Old Fat Git with Grey Beard
    Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Thanked 102,999 Times in 1,826 Posts
    Tbh either is probably a good choice with a manual gearbox, probably more options for the T5 though

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Modifying a T5 would be easier than adding a turbo to a NA 6 cyl engine, for a start the I6 would have a higher compression.

Depends on how much you are willing to spend.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status

Thanks
    As Dave said it is all about what your are willing to spend but a T5 is probably the way to go, if maintained they are a cracking engine and with only a remap, perhaps a slightly bigger turbo and a modified downpipe/exhaust significant gains can be made and it will still retain its reliability factor. Whatever you choose to do there is a wealth of knowledge and experience on here. Welcome.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Without question, in my view, you should buy a post '06 S60 or V70 T5 with the wider bore 2.4l engine which is virtually identical to the concurrent but very troublesome wider bore 2.5l 'R' engine.

With a simple software upgrade you will achieve 335bhp with 480nm of torque, that comes without making any physical changes. If you do replace the standard exhaust, both downpipe and 'cat back' then you will be very close to 360bhp with 500nm.... no larger injectors or work on the standard KKK turbo are needed.

With that higher figure you could add a good quality aftermarket intercooler that will not so much improve outputs but will prevent the very clever ECU intervening if it sees.... or predicts higher temperatures, when it will pull back on output targets in line with its component protection protocols.

Do not under any circumstances consider bigger injectors or turbo reworking, they all require hours of rolling road work and road work to perfect the required ECU calibrations..... and do not under any circumstances consider flat shift..... that will ££££ your clutch....

Don.
    Last edited by don kalmar union; Thursday 6th September 2018 at 16:53.
    MTE performance software, Ferrita stainless exhausts, TME stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies, thats just the reason i joined this site, i did not know the 06 cars were better engines bigger turbos, the only thing i worry about with the v70 is the weight, and is the v70r engine unreliable?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
    Without question, in my view, you should buy a post '06 S60 or V70 T5 with the wider bore 2.4l engine which is virtually identical to the concurrent but very troublesome wider bore 2.5l 'R' engine.

With a simple software upgrade you will achieve 335bhp with 480nm of torque, that comes without making any physical changes. If you do replace the standard exhaust, both downpipe and 'cat back' then you will be very close to 360bhp with 500nm.... no larger injectors or work on the standard KKK turbo are needed.

With that higher figure you could add a good quality aftermarket intercooler that will not so much improve outputs but will prevent the very clever ECU intervening if it sees.... or predicts higher temperatures, when it will pull back on output targets in line with its component protection protocols.

Do not under any circumstances consider bigger injectors or turbo reworking, they all require hours of rolling road work and road work to perfect the required ECU calibrations..... and do not under any circumstances consider flat shift..... that will ££££ your clutch....

Don.
    Hi Don are you still doing MTE REMAPS,, ?
    Dave

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks

MTE software.

Yes, best to call me 01494 785508.

Don.
    MTE performance software, Ferrita stainless exhausts, TME stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to don kalmar union For This Useful Post:

davebb (Thursday 11th October 2018)

This user has no status

Thanks
    How long does it take, as there was a forum user that you was doing 185 d5 and after he sent you the file from the softloader download,
    he still did not have the mte tune after 2 weeks,
    I understand people get unwell and other problems,
    There has been a lot of users asking what tune to get as they want to get a tune,
    and now shark tuning is no more as others have told me,
    I would like to tell them to get a MT tune from you, but not if it is going to be over 2 weeks,
    Thanks Dave

Thread Information