Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

The Old 850 T5 to T5-R ECU swapping saga....

Hi Guys
    I know that topics similar to this have been discussed quite a few times on many Volvo forums and I am aware that certain ECUs can be swapped without any problems and some can't. I have a 1995 T5 manual, ECU number 261 200 549 and I have an ECU from a 1995 T5-R Auto, number 261 204 134 which has an Autotech chip (allegedly 300hp...but I doubt it will actually make that power with just a K&N filter!!). I know that this ECU will not run in my car, I tried it anyway and it does the turn over, fire and then immediately cut out trick.
    My questions are, is there any relatively simple way to make it work in my car?
    If not, then if I remove the chip from the board and put it in my original ECU will that work and give me the extra power???

Many thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give.
    Cheers
    Matt
    1995 Volvo T5 Estate....soon to be an homage to the 1994 Super Tourers!

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    It sounds like the immobilizer code is missing, so I doubt swapping the chips out will make any difference. Whilst typing I remembered a useful post from 960kg (Keith) a few months back, this would have been most useful to you as it does show the ecu's are not compatable. I'd think about flogging the ecu you have and getting another that will suit your car.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoleT-5R For This Useful Post:

charlesboya (Tuesday 28th August 2018),Flynny73 (Friday 10th August 2018)

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Matt, first thing to remember when going out to get a used ECU for one of these cars is to try the one you are interested in when fitted in your car. If as you are presently experiencing it will not run at all, just cutting out after maybe only a couple of cylinders fire then it is no good. If, on the other hand, it runs continuously, however roughly you can get that reflashed with whatever software calibrations you want.
    I can flash MTE's premium calibrations into those ECUs without opening them, either if you post it to me or come with the car.... in which case we know the installation is fine on the spot.

Don.
    MTE performance software, Ferrita stainless exhausts, TME stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to don kalmar union For This Useful Post:

Flynny73 (Friday 10th August 2018)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi Don
    Thanks for that, so if I send you my original ECU you can Flash it with an MTE upgrade?? If so what is the cost?
    Many thanks
    Matt
    1995 Volvo T5 Estate....soon to be an homage to the 1994 Super Tourers!

Thread Information