Join Today
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: D5 misfire?

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davebb View Post
    Hi I would say it could be the LP pump not working as it should, you can get a pressure gauge kit cheap, or a leaking injector,
    Dave
    Thanks Dave I'll try a few more things, I have ordered Liqui Moly and pipe so I'll do that then Im cutting my losses and selling it
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11614&dateline=143983  7674

2004 - V70 D5 -'Black Bess' - The new addition
    2002 - C70 T5 'Ragetty Anne' - awaiting rebuild long term storage

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Fuel is not sucked into the injectors, the fuel pressure should be minimum 280Bar in the rail to start. Once started, the fuel pressure is kept at a regulated pressure by the FP regulator. A fuel pressure sensor, determines if enough pressure is present in the rail to enable the car to run.
    The injectors simply open/close when switched by the ECM.
    Looking at those fault codes and your symptoms I’d say you have either a faulty regulator or more commonly, the FPS is faulty.
    Sticking/faulty EGR valve would cause it to not restart, especially when cold rather than hot.
    However, once running they never normally cause an engine to just cut out and certainly don’t cause a misfire.
    If the LP pump (or electric pump in the tank) is not running, then the car would never start in the first place.
    I will also say this; on rare occasions it has been known for sludge to build up in the tank. This is sucked into the filter and will cause a low fuel pressure fault code. It will cause the car to cut out eventually and lack of power/performance.

Hi Lee do you mean 280 PSI rather than Bar as that seems horrendously high and I can't find a pressure test kit that goes that high!
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11614&dateline=143983  7674

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tee5alive View Post
    Hi Lee do you mean 280 PSI rather than Bar as that seems horrendously high and I can't find a pressure test kit that goes that high!
    No, I mean 280bar NOT psi.
    280Bar is standard starting pressure for most high pressure diesels. When under load at high rpm, the pressure can be as much as 2000Bar in the fuel rail, yes, 2000Bar!! Which is why you should never ‘crack’ the injectors on a high pressure diesel as they will invariably leak, unless you fit new injector seals.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Monday 2nd July 2018 at 14:37.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Tee5alive (Monday 2nd July 2018)

Gizza job!
    Thanks
    If the LP pump (or electric pump in the tank) is not running, then the car would never start in the first place.
    Not true. My experience is the car will start and run just fine with a knackered in tank pump. You're likely to "run out" of fuel due to it not transferring from one side of the tank to the other, but other than that it'll be ok.

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    No, I mean 280bar NOT psi.
    280Bar is standard starting pressure for most high pressure diesels. When under load at high rpm, the pressure can be as much as 2000Bar in the fuel rail, yes, 2000Bar!! Which is why you should never ‘crack’ the injectors on a high pressure diesel as they will invariably leak, unless you fit new injector seals.

OK Lee cheers I need to find a fuel test kit that will go up to that pressure.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Read the High pressure with a OBD2 and see if it is in spec, I can give you readings from mine if you need it, look at sirobb youtube , I think he shows it at 700rpm,
    Dave

8. The Following User Says Thank You to davebb For This Useful Post:

Tee5alive (Tuesday 3rd July 2018)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    OK Lee cheers I need to find a fuel test kit that will go up to that pressure.
    Use VIDA to see 'live readings' or 'Actual data'.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Tee5alive (Tuesday 3rd July 2018)

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    Many thanks guys I'll get on it

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    This explains symtoms and clear understanding of how Diesel injectors fail on a common rail system:

The fact your symptoms are a misfire, bad starting and long cranking are all indicative of a failing injector.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

davebb (Wednesday 4th July 2018),MoleT-5R (Wednesday 4th July 2018)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks Dave I'll try a few more things, I have ordered Liqui Moly and pipe so I'll do that then Im cutting my losses and selling it
    How are you getting on with your D5
    Thanks Dave

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    Not had a spare minute to get near it Dave. I have been assembling the kit to do a Liqui Poly purge on it. Trouble is I have to get my old dads house ready to sell as hes gone into a home now and needs the money! Up to my neck in work!

This will be the last chance for the D5 to shape up after the injector and EGR clean. If its still misfiring I have no more time to waste on a car thats SUPPOSED to be my run about to use whilst I get the 2 T5's repaired and MOT'd! Its let me down from day one if I cant get a decent price for it I'll scrap it - IM THAT angry with it.

I never thought a Diesel Volvo would be such a POS!!! I was looking forward to trying out a Diesel on the long runs I do - but after this experience i will NEVER buy another diesel anything! My PETROL T5's never miss a beat the V70 even got me home on 4 pots once when it lost a plug! THATS RELIABLE!

I'll update you when I can get time to work on it.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi let me know how you get on,
    Were is your dads house, is it near me, I am in Hampshire,
    Dave

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    Hi Dave

no right down by the coast in Sussex! Cheers mate

This user has no status

Thanks
    ok
    I hope all is well,
    let use know how the car is,
    good luck, Dave

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks

Misfire update

Today I actually got a few hours to work on the 'heap' so did the diesel purge. Sadly NOT ONE BIT of rubbish came out showing that the injectors are SPOTLESS! However as I had to remove the fuse for the LP pump in the tank, whilst running on the purge jollop........NO MISFIRE???? I ran 1 litre of DP through the injectors roughly 45 minutes with varying throttle opening particularly the misfire range of 1500- 2000. Im not sure though as there MIGHT still be a little roughness there.

A chap in a unit next to mine came in, he runs a small garage and he showed me the injector looms often fail on the D5!!! I removed each one and reseated it but they do need cleaning with electrolube. Replaced all the pipes, replaced the fuse started up for leak tests again NO MISFIRE Hmmmm??

The only way it manifest sitself is on a run on the motorway between 20 - 30 miles then drops into 'wimp mode' so I need to take it on a test run one evening when the flippin sun has ****ed off so if im stuck on the hard shoulder I wont be dying from sunstroke! Anyway if this thing fails on me again its the cutting torch for it or ebay! It was SUPPOSED to be a run about to get me around to sort my T5's out and its failed miserably! The chap with the garage told me "D5's are great when they behave - but if they get a problem - look out!"

Running the purge

Name:  p4.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  111.5 KB

Nothing yet in the jar?

Name:  p3.jpg
Size:  96.0 KB

After test NOTHING no debris or anything so a clean injector system?

Name:  p2.jpg
Size:  100.8 KB

Fliter also spotless??

Name:  p1.jpg
Size:  91.6 KB

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi it may be worth tacking out the fuel pump and have a look at the filter on the fuel pump in the tank to see if it is a restriction also get a cheap £10 low fuel pressure gauge
    and connect it up to were you now have new clips an see if the pressure is constant,
    Dave

21. The Following User Says Thank You to davebb For This Useful Post:

Tee5alive (Friday 27th July 2018)

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    On VIDA the fuel rail is at high pressure according to readings?

Ill take it on a road test to see what happens! If it goes again ill take in limp mode to the nearest crusher!

Thanks dave

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi The in-tank fuel pump is low pressure ,
    Dave

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    oh DUUUH yes of course, what sort of pressure would you expect to see?

This user has no status

Thanks

Thread Information