Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Suspension - again - sorry

So, I’ve trawled and searched but don’t seem to have found the answer i’m Looking for .... I have a ‘95 850 T5 auto estate which is on original suspension front and rear... have all the crashy wallowy symptoms of very tired shocks and springs/struts... so my question is, what are the options? What make to go with, original spec or stiffer/lower etc... I’m sure a complete refresh with all original spec shocks/springs/struts/bushes will transform the car but any advice or suggestions very welcome..
    TIA Richard

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    Go for BC coilovers (about £700 all for corners) or if your budget can stretch a set of KW V2s (£1300) With the correct spring weights & damper settings the ride will be transformed both for everyday driving & with a few clicks on the damper settings brilliant for more spirited efforts/trackday. Will feel like a modern car (baring wind noise possibly).

There are a mass of OEM /aftermarket replacement shocks & springs, but at the end of the day it's 20yr old suspension set up - coil overs have come a long way in the past 10 years & will out perform the original set up even when new - keeping the front suspension stiffer will.allow you too reduce front wheel & make.the car more predictable through the twisties. An updated ARB can help with his from IPD or similar. Don't forget top mounts, arb droplinks, TR ends, sub frame poly bushes, front wishbones, rear delta links & pretty much everything else rubber that will have perished over the past 20+yrs. Parts are cheap, labour will add up unless you fancy a crack, which most of us do. Worth the effort though, they can be a great sleeper & entertaining drive. If your going for extra power on the auto get a Aux trans fluid cooler - extra HP = extra heat = transmission death. 300bhp will be your realistic limit with the auto. Good luck & happy modding!

Cheers, Morgan
    Last edited by Shinsplintz 101; Wednesday 8th August 2018 at 20:17.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:

baconsarney (Friday 10th August 2018),LeeT5 (Saturday 11th August 2018)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi Morgan thanks for the info, very interesting and muchly appreciated...

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    lol...I think most are at the suspension fully needs to be re-built stage tbh... my cars included, some of mine have had new shocks all round etc... but you still find them wanting something more...lol

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

This user has no status

Thanks
    I concur on the BC BR coilovers, have them fitted to my estate and they're a great combo of good handling and nice ride. Bit awkward to adjust on the rear by all accounts - job I need to get to myself - but it's not like that's a job you do on a regular basis anyway.

Thread Information