Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Fuel pressure regulator location

As per title on a 1997 V70R. I thought it was located just forward of the fuel filter, but seemingly not..

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    should be on the fuel rail for that year afaik, the same as the 850's

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    The FPR was relocated down the back of the engine (on the late 850s onwards apparently).

If you follow the fuel lines from the fuel rail down the back of the engine it should be just visible (on top of the engine subframe by the steering rack).
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks Gents - Im going to change mine as a matter of course! I have a lingering 0172 code that won't go away (all the usual stuff has been done, now I have to concentrate on the unusual....)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Then again thinking on about this issue, from my experience on my remapped car it, isn't unusual to see this code as it does relate to long term fuel trim, I get this when cruising on the motorway on long journeys to the drag strip, only seems to occur when high speeds are constant for long distances, regular variations in load and speeds seem to avoid this, I've come to believe that it's more down to a mapping error in the code, than an actual issue with the cars running and I do monitor my afr's with a good wide band gauge.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    I've come to believe that it's more down to a mapping error in the code, than an actual issue with the cars running.
    Strongly agree and I have long considered some error as you say, or the software simply going bad somehow.

I also agree about the load variation thing - It seems to be much better when using a wide rev band, then all of a sudden after a stable period of driving (or idling) it will throw it.

All that said, the car does have a very slight exhaust leak on the turbo flange to downpipe. This was a result of me fitting a 3" downpipe and not being able to get it fully sealed. I never thought this was a reason for the code though as it kept throwing it with the Standard exhaust as well.

I'm assuming when it occurs on your 99 ME7 R the ECU restricts the boost by a few psi?? It certainly does on mine (pre Me7) and the only way to restore full boost is to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes or so. Just cancelling the code with a basic reader doesn't cut it.

How do I read AFR's and what is it/are they?? I have one of those Bluetooth OBD readers that link to a smartphone - but it seems the old Motronic ECU is a bit old for it??!!

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzzleflash View Post
    How do I read AFR's and what is it/are they?? I have one of those Bluetooth OBD readers that link to a smartphone - but it seems the old Motronic ECU is a bit old for it??!!
    The bluetooth reader should work but being an older car the refresh rate is very slow.

And being an older car the O2 sensor is only a narrowband which means you won't be able to read AFR. You have to fit a wideband O2 sensor and separate controller/display to read the full AFR.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status

Thanks
    As you are the later 4.4 this should help you??

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 960kg; Tuesday 7th August 2018 at 11:14.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzzleflash View Post
    Strongly agree and I have long considered some error as you say, or the software simply going bad somehow.

I also agree about the load variation thing - It seems to be much better when using a wide rev band, then all of a sudden after a stable period of driving (or idling) it will throw it.

All that said, the car does have a very slight exhaust leak on the turbo flange to downpipe. This was a result of me fitting a 3" downpipe and not being able to get it fully sealed. I never thought this was a reason for the code though as it kept throwing it with the Standard exhaust as well.

I'm assuming when it occurs on your 99 ME7 R the ECU restricts the boost by a few psi?? It certainly does on mine (pre Me7) and the only way to restore full boost is to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes or so. Just cancelling the code with a basic reader doesn't cut it.

I get the code on my 855 T-5r (motronic 4.3), but does not seem to effect the performance much if any, but does chuck up the MIL/Lambda light. I just normally cleared the code if the code came up before I was racing or just allowed it to put the light out itself by returning to varied driving over about 50 miles ( i.e. back to normal traffic, not motorway constant speeds). The code normally clears itself then. Hoping to be running data-logging shortly and will then be able to see exactly when this occurs. Lambda sensors could possibly cause this when they start to fail as long term trims are measured as smaller differences over a longer time period before flagged the error, than short term trims which appear to allow larger differences but measured over a shorter time period, before getting flagged, as I understand it and thus why I'm not too fussed by the code on my car, when it occurs from time to time. You may find you still have a very small vac/boost leak, not noticeable under driving to you, but long term your ecu and sensors could be realising that somethings not quite right. It could only need a pin hole in a vac pipe or elbow.

As for OBD readers I go with what Dave says and they are very limited on the data you can get (if the one you have will connect at all, which is normally my problem with obd connection). The installation of wideband air/fuel ratio (afr) gauge with it's own dedicated wideband lambda sensor is a very good move on our cars to really be able to see how fueling is behaving. I am currently using AEM's excellent wideband afr gauge which has the added bonus of being dual display and show boost and afr, in what configuration you set at the same time, the fail-safe version has the added bonus of being able to data-log afr/boost and rpm as well, but will set you back a good few pounds though.

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post

Nice find Keith, I'd be very suspicious of the vac pipe to the fuel pressure regulator and the little rubber elbow into the inlet manifold on left hand end, hidden behind the power steering pump, both are easy to miss when tracing boost/vac leaks and are most probably badly perished by now, if still the original items.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Well, thank you for all the responses! I've just driven around 40 miles and it's thrown the p0172 again (as usual) and this time a p0131 (signal low pre cat 02 sensor). Both lambdas were replaced last year though.......

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    Nice find Keith, I'd be very suspicious of the vac pipe to the fuel pressure regulator and the little rubber elbow into the inlet manifold on left hand end, hidden behind the power steering pump, both are easy to miss when tracing boost/vac leaks and are most probably badly perished by now, if still the original items.
    When I replaced the turbo hoses and NRV's last week (separate thread) I checked the infamaous elbow by the PS pump too. It's good and was replaced as part of a PCV change 30k miles ago in 2012. Spraying carb cleaner around it on idle yielded no increase in rpm. The vac hose to FPR is what I wanted to check, as it's no doubt original. If pulled off the NRV and it leaks fuel the regulator is toast apparently. Rare though so it seems, but worth a shot..

ETA: Just ordered a front 02 sensor and will fit tomorrow. Maybe the new one I fitted last November was faulty..
    Last edited by Muzzleflash; Tuesday 7th August 2018 at 13:21.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post

Thanks for that - I did see something similar around the web, so the FPR was next on my list. The equivalent EFI code I'm getting to 0172 is 231 btw and as per above the car has now thrown a p0131....

Thread Information