Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Possible ETS issue

Hi there,
    I have always roamed the forums but never posted so hello to everyone. I have a 2000 C70 2.3 t5.

I am in need of some help and advice!
    Firstly I opolgise for the long winded story but it's been a hectic couple of days haha.

I recently fitted a dv26 style BOV and turbo blanking place. Since fitting I've been getting ETS issues.
    It ran perfectly to begin with until it started running really rough, dropping below idle and eventually a few days later cut out completely. I unplugged the MAF and it ran okay again, so replaced that and it made no difference.
    I did some research and found the ETS/ETM to be a common fault but none of the posts I read seemed the same to mine.
    Also I have found out since then that mine was one of the models to have been recalled to Volvo for the update.
    I must note I have not had the ETS light on the dash, only on the code reader.
    Previously had ABS and Brake light on the dash and read somewhere these can be linked to the ETS but unsure on this.

I thought the BOV could have been faulty so replaced it with a spare my friend had off a VAG 1.8t and it ran sweet again until returning home and it started dropping on idle.
    I had a new inlet manifold to replace anyway so I decided to clean out the TB and ensure everything air/boost related was tight and fitted correctly. Again it ran perfect until I went to my mates garage to read any codes it was throwing and it was still getting "ETS Warning Lamp."
    I have now tried 3 different BOV's and it seems to run different on each of them. Which has made me think it could be vacuum related but I have no idea.
    Currently it is drivable and still boosts but it still has a slight drop at idle, just not as bad as it had been.

Any advice at all will be much appreciated.

I have attached some pictures of the code reader, before and after the BOV fitting and the TB. Don't know if it will help but it's hurting my brain at this point haha.

Before BOV fitting:

After fitting:

Currently with 1.8T BOV/recirc valve:
    Last edited by Curleywhirly; Saturday 11th August 2018 at 15:09.

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    I'm not an expert on these, but ME7 engine management and dump valves don't go well together from what I remember, a plumbed back/recirc type are required to keep things sweet from what I recall as the system is very sensitive to changes like this due to the metered air going missing and throwing things out, if you blank the dv port does the issue go away..??

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    I'm not an expert on these, but ME7 engine management and dump valves don't go well together from what I remember, a plumbed back/recirc type are required to keep things sweet from what I recall as the system is very sensitive to changes like this due to the metered air going missing and throwing things out, if you blank the dv port does the issue go away..??
    That would make a lot of sense.
    We tried crimping the vac line going to the first BOV and it did stop so that's when we tried the 1.8t recirc valve, that works better but obviously don't have anywhere to recirculate it to yet.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Back in a V70 and happy!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,272 Posts
    I had a similar issue last year especially with the idling, and I was suspecting the ETM. Turned out to be a corroded jubilee clip on the hose off the bottom of the intercooler, with the hose basically working it's way off.

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foammanmark View Post
    I had a similar issue last year especially with the idling, and I was suspecting the ETM. Turned out to be a corroded jubilee clip on the hose off the bottom of the intercooler, with the hose basically working it's way off.
    I had the same on our v70r awd, but the hose came clean off and she didn't run at all well until it was fixed, took a little head scratching and finding, but a simple fix in the end.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MoleT-5R For This Useful Post:

foammanmark (Saturday 11th August 2018)

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    I had the same on our v70r awd, but the hose came clean off and she didn't run at all well until it was fixed, took a little head scratching and finding, but a simple fix in the end.
    Planning to take another look at mine as I have a metallic knocking noise on start up. Think the Mikalor clamp is catching something.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cheers for all the replies guys. Hopefully it looks promising then since I found quite a big air leak around my inlet manifold area today so that would cause the same kind of issues. Nice one

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Curleywhirly For This Useful Post:

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Curleywhirly View Post
    Cheers for all the replies guys. Hopefully it looks promising then since I found quite a big air leak around my inlet manifold area today so that would cause the same kind of issues. Nice one

Really hope that you are sorted.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foammanmark View Post
    Really hope that you are sorted.
    Cheers mate. I won't have much of a chance to take a proper look now with work but I'll let yous know how it goes.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Curleywhirly For This Useful Post:

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Curleywhirly View Post
    Cheers mate. I won't have much of a chance to take a proper look now with work but I'll let yous know how it goes.

My 2000 C70 T5 is going great, except for the driver's door window. Have screwdrivers and foam wedged in to keep it closed, so I must get it sorted.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Just to update.
    Thanks for all the help everyone!
    I read somewhere about the 2.3 t5 ME7 engines just really don't like BOV's and can act like this so I have temporarily blanked it and it's running sweet as a nut!
    I know it's not ideal but it's worth it for now and sounds so cool haha!
    Cheers!

Thread Information