Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

850 front brake upgrade

Looking for recommendations for a fast road front brake upgrade kit for an 850. I installed OEM 302mm disks and police pads a few years ago but it's about time for replacements now so I'm trying to work out my options. The AP 325mm kit seems to have been the way to go in the past, but that doesn't seem to be available any more now.

I'm afraid I'm not very clued on on brakes, so in basic terms should I be going for 4 or 6 pot (I assume 8 is overkill)? Fixed or floating? And what brands are good? I want strong but reliable, the car hasn't been on a track yet, and even if it does it would still be going back on the road afterwards. Better is fine, I don't need nor can I afford best.

Appreciative
    Thanks
    What wheels do you have? If it's a standard 16" T5 rim on the 850 you're really restricted for disc upgrades...

If in doubt thrash it and see
    what happens
    Thanks
    Prfesume you wont have the standard columba wheels if you got 302mm discs?

I put the bigger discs on (changed wheels to Perfos so they would go in) and used DS2500 pads - worked a treat for me. On new but OEM spec caliipers. They made a bit more dust and a bit more noise, but bit well, even in a fully laden emergency stop from 80mph.

Just used standard set up at the rear as they dont do a great deal in normal circumstances. Not sure what circumstances WOULD really give the rears too much to do, I guess carryng heavy loads, towing and lots of people in. Upgraded pads easily available for those anyway.
    Woz
    Last edited by woz; Monday 3rd September 2018 at 21:43. Reason: missed a bit out

this member hass no status
    Thanks
    Just my two penny worth, 302's with Pagid blues + Pagid blue rear. Vast inprovement over standard set up. Great on track. Only ever faded twice, both times on the road.
    320's with adapter kit with DS2500 + standard rear. No improvement at all. Ferodo pads were awful. A backward step. Had to get rid of the DS's they were that bad, went to standard Volvo pads as an interim.
    320's with adapter kit with standard Volvo pads F&R. Much better than previous, not far off the Pagids in general use. Not as good when really going for it but 90% there.
    320's with adapter kit with XP20 F&R. Excellent hot or cold, winter or summer. Only reason I changed to the AP's was that I had a pair of calipers sitting on the shelf.
    AP 330's with XP20 F&R. Expensive but the best I've had. Not a hint of fade and perform fantastically at any temperature. Plenty of feel and progression.
    Choice of brakes is a can of worms, very subjective. Nearly as bad as tyre recommendations. lol
    Last edited by thunderace; Tuesday 4th September 2018 at 13:13. Reason: paragraphs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thunderace For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Thursday 6th September 2018)

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Depends on how much you want to spend!

I'm doing the 320mm conversion on my fronts, mainly because I don't have the money to go crazy but also because the current calipers need rebuilding and will need new pads/discs anyway.

Picked up the 2 calipers+brackets for £80. Just need to get the rest of the parts now
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Sorry, I had an old email address registered here so I wasn't getting notifications.

The car is on OEM 18" Pegs. However I have a set of Titans, and I suspect that if it ever went on a track, it might handle better on those, in which case the disks would need to fit under them.

It was on 280mm disks when I bought it, so when it started to fade I had a local indie install the 302mm OEM caliper carriers and disks, with standard OEM pads. I've always had a bit of fade on back roads (Irish back roads, very windy), however I'm not sure if that's the pads or a duff install; one of the disks has always sounded a little warped, and I'm only starting to get a little confidence at working on cars now.

Obviously I don't want to spend a fortune here, but I'd like to start upgrading the engine in the next year or two, and I've always subscribed to the belief that brakes (and tyres) come first. And I'd like to think ahead, I don't want to fit a €300-500 setup now and find that I would've been better off spending another €200-300 if I decide to take it on a track in a few years. I'm happy to spend a grand, or even a little more, if it's worth the spend.

If it's not worth the spend, if it's just silly, that's fine by me!

Sorry for wittering!

Thread Information